PDA

View Full Version : Latest surround

rgwalker
06-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I just set up a pair of 604-8Gs (in parallel) as a center speaker between a pair of Olympus S7s fronts. The receiver is a Sony DA3100ES 7.1 with 100 watts per channel. TV, DVDs and DTS discs all sound absolutely amazing.

I have a single Heil AMT-1 tweeter that I'm going to hook up to the Altecs and I'm sure that it will be an improvement but there's no obvious lack of high end.

The Altecs are cut 3db to match the JBLs and I have Infinity rears that are boosted 6db. They are OK for movie effects but really don't match up with surround music and I'll replace them soon with a pair of Valencias or 604Es that are sitting in the garage.

I have a 12" 300 watt sub that is disguised as a cherry wood end table that sits against a wall with DVDs stacked on it.

I'm amazed how good the system sounds only a few feet away.

Bob Walker

1audiohack
06-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Very cool!

Titanium Dome
06-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Looks nice. That's an impressive front. I'll bet it's very enjoyable. :yes:

JBL 4645
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Play pink noise all-channels and go though each one at time while looking at the SPL db and frequency response on an RTA I’m sure a little EQ balancing or re-arranging of the speakers would make difference

From the looks I bet the room jumps around a bit :p I know slight exaggeration you don’t want glasses jugs windows rattling as it’s a major distraction.;)

It’s a bit hard to see the centre another picture with the flash ON?

rgwalker
06-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Play pink noise all-channels and go though each one at time while looking at the SPL db and frequency response on an RTA I’m sure a little EQ balancing or re-arranging of the speakers would make difference

From the looks I bet the room jumps around a bit :p I know slight exaggeration you don’t want glasses jugs windows rattling as it’s a major distraction.;)

It’s a bit hard to see the centre another picture with the flash ON?

Thanks for the advice. It can get loud but we don't ever have it high enough to rattle the windows, or at least hear them, and the only things that jump when there's an explosion are the cats. The knick knacks are heavy and/or out of the line of fire and we don't have much hanging on the walls. Two of the three walls are exterior and the other has a large louvered opening into the next room. If I want to play it as loud as it will go I'll have to isolate the DVD players.

I don't have the expertise or the gear to do all that tech stuff and other than crossovers everything is set flat. Other than the rears it's well balanced and there aren't any room issues that my old rock & roll ears can hear. What they do hear is great sound and the JBLs with the 375 drivers give it a real deep 'theater' experience. They are both very good near field monitors and the sound is really even across the room. Maybe the subtle things will become more evident if and when the novelty wears off and if so I have several good EQs.

I still want to upgrade the rears and if I get carried away I have four McIntosh MC30s for the Altecs and a Crown DC300A for the JBLs. The JBLs don't seem to like the 30 watt tube amps.

The picture is with a flash. It's tough because it's black on glossy black, the light is terrible and the automatic exposure is optimized for the picture. I'll post a close up if you'd like but they are 604-8Gs in 4.5 cu ft boxes with stock 604-8G crossovers.

Mostly it's for fun and I don't want to get too carried away or attached to it. Eventually the JBLs, the 604-8Gs and the Valencias along with a bunch of stuff including the amps and EQs will be sold but the market is very soft right now and I have no intention of losing any money.

Bob Walker

JBL 4645
06-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Yeah your right about the DVD player a certain frequency SPL db will vibrate the player with possible skipping of the laser beam.

To hear rattles a frequency sweep from the lowest to around cut-off point will determine if there are any rattles in the room. The floor looks sound, is that ceramic tiled over a wooden floor or is it concrete with ceramic tiles laid over it?

rgwalker
06-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah your right about the DVD player a certain frequency SPL db will vibrate the player with possible skipping of the laser beam.

To hear rattles a frequency sweep from the lowest to around cut-off point will determine if there are any rattles in the room. The floor looks sound, is that ceramic tiled over a wooden floor or is it concrete with ceramic tiles laid over it?

Ahhhh. That sounds very handy. I'll get a tone generator someday and give it a try. Any suggestions for something good but cheap?

The floor is tile over concrete and the only interior wall in the room is load bearing and very solid. Although the room where the system is located is quite small it opens into the kitchen area, which has built in appliances, solid cherry cabinets, tile floor and granite countertops that we keep uncluttered. However, the room where my main stereo system is located is a bonus room over the garage and it's the office/rec room with lots of stuff that can rattle. I don't know if it's because the sound is very clean and even without a sub I can push it to the point of vibrating the floor and the only two things that seem to rattle are an Acoustic Electric Bass that I'll turn around in the stand to mute the strings and a little toy that swears when touched. It's a very exceptional system and has the tighest and fattest bottom end that I've heard outside of a studio.

Bob Walker

AltecLansingFan
06-22-2009, 04:23 AM
I just set up a pair of 604-8Gs (in parallel) as a center speaker between a pair of Olympus S7s fronts. The receiver is a Sony DA3100ES 7.1 with 100 watts per channel. TV, DVDs and DTS discs all sound absolutely amazing.

I have a single Heil AMT-1 tweeter that I'm going to hook up to the Altecs and I'm sure that it will be an improvement but there's no obvious lack of high end.

The Altecs are cut 3db to match the JBLs and I have Infinity rears that are boosted 6db. They are OK for movie effects but really don't match up with surround music and I'll replace them soon with a pair of Valencias or 604Es that are sitting in the garage.

I have a 12" 300 watt sub that is disguised as a cherry wood end table that sits against a wall with DVDs stacked on it.

I'm amazed how good the system sounds only a few feet away.

Bob Walker

Bob, where you have remained the stove? If it will freeze in Henderson, it is, however, a smattering cold without it. :dont-know

BTW I forgot the drawing, I'll mail you the drawing (crossover) tonight.

Doc Mark
06-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Morning, Bob, AltecLansingFan, and All,

Bob, very nice system you've assembled! I'm sure the sound is huge, detailed, and outstanding!! One question, though, if I may? Now that you have a fantastic JBL/Altec system, how could you bring yourself to sell it??? I know, speaking only for myself and Sweet Bride, now that we have what we consider our "dream" system, we could never part with it, unless we went "up" in JBL-ness!! ;):D Otherwise, we would never be satisfied with anything less. Don't you think it might be the same with you? No problem, either way, just asking...

ALF, I don't think you should worry too much about Henderson, NV ever getting "too" cold! ;);) Most of the time, with the type of weather that they usually get, I'd bet Bob could fry eggs on the congrete sidewalk!! :eek::shock::yes::yes: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

1audiohack
06-22-2009, 09:04 AM
We get cold enough to freeze break engine blocks, water mains and kill trees once in about every 10 -12 years! That's cold enough for me!

rg if you ever want to measure anything I probably have the stuff to do it. It could be fun...

AltecLansingFan
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM
We get cold enough to freeze break engine blocks, water mains and kill trees once in about every 10 -12 years! That's cold enough for me!

rg if you ever want to measure anything I probably have the stuff to do it. It could be fun...

I think he will appreciate that very much, I will mail him tonight and tell him about your post on this forum. Thanks

John
06-22-2009, 12:49 PM
We get cold enough to freeze break engine blocks

I find that hard to believe. :hmm:

Doc Mark
06-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Greetings, All,

As a Pro musician, I worked in Las Vegas, amongst many other places, for a very long time. In all that time, I've seen balmy weather, now and then, but NEVER saw anything that even came close to a freeze, much less something that would break engine blocks! I think we're being put-on, at least a little bit!! ;) Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rgwalker
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Morning, Bob, AltecLansingFan, and All,

I'm sure the sound is huge, detailed, and outstanding!! One question, though, if I may? Now that you have a fantastic JBL/Altec system, how could you bring yourself to sell it?

Every Good Wish,
Doc

I probably won't be able to sell it and it's going to be even more difficult when I tweak it. However, while it's a very desireable system it's not the dream system, which is upstairs.

Evert (Altec Lansing Fan) put the idea into my head to build it about a year ago when I was trying to sell some Model 19s. His system uses 416-8Bs and modified Model 19 crossovers but I sold my 19s and it took me almost six months to gather the components and put it together. Even though I had spent quite a bit on money on the components I couldn't believe that it could be much better than my stock Altec 620As with a McIntosh amp and preamp and I wasn't very motivated to do it.

I finally did it last Christmas. I couldn't believe my ears when I hooked them up for the first time and the excitement hasn't diminished six months later.

Bob Walker

rgwalker
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Email me with your name and phone number and I'll give you a call to set something up. I live near 215 and Eastern.

Bob Walker
www.walker-entertainment.com (http://www.walker-entertainment.com)

rgwalker
06-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Email me with your name and phone number and I'll give you a call to set something up. I live near 215 and Eastern.

Bob Walker
www.walker-entertainment.com (http://www.walker-entertainment.com)

whoops...........
[email protected]

1audiohack
06-22-2009, 07:00 PM
I find that hard to believe. :hmm:

That's understandable. We have a racing powertrain shop and every year we get "froze broke" engines and "V" drives as well as heat exchangers as most times there is no antifreeze in them. A very expensive mistake.

John
06-22-2009, 10:00 PM
That's understandable. We have a racing powertrain shop and every year we get "froze broke" engines and "V" drives as well as heat exchangers as most times there is no antifreeze in them. A very expensive mistake.

Well sure but they most likly were up in southern Utah or northern Nevada when the mercury took a nose dive. :scold:

As well your talking marine engines, anti freeze mix is best but a well drained block is just as good.:D

1audiohack
06-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Well sure but they most likly were up in southern Utah or northern Nevada when the mercury took a nose dive. :scold:

I don't want to get this thread cast into the off topic file but curiosity compells me to ask why this seems impossible to you?

I moved here in 1988. In 1989 we had a long freeze that broke my water main (copper), killed two of my queen palms and my pink ironbark eukalyptus tree. My next door neighbor had between 3/8 and 1/2 inch of ice in the top of his in-ground pool. That was the worst one in my time here but it freezes here, every year.

Maybe you have lived here or know someone who does, I don't know.

I don't know much about where you live and I'm OK with that.

Cheers