PDA

View Full Version : DSOTM, Pink Floyd

Hoerninger
06-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Tales from the Dark Side
James Guthrie talks about his great gig in the studio remixing Pink Floyd's classic in surround
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/445/tales-from-the-dark-side.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/445/tales-from-the-dark-side-page2.html

Another Phase of the Moon
Original engineer Alan Parsons explains why the SACD mix doesn't speak to him
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/444/another-phase-of-the-moon.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/444/another-phase-of-the-moon-page2.html

Pink Floyd - ‘Dark Side of the Moon’
A DVD-Audio review by Nicholas D. Satullo
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=12583627

Four Sides Of The Moon
by Alan Parsons originally published in Studio Sound magazine (now defunct), June 1975
http://www.stereosociety.com/FourSides.html

Titanium Dome
06-17-2009, 06:30 AM
Very interesting! Thanks for compiling these links. :yes:

Now, about the L7 version... ;)

hjames
06-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Awesome links, very interesting - thank you for sharing them!

Tales from the Dark Side
James Guthrie talks about his great gig in the studio remixing Pink Floyd's classic in surround
[/URL]

Another Phase of the Moon
Original engineer Alan Parsons explains why the SACD mix doesn't speak to him
(http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/features/445/tales-from-the-dark-side.html)

Pink Floyd - ‘Dark Side of the Moon’
A DVD-Audio review by Nicholas D. Satullo

Four Sides Of The Moon
by Alan Parsons originally published in Studio Sound magazine (now defunct), June 1975
[URL]http://www.stereosociety.com/FourSides.html (http://www.highfidelityreview.com/reviews/review.asp?reviewnumber=12583627)

toobwacky
06-17-2009, 12:08 PM
If anyone has the DSOTM SACD I have a question. Is the standard CD layer the same mix as is available on the standard CDs or is it a new 2 channel mix-down derived from the remastered surround sound mix?

I have the standard DSOTM CD, remastered in 1992, and think its sonics are just okay. I truly wish George Martin had recorded this landmark album instead of Alan Parsons because it would, no doubt, sound much better.

toddalin
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
If anyone has the DSOTM SACD I have a question. Is the standard CD layer the same mix as is available on the standard CDs or is it a new 2 channel mix-down derived from the remastered surround sound mix?

I have the standard DSOTM CD, remastered in 1992, and think its sonics are just okay. I truly wish George Martin had recorded this landmark album instead of Alan Parsons because it would, no doubt, sound much better.

I typically don't listen to the stereo version on my SACD. But I can tell you from a quick check that the stereo version on the SACD is ~5 dBA hotter than the original CD.

LowPhreak
06-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Meh. I'm happy with the MoFi CD version.

JBL 4645
06-18-2009, 06:28 AM
He likes cats. :D

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/assets/image/520200317481.jpg

MikeBrewster77
06-18-2009, 08:21 AM
So, I guess I'm the only one stuck with the hybrid disc whose SACD player won't recognize the SACD layer? :banghead:

Sucks to be me :(

Hoerninger
06-18-2009, 08:37 AM
I'm the only one stuck with the hybrid disc whose SACD player won't recognize the SACD layer?

Not completely :) . Once I bought a hybrid via the bay and it did not work in SACD. D..n Epay I thought, but then I recognized that some other SACDs were not recognized anymore. :hmm: New player?
No, a Laser Lens Cleaner (DVD disc) made all fine again.

hjames
06-18-2009, 09:06 AM
So, I guess I'm the only one stuck with the hybrid disc whose SACD player won't recognize the SACD layer? :banghead:

How many SACD discs do you have?
Are they all failing, or just the one ...

MikeBrewster77
06-18-2009, 09:24 AM
How many SACD discs do you have?
Are they all failing, or just the one ...

Just a handful - about a dozen or so but this is the only one that's ever been an issue. The player hasn't recognized the SACD layer since the first day I took the disc out of the jewel case. :(

Hoerninger's thought on giving the player a cleaning certainly couldn't hurt. I'll have to give that a try, though I suspect I'd be having issues with more than one disc if that was the problem.

Robh3606
06-18-2009, 07:57 PM

That's odd. I have used it in a Sony DVD/SACD and now a Denon universal and never had an issue with any of the Hybrid disks. Hope I don't regret saying that:blink:. I don't have a lot of them but what I do have have all been no issue playing. I like the Hybrid disks.

Rob:)

MikeBrewster77
06-18-2009, 08:32 PM
That's odd. I have used it in a Sony DVD/SACD and now a Denon universal and never had an issue with any of the Hybrid disks.

That actually is really odd considering that a Denon universal is the player that won't recognize this specific disc. It's the only issue I've ever had - do you the DSOTM hybrid?

Robh3606
06-18-2009, 08:52 PM
I've ever had - do you the DSOTM hybrid?

Yes as a matter of fact I saw this thread and decided to play it. I was listening to it tonight. All three versions seem to work fine. I can get SACD 2 and 6 channel as well as the stereo CD track. How is your disc do have any cracks around the spindle hole?? Mine does but they don't actually go into the disk at all.

Rob:)

MikeBrewster77
06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Y I was listening to it tonight. All three versions seem to work fine. I can get SACD 2 and 6 channel as well as the stereo CD track. How is your disc do have any cracks around the spindle hole?? Mine does but they don't actually go into the disk at all.

That must be it - mine doesn't have the right cracks!!! :p

Seriously though, the disc is mint ... only had it a few months and have played it maybe half a dozen times. Weird indeed...:dont-know

sourceoneaudio
06-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Is your player a dedicated CD only player or a DVD CD/SACD palyer. If it is a DVD player you have to go into the set up menu and tell it what part of the SACD you want it to play. (2 or 5 channel)

Hoerninger
06-21-2009, 10:50 AM
"DSOTM DVD-A" is choosen automatically on my Pioneer player.

hjames
06-21-2009, 10:57 AM
"DSOTM DVD-A" is choosen automatically.

Ahh - enlightenment!

when you play DVD-Audio discs on your system, the default mode is DVD-A instead of DVD-V.
On my OPPO, I go in and select my preference in Settings, I recently switched it from DVD-A to DVD-V
and NOW I get that menu you showed

Now it allows you to select either Dolby Digital 4.1 or DTS 4.1 for your audio -
and many DVD-As have both (my Beatles Love disc allows me to make that choice,
once my DVD player is set to output RAW data)

Not your fault - DVD-Audio discs have a DVD-A mode (!!) as well as a DVD-V mode - easy to confuse that!
Maybe they should have named them DVD-M discs for multi-Media

Hoerninger
06-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Right, but it allows you to select either Dolby Digital 4.1 or DTS 4.1 for your audio -
and many DVD-As have both (my Beatles Love disc allows me to make that choice, once my DVD player is set to output RAW data)

... to shed more light on the settings:
My player Pioneer DV-575A chooses DVD-A automatically when available. If I want to listen to other formats than DVD-A then I have to go into the "Home Menu" and choose "System > Options > DVD-Playback > DVD-Video". (Afterwards DSOTM DVD offers DD4.1 or DTS4.1.)
There is an AUDIO key on the remote control for channel control, but it is not functioning with all DVDs.

BTW. my player chooses SACD automatically too. For the CD layer I would have to go into the menu which I try to avoid. For a simpler CD testing I have choosen digital out from the computer DVD player which goes directly into the receiver.

... just playing around ...

toddalin
06-21-2009, 03:02 PM
"DSOTM DVD-A" is choosen automatically on my Pioneer player.

Yours is a DVD-A??? Mine is an SACD.

I wonder how much difference there is between the two formats and if the mixes are identical? I know that the SACD section specs out far better than the DVD-A section on my Yamaha DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD unit, not that the difference is readily noticable.

Also, mine is 5.1 and Money starts out with the first "jinging" in the center channel and includes the center channel in the surround "pan."

hjames
06-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Right - DVD-A version is mixed from the original Alan Parson's Quadrophonic Mix - SACD is not..

For the specifics of that, check out Hoerninger's POST #1 in this same thread ... he has links to all the official discussions of these discs:
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=255937&postcount=1

Yours is a DVD-A??? Mine is an SACD.

I wonder how much difference there is between the two formats and if the mixes are identical? I know that the SACD section specs out far better than the DVD-A section on my Yamaha DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD unit, not that the difference is readily noticable.

Also, mine is 5.1 and Money starts out with the first "jinging" in the center channel and includes the center channel in the surround "pan."

Hoerninger
06-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Looking carefully into my download folder I found this:

Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
(limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.
Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.
The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to
whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.
It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release
The disc will play on all DVD players, as it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC,
AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWNSAMPLING, AND WILL
REDUCE THE LISTENING PLEASURE FOR OTHERS.

Ralph856
06-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Never heard a digital version but my 30th Anniversary vinyl copy, whilst ok, is nothing to write home about either.

pdemondo
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Pink Floyd in ultra-high fidelity is awesome