PDA

View Full Version : Differences between L80Ts?

wu6fiend
06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
I've been restoring a pair of L80T speakers, and yesterday picked up another set of L80Ts for parts. The cabinets are pretty trashed, probably not worth repairing.

I noticed a number of interesting differences between the two pairs.

For example:

-one pair has no serial number. The JBL plaque at the back is blank, aside from the model #, logo, and address of company. The other has the serial number, just like all the other sets of JBL speakers I have.

-the black base of one pair is made of plastic, attached with staples, while the other pair's bases are particle board with black laminate, attached with screws.

-both have 127H-1 woofers, obviously. One pair are connected with metal wire connectors, while the other set of woofers are attached to the wires with red & black JBL plastic connectors.

The donor pair of L80Ts are the ones with no serial number, the plastic base, and the red/black connectors.

It makes me wonder if the donors are later models, and JBL was cutting costs. Anyone ever done a side by side comparison between early and late models of the same speakers?

hjames
06-13-2009, 08:10 PM
I had 2 pair of L60T last year and they had some of those issues - one pair had 035TI, another pair had 035Tia tweets ... one had the plastic plinth (base) the other part had the particle board base ...

Don't remember serial number issues, but all 4 woofers were the same ...

One pair had a frozen woofer, parted that pair out, sold the other pair intact (except for moving the port to the front)

I've been restoring a pair of L80T speakers, and yesterday picked up another set of L80Ts for parts. The cabinets are pretty trashed, probably not worth repairing.

I noticed a number of interesting differences between the two pairs.

For example:

-one pair has no serial number. The JBL plaque at the back is blank, aside from the model #, logo, and address of company. The other has the serial number, just like all the other sets of JBL speakers I have.

-the black base of one pair is made of plastic, attached with staples, while the other pair's bases are particle board with black laminate, attached with screws.

-both have 127H-1 woofers, obviously. One pair are connected with metal wire connectors, while the other set of woofers are attached to the wires with red & black JBL plastic connectors.

The donor pair of L80Ts are the ones with no serial number, the plastic base, and the red/black connectors.

It makes me wonder if the donors are later models, and JBL was cutting costs. Anyone ever done a side by side comparison between early and late models of the same speakers?

wu6fiend
06-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Turns out I was wrong on the "no serial number" issue. I'm told that the later models had their serial numbers attached to the connector plate via a white label. The donors were so dirty, I didn't notice the labels, which are in poor shape. I just looked at the standard black JBL label, saw no number, and jumped to the (wrong) conclusion.

The plastic bases are certainly sturdier than the partical board ones. I might switch them.

It is a shame to get rid of these cabinets, but I just don't need another pair of L80Ts. Have a nice set already. The donors are pretty beat up, and would have to be totally reveneered to look nice. Some people are certainly hard on speakers (I have a pair of L60Ts since new, they are still mint)

Anyway, I will strip these L80Ts, and sell all the parts.