PDA

View Full Version : They sound better !

midlife
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Has anyone thought their speakers sound better without the grille cloth frames?

JBL 4645
06-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Now that is cosmetic appearance and its only going to be a few db unless you play pink noise signal while on the RTA you’d see a tiny, tiny drop and I’m real peaky but that tiny amount isn’t going to bother me.

I’ve placed a micro perforated screen sample in front of the HF and the level on the RTA was tiny drop. I mean a real tiny drop not HUGE decrease or real loss.

hjames
06-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Yep, depending on your tweeters, a lot of people agree with you and remove the grills for critical listening ...

OR - for systems with no high end adjustment, some leave the grills on to take the edge off a pair of titanium tweeters ...

midlife
06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Has anyone thought their speakers sound better without the grille cloth frames? I do notice a difference on the L65s, like them better sans grilles. Should I use the presence and brilliance adj for compensation or the bass and treble via the preamp? Everything is set to neutral presently.

SEAWOLF97
06-20-2009, 04:51 PM

Yep, depending on your tweeters, a lot of people agree with you and remove the grills for critical listening ...

OR - for systems with no high end adjustment, some leave the grills on to take the edge off a pair of titanium tweeters ...

With my grills on - the tweets are still exposed, BUT still they sound better with the grills OFF.

BMWCCA
06-20-2009, 06:08 PM
With my grills on - the tweets are still exposed, BUT still they sound better with the grills OFF.
Now try them glasses on v. off. :D

midlife
06-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Now try them glasses on v. off. :D Dayum! glasses off is betterer, said the blind man to his deaf wife...:blink:

4313B
06-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Then try them after carefully cleaning the wax out of your ears with a Q-Tip.

Yeah, yeah, never stick anything smaller than your elbow into your ear... :blah: :blah: :blah:

midlife
06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Expanding on the original topic, and learning all the while :)

4313B
06-20-2009, 06:39 PM
OR - for systems with no high end adjustment, some leave the grills on to take the edge off a pair of titanium tweeters ...Or for systems with an 075 I just bolt a 3/4" piece of plywood over the front of the 075... "t'ain't no grill gonna fix dat chit!"

BMWCCA
06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Or for systems with an 075 I just bolt a 3/4" piece of plywood over the front of the 075...So cruel! ;)

I love my old 075s, but then we grew up together and maybe they, like me, aren't as sharp as they used to be? :(

4313B
06-20-2009, 07:11 PM
So cruel! ;):D

Mr. Widget
06-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Or for systems with an 075 I just bolt a 3/4" piece of plywood over the front of the 075... "t'ain't no grill gonna fix dat chit!":rotfl:

My mind leaks like a sieve... I remember someone who tested a fair number of loudspeaker, might have been Joseph D'Appolito or John Atkinson, saying that they always measured systems with the grilles on and off and virtually none offered their best performance with grilles on... or even equivalent performance with the grilles on. Essentially a grille will negatively affect the performance of a speaker system... the degree to which it does this depends on the grille material and the speaker design.

Widget

JBL 4645
06-21-2009, 06:33 AM
What about using a vacuum cleaner to suck up most the dust build up on the cloth, yeah I’m sure that will clog up some of the HF from passing though.;)

toddalin
06-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Dayum! glasses off is betterer, said the blind man to his deaf wife...:blink:

As I've been saying all along.

:thmbsup: