PDA

View Full Version : dbx 231 eq, yea/nay

midlife
06-13-2009, 07:48 AM
I am considering putting a dbx 231 eq thru my preamps processor loop, will it introduce noise or negatively impact the signal? Don't want to pollute my system with a known "noisemaker" thanks.

midlife
06-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I am considering putting a dbx 231 eq thru my preamps processor loop, will it introduce noise or negatively impact the signal? Don't want to pollute my system with a known "noisemaker" thanks.
Anybody know?

grumpy
06-13-2009, 04:43 PM
From the manual...

"For optimum signal-to-noise response, the gain structure of the sound system must be
properly set up. Each component of the sound system should be set at its nominal
operating level, starting with the first element in the system, usually a mixing console.
Each element should be run at its nominal operating level in order to take advantage
of the maximum signal-to-noise properties of that element. Loudspeaker amplifiers, as
the last element in the chain, should be set only as loud as necessary, in order to
avoid inducing unnecessary noise into the system."

SNR is spec'd at 90dB, so if you have sensitive speakers, just inserting
the EQ and turning it on -could- add some noise that you -might- perceive.

Sounds like you would be mixing pro-gear and consumer... often this can
be made to work well enough, but they are not designed to play well
together or guaranteed to do so. Hiss/buzz/balanced vs unbalanced issues
are common initial problems.

Get a guarantee from wherever you buy it and return it if you can't make
it play to your satisfaction.

SMKSoundPro
06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
I use the dbx 2215 in my personal dj rigs. They are just a good simple eq with peak limiting. I like them for what they are.

I also have the 2231 in my workshop 4-way rig above the bar. I really like it!

I have a pair of White 4560 1/3 octaves. One is noisy as can be!

Go ahead and plug it in and tell us how much noise it adds. My hearing is getting questionable at times. The 2231 is the one to have out of dbx IMHO.

Scotty.

Harvey Gerst
06-15-2009, 07:45 AM
It shouldn't introduce much noise, unless you go crazy with "boosting" some frequencies. Try to use "cut" whenever possible.

Don't think in terms of "what's missing?"; think in terms of "what do I have too much of?".

midlife
06-15-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm going to give it a try and see if my ears can detect any issues. :)

boputnam
06-19-2009, 06:03 AM
It shouldn't introduce much noise, unless you go crazy with "boosting" some frequencies. Try to use "cut" whenever possible.Sound advice. ;)

The 231 is a single channel unit, no? I'm not sure how you're going to use it "thru the processor loop", but maybe I don't have the full picture.

The risk with 1RU units is, the filter faders are so short (20mm) - very small movements have big impact. Be subtle.