PDA

View Full Version : altec 806 a

kelly0995
06-20-2009, 07:34 PM
hi all,
my first time here, what brought me here ? went out this morning for some coffee.... poked around a local thrift store , and under a bunch of junk, saw some big ol speakers.., looked a little closer & saw down in the right hand corner of the grill an altec emblem. for the past several years ive been enjoying the hobby of vintage audio, im now starting to learn about speakers, just recently aquired a pair of frazier mark v's, (love em), and in my read's , altec's allways been a respected name. the price tag on em was 99.00 dollars.... took em home.
the model # sheets on the back 's gone, took the back off and found 806 a on the horn, and on the magnet on the 15" has a #416-z, looked on ebay and saw a couple different pairs the same ,valencia's ? the condition , very good ,i think it's my lucky day.
gettin ready to hook them up to a scott 222c, i'll report back with results...anybody have a pair of these & what's your take

robertbartsch
06-21-2009, 01:27 AM
Components are voice of the thearter

Goodwill_HiFi
06-21-2009, 11:35 AM
.........very good ,i think it's my lucky day.

That's an understatement! They're worth much more than what you paid!

What kind of condition is everything in?

kelly0995
06-21-2009, 01:38 PM
That's an understatement! They're worth much more than what you paid!

What kind of condition is everything in?
the conditions very good the components in side, driver, horn ,crossover , etc. near perfect, i dont think the back has ever been off. the cabinets very solid, just dirty,&dusty like they been stored in a garage for many years. hooked them up to a scott 222c ...wow.. they sound beautiful, very efficient, makes my scott seem like a power house. i bet a nice little single ended amp would sound nice with these.
the cabinets are sort of medium brown, im guessing birch , with large like moulding around the bottom , and slightly smaller moulding around the top. it has a cheezy kinda spanish,wroghtiron type grill with altec emblems in bottom right hand corner. the cloth behind the grills is tan , kinda like what you see on ar's . the horns have h-811 b in the casting , and the drivers have 416 z stamp. on the horn magnet is a decal with 806 a.
are these called the "valencia" ?

Tom Brennan
06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Valencia or a similar model.

Look at the old Altec catalogs in this site's library.

kelly0995
06-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Valencia or a similar model.

Look at the old Altec catalogs in this site's library.
thanks tom , i found them , 1971,"flamenco 848 a" same as the valinca and milano only different cab. styleing.