PDA

View Full Version : 1400 Array / SAM1HF Horns

4313B
06-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Is there any interest here in 1400 Array / SAM1HF horns for any DIY projects?

richluvsound
06-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Hi 4313b,

can you PM prices to please !

Rich

Hoerninger
06-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Yes :) .
What do you mean in detail?

cooky1257
06-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Yes please.

KCCT82
06-17-2009, 06:23 AM
Yes, more info please :)

4313B
06-17-2009, 06:27 AM
What do you mean in detail?
Yes, more info pleaseI received a bunch of front horns that suffered various dings due to poor packing. However, all the back horns are in good shape.

I'm trying to decide if I should eat the shipping charges and simply toss the front horns in the trash as per JBL or if I should bother with packing them correctly and sending them to someone who would like to fix them up and use them for the total cost of shipping only.

They might seem like a real deal up front but one needs to consider the cost of the back horns and the drivers. I know some members have purchased the cheap 2431's and 2435's off eBay. I'm not sure what anyone would do for 045Ti's or 045Be's though. I suppose I might be able to scare up a pair or two if someone was really interested.

grumpy
06-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Can "back horn" be interpreted as a throat section between the driver and sonoglass horn? I'd be interested as well, regardless... 2452's are just too
monstrous for most living spaces :)

4313B
06-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Can "back horn" be interpreted as a throat section between the driver and sonoglass horn?Yes, I'll post some photos later today of the front and back horns.

Titanium Dome
06-17-2009, 08:15 AM
A pair would be nice. I already have some of the raw drivers...

...and I definitely have the real things on hand for reference. It'd be great to run a stereo pair.

With my recent acquisition, though, it'd be nice if others (who would actually do something with them and not sit on them) would get a chance to try them. In that case, a single would also be appreciated if there were an odd number.

pos
06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
do the 045s have a separate horn?

grumpy
06-17-2009, 08:46 AM
small horn, in-set at the top of the main horn.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=255505&postcount=310

pos
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
ok, so that mean that the 045s will need a horn when removed from that horn combo.
maybe the horn from the 4438/48 can be get separatly.

4313B
06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
I was very surprised at the interest! Thanks for the feedback. The current crop of compromised horns are gone.

audiomagnate
01-14-2011, 05:10 AM
YES!!! I would love to play around with a pair of SAM1HFs. I heard the 1400's at the CES show last Saturday and I can't believe how good they sounded.

martin_wu99
01-14-2011, 06:07 AM
4313B,no pics,no truth:banghead::blink::dont-know::p

Woody Banks
01-14-2011, 07:43 AM
YES!!! I would love to play around with a pair of SAM1HFs. I heard the 1400's at the CES show last Saturday and I can't believe how good they sounded.

Check the date on the post! Ninteen months old.:confused:

Mr. Widget
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Check the date on the post! Ninteen months old.:confused:Yep, they have all found their way into member's homes... and it doesn't look like any more will be coming down the pike.

Zilch and I are discussing cloning some of the current crop of JBL horns in a material essentially identical to the JBL sonoglass material, but I am not sure if we would clone the 1400 Array horn because it is unlikely a reliable supply of 045 drivers would be available.

Of course I or any other JBL Synthesis dealer can order SAM1HF modules fully painted and loaded with 045Ti and 435AL drivers for you, but be prepared to spend a bit of cash. These retail for $2500 each.

Widget

4313B
01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Zilch and I are discussing cloning some of the current crop of JBL horns in a material essentially identical to the JBL sonoglass material, but I am not sure if we would clone the 1400 Array horn because it is unlikely a reliable supply of 045 drivers would be available.You could probably get away with it for your own personal use but I'd be real careful about trying some kind of resale operation.

I know of no way to obtain 045's anymore. Maybe when the JBL loudspeakers that currently use them start showing up on Ebay in years to come?

Of course I or any other JBL Synthesis dealer can order SAM1HF modules fully painted and loaded with 045Ti and 435AL drivers for you, but be prepared to spend a bit of cash. These retail for $2500 each.

WidgetYes, but at some point the Walmart mentality has to cease. They cost what they cost so pony up the cash or go elsewhere. If I'm not mistaken Zilch has come up with quite a few alternatives for people who don't want to spend a ton of cash on this hobby.

Mr. Widget
01-14-2011, 12:02 PM
You could probably get away with it for your own personal use but I'd be real careful about trying some kind of resale operation.I don't think there is much to fear legally... my bigger concern is the ethics of the matter. Since they refuse to offer parts and are no longer interested in the DIY hobbyist market I don't see that there is an ethical issue either.

Obviously one couldn't and shouldn't use any trademarked names or claim that these are JBL products, but offering parts of comparable quality to some of JBL's designs where no alternatives are available seems like a service that shouldn't offend the corporate chieftains.

Widget

4313B
01-14-2011, 12:12 PM
I don't think there is much to fear legally... my bigger concern is the ethics of the matter. Since they refuse to offer parts and are no longer interested in the DIY hobbyist market I don't see that there is an ethical issue either.

Obviously one couldn't and shouldn't use any trademarked names or claim that these are JBL products, but offering parts of comparable quality to some of JBL's designs where no alternatives are available seems like a service that shouldn't offend the corporate chieftains.

WidgetTrue.

I don't see why you guys can't come up with an 045 replacement too. Interestingly, Mexico had a hell of a time making the 045Ti's but not the 045Be's. That one had the folks in Northridge scratching their heads. One would have thought that the Be would have been the one that had issues.

And why the need for the 045's anyway? I thought someone figured out that the 2435's merely needed a bit of throat length between them and the waveguides to make it all better? And I thought the waveguides were the be-all, end-all!? Why the interest in big old horns?

If you guys could come up with a 15.25" wide version of the H4338 or H9800 that'd be great. These big old horns look way out of whack with a tiny little fifteen beneath them. You have to put dual fifteens beneath them to make them look right. :p Of course, those who went vertical don't have such a problem.