PDA

View Full Version : Jbl L-150a

JCL5
06-07-2004, 11:45 AM
I found a pair of L-150A's at Goodwill yesterday afternoon for $75 that seem to be in good condition. Are these good speakers for this price? They seem to be over 70lbs each! They also have an old pair of L-112s that need a lot of repair work for $25.

Thank You, John

4313B
06-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Evidently I need to start hanging out at Goodwill stores...
Can you pick up the L112's for me?
TIA :)

Regis
06-08-2004, 06:42 AM
Both those speakers are well worth the price. A good condition pair of L-150's sells for $500+ on Ebay. The L-112's I'm not sure about, but they come from the "Good old days" at JBL and these vintage speakers are highly sought after. What you might see as needing "repair", might simply be refoaming of the woofers, an easy job that any JBL dealer or yourself (if your mechanically inclined and patient) can do. Heck, if it was me, I'd snap up both pair!

4313B
06-08-2004, 06:54 AM
"They also have an old pair of L-112s that need a lot of repair work for $25."

Hmmm, where are you located? Send me a PM. I might want to raffle a pair of L112 Century II's to help fund our May Project.

JCL5
06-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Well, I went down to the Goodwill yesterday afternoon and pick-up both the L-150's and L-112s. I hock-up the 150's to a ADCOM 555 II amp, ADCOM 555 II preamp and a ADCOM cd player. These speakers are the BEST sounding speakers I have ever heard. My JACKASS sound guy in San Luis Obispo, Ca said that JBL Speakers sucked. Well I think he sucks now.

I had some friends come over last night and listen to these speakers, They loved them.

JBL rules! John

Peter White
06-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Dear John (JCL5)

I must say that i agree with you. The JBL L-150s are some of the best speakers ever made, bar none.

Peter White

JCL5
06-09-2004, 09:29 AM
The more I listen to these JBL's the more I love them. Does anybody make speakers as good as these anymore?

Regis
06-09-2004, 09:48 AM
Welcome to the world of Vintage JBL. That's why a lot of us are here, because we lo-o-ve the sound of our old speakers. You can't find that kind of sound for even what you'd pay for them full price on Ebay at anything but a high dollar audio retail store and you'd be spending thousands of dollars! I too own a pair of L-150's and though I've modified them extensively, they always put a grin on my face when I'm listening to them. That goes for all the other vintage JBL's I've owned, the diminutive, but powerful sounding L-110's, the L-65A's and the way-overboard 4628 Cabaret stage monitors (truly heavy-duty ugly, but incredible power).

The "JBL sound" can be argued to be not accurate, but boy, does it sound good! Don't let go of those speakers, because you'll be disappointed by anything else you'll buy at Circuit City, Best Buy, etc, etc. BTW, to paraphrase a qoute, "they don't make them like that anymore" is especially true with JBL. If I'm correct, except for the Pro line of LSR speakers at $2K a pair, the last good ones were the "T" series (L100T, especially). Not sure about the XPL(?) series, but the L-150's are a great example of JBL's full size speakers.

JCL5
06-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Regis,

I went on E-bay this morning and found a pair of L-150s for
$679 dollars. Wow, I did get a great deal. Anyway, I'm rediscovering a lot of music now. Its like the fast time I’ve listen to a lot of these CDs. I need to find a guy to repair my L-112s.

Thank You, John

scott fitlin
06-09-2004, 03:23 PM
This thread is starting to remind me of the Little Rascals! You know the episode where they formed " The He Man, Woofer Haters Club " ?

Giskard you can be Spanky, and Ill be Alfalfa! Sorry guys, I didnt have anything better to do this afternoon!

:rotfl: