PDA

View Full Version : Blown W15GTI Mk2

bladebarrier
06-17-2009, 07:01 PM
I only got to enjoy my GTI for about 3 months before I roasted it. Is there any way to fix it?

I loved the SQ of it, and it produced powerful output well into the very deepest ranges.

I was running a JL Audio 1000/1 slash amp into it, but my car alternator is only about 70 amps, so I was surprised to think I could overpower the 750watt RMS rating of the sub. I never ran it for hours straight in high heat, though it was a sealed box. The box was filled per the suggestions. I realize the amp is rated higher than the sub, so I assume full resposibility.

Any suggestions?

I'm ready to sell the amp, drop the GTI series altogether, and just go to a basic small sub/amp combo, because replacing GTI mk2's at full price wouldn't be an option.

LowPhreak
06-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Get it reconed.

Slare
06-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Was it used? Do you have any warranty claim rights?

I've used a single P series (P1222) in a spec built ported box with only 150 rms going to it in a Trailblazer and it played louder than anyone could stand being in the truck for, for more than a song or two. It was in no way an SPL contest truck but for actual listening purposes, it was plenty.

I've never heard Mk's before but I have to think the P-series would be a good cost/value compromise. It's (the P1222) the best $130 12" I've heard.

bladebarrier
06-18-2009, 04:27 PM
I didn't even think to check the warranty.

I bought it brand new.

The JBL site states that the warranty is 3 years!

I guess I jumped the gun, and need to look into it being serviced. :applaud:

Hopefully it's not an issue that I didn't buy it from JBL directly, but it wasn't like an ebay purchase, or anything along those lines.

Thanks!