PDA

View Full Version : D130 or D130-F

jkantor1312
06-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I have a Peavey Delta Blues amp that I have my choice of either speaker to install in it. Is it me, or is there really not much difference in sound in the two speakers. I need to get past trying to decide which one to keep and sell the other one...you know...baby needs some new shoes.

I basically play a Gibson CE through it...and the best nylon sound is really what I want to end up with.

I would appreciate any input to help me decide what speaker to keep.

Thanks in advance for your advice
peace,
jay

Harvey Gerst
06-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I have a Peavey Delta Blues amp that I have my choice of either speaker to install in it. Is it me, or is there really not much difference in sound in the two speakers. I need to get past trying to decide which one to keep and sell the other one...you know...baby needs some new shoes.

I basically play a Gibson CE through it...and the best nylon sound is really what I want to end up with.

I would appreciate any input to help me decide what speaker to keep.

Thanks in advance for your advice
peace,
jay
There should be very little, if any, difference in sound between the two models, but the D130F was designed to be moved around, and even used outdoors.

The D130 was never designed to be used as a speaker in a guitar amp; the D130F was.

jkantor1312
06-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Mr. Gerst,

I am honored that you took the time to answer my question. Thank you, that helps alot.

Harvey Gerst
06-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Glad if I was able to help.

vettedrummer
06-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Mr Gerst, what then is the difference between the D-130 and the E-130 ?

Harvey Gerst
06-18-2009, 06:56 AM
Mr Gerst, what then is the difference between the D-130 and the E-130 ?
I don't know. I was gone by the time they introduced the E series.

grumpy
06-18-2009, 07:50 AM
you can get some idea just from comparing the published Thiele/Small parameters

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=1075&doctype=3

Ferrite magnet on E-series, 2x power handling, presumably improved adhesives, ...

Baron030
06-18-2009, 09:08 AM
A few years back, I had my D130 drivers professionally re-coned using JBL E130 kits.
From outward appearances, the edge suspensions are slightly different. The E130’s suspension is cloth only, without the paper that the D130 edge suspension had. Both still have the usual black goop on them. Otherwise they look and sound the same. For a home audio application, I did need to do a little re-tuning of the ports to get the optimal sound. So, the slight differences to the Thiele/Small parameters are very much real. Since, the Xmax value is increased from 0.75 to 2.54. It would suggest that the 2x power handling could be a result of a taller voice coil height, as in more wire. Maybe, Edgewound can chime in with a more definitive answer.

Baron030:)