PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Two Inch Driver

Chas
06-08-2004, 05:51 AM
During the upcoming weekend I hope to remove my 2440/1 drivers currently mounted to 2397's perched on top of my 4505 cabinets and install them on the front baffle, attached to 2311 horns and 2308 lenses. They will be replacing 2420/2312/2308's.

The thing is, I don't think it is mechanically sound to let a 24 pound driver hang in mid-air with no support, so I have some flat strips of 11 gauge steel "hangers" ready to use but now I am debating how to attach them to the inside of the top of the box.

I have been thinking of perhaps glueing and screwing a 2X4 on its short side to the inside top of the box. However, given the cabinet wall thickness of only a 3/4", I am wondering if the screws will bite in enough to provide real strength. Sure, the glue will help but we are talking about a 24 Lb driver here!

Anybody have any experience they would like to share?

Hofmannhp
06-08-2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Chas
...............The thing is, I don't think it is mechanically sound to let a 24 pound driver hang in mid-air with no support, so I have some flat strips of 11 gauge steel "hangers" ready to use but now I am debating how to attach them to the inside of the top of the box.
I have been thinking of perhaps glueing and screwing a 2X4 on its short side to the inside top of the box. However, given the cabinet wall thickness of only a 3/4", I am wondering if the screws will bite in enough to provide real strength. Sure, the glue will help but we are talking about a 24 Lb driver here!

Anybody have any experience they would like to share?

Hi Chas,

whats about doing it in the way JBL's solution in the 4435, like shown in 4435_ cutbb.pdf

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2355&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

(my post from 6.01.2004, 11:50)
HP

Chas
06-08-2004, 07:49 AM
whats about doing it in the way JBL's solution in the 4435, like shown in 4435_ cutbb.pdf

I should have mentioned that I don't want to drill holes through the outside of the enclosure now they have been painted:banghead:

That means I'll have to screw the bracing 2X4 in from the inside. On the other hand, if I have to.......I'll have to!

:biting:

Hofmannhp
06-08-2004, 08:10 AM
I should have mentioned that I don't want to drill holes through the outside of the enclosure now they have been painted:banghead:

That means I'll have to screw the bracing 2X4 in from the inside. On the other hand, if I have to.......I'll have to!

:biting:

Hi again Chas,

I don't think that you have to drill from outside. Just take a conter-bracing and glue from the inside. The , from the inside screwed conter bracing, adds some glueable surface to the main bracing from front to backwall. You can choose 4" x 1" bracing.

HP

PS (only thinking about:hmm: )

Hofmannhp
06-08-2004, 08:22 AM
........... on top of my 4505 cabinets and install them on the front baffle, ....

how does it look like.....the 4505.....I don't know this speaker.
can you post a pic.

HP

Chas
06-08-2004, 08:43 AM
how does it look like.....the 4505

It looks like a 4320 (actually it was an infamous 4325), I have added holes for 2405H mirror imaged.