PDA

View Full Version : 2nd east coast LHS social event

opimax
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Starting this thread so we can post just about anthing and the thread starter won't worry about off topic stuff!

TO answer your question Phil:

The 250 TI are functional. have not mounted the XO externally to get rid of some vibrations by the TIBQ XO mounted in the TI location. I have started acquiring parts. If you run a bass test disc there is some vibrations, not as much as in the house but there. The 2nd set of TI are waiting for the reconed woofers, at least 1/2 way done but I don't hurry his work and aside from this there wouldn't be any real hurry. 1 of the 2nd set of 250 is pulling duty as center channel but needs that woofer refoamed and that would become a spare woofer when the other 2 come back

Duanage and I are working on some barter/cash deal to get my spare 120TI 128h woofers refoamed along with a spare 2245 (for the b460) and some Dahlquist woofers refoamed. I am no longer the owner of any proIII speakers , subwoofers or parts

Some l20t on adcom 400 pre amp and gfa 555 with a low end Velo sub in another room which will get the spare 120Tis when they finished w/refoam complete , not as good a set up as I thought it would be with the l20t.

On the DQ 10 set up upstairs I have replaced the woofers, a vast improvement , need to track down some virations there too but that set up sounds pretty good with the DBX's b460 clone and matching amp

Basement has some l20t3 in the ping pong room, sounds like I would expect, hard surfaces, poorly placed but almost as good sound as the l20t set upstairs

Bedroom is a 2 channel JVC receiver dq-28 speakers sound fine,nothing exceptional but fine, mainly tv watching

Wiring still could use attention , especially in main setup, and the the SMS-1 connected but not calibrated, could be done before guests arrive

Thats most of it, the 3 Perreauxs are left in the basement, the 2 6000 passive biamp the main 250s and the 3000is bridged on the center. a 2nd adcom 555 is bridged on the b460 and the built in amps in the sony receiver for the 4 surround 120tis

Mark

BMWCCA
06-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Cool. Sounds like plenty of toys to keep us off the street for an afternoon.

I'm in, and somewhat flexible as to the day.

If we're doing amps and speakers, I could conceivably contribute all or some of these:

Crown PS-200 x 2
Crown PS-400 x 2
Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four
JBL L7
JBL L5
JBL L1
4412A
L20T
L96

Plenty of pre-amps, too, if needed.

Thanks.

hjames
06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
The bi-amp rack is (temp) offline so I can upgrade my horn drivers as time allows ...

So, for Amps I could bring the Citation, or pull a JBL/UREI amp (6230 and/or 6260) ...
(all but the Citation is XLR fare) ...

For processing I could bring the Ashley active crossover, or the Yamahahahahaha 1/3 octave EQ

For speakers - I could haul the L100T/3s - or those new L20T3s

and there's always Ducklipz ... (waiting for 1 inch adapterz)

opimax
06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
It is what ever you want it to be, bring what you want. I am offering what i have. If i get any pointers to help my system I am happier. The more Items I hear the better but i am not in charge just providing a space.

I hope somebody else comes up with a theme or goal for this one. And I hope we can get a couple more people, Baltimore have anybody ? Duaneage might be talked into coming down. I have a friend I bet will stop by and maybe Steve Volmer who I met on this site and anybody else, just repl in this thread

So far the theme is amplifiers, maybe preamps and keep the different speakers to minimum? just a thought

anyway post away...

Mark

MikeBrewster77
06-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Well, since you asked..................:p

I'm within driving distance and am always on the hunt for similarly minded friends. :cool: Certainly don't want to be an interloper, but I do the VA/DC/MD corridor for clients all the time and it would be a welcome diversion to head down for a JBL love fest ;)

In terms of speaker contributions, I can bring down L46's, Control 5's, Control 10's and if anyone would actually be interested E30's. For amplification, I've got several vintage Luxman integrateds/receivers, a Luxman CX-100 pre-amp, a McIntosh MC7150 amp, a Yamaha RX-797 receiver, a later model H/K AVR receiver (can't remember the model number) a NAD receiver, and a crap load of generic stuff (AKAI, Kenwood, etc.) In short, I've got a closet full of stuff that rarely sees the light of day and would likely appreciate getting some air! :p

No offense taken if your roster's full for this one, but I'm not that far if anything I can bring would contribute to the gathering :)

Best,
- Mike

opimax
06-11-2009, 04:16 AM
We've added 1! Welcome, fresh blood :). As far as what to bring we will expound on that as details start to emerge. Do you have anything you would like accomplish? last I remember it was going to be a small speaker shout out now maybe amplifier/preamp shoot out (with a few different speakers of course)

and lastly we need to pick a date...so far on the weekend is my only push , which one???

Mark

BMWCCA
06-11-2009, 06:25 AM
I'd go for another comparison theme. It would seem we could tackle 250ti v. L7 easily and quickly and then use one or the other to compare amps as well. If anyone's interested we could also tackle passive-bi-amp/bi-wire comparisons with the L7 or the 250 using pairs of the same amps. Comparos of the smaller JBLs was a recent thought and it looks like we have plenty of candidates for that! There's also the possibility of answering that age-old L5 v. L7 comparison but that probably interests an audience beyond what we'll have here. I can always set that up myself later to avoid too much swapping and confusion this time.

Any more takers?

When? Not this weekend or the next for me, and many won't want to give up their Fourth weekend, either. Does July 11th work for the host or anyone else?

MikeBrewster77
06-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the welcome! :)

I agree that a weekend would work best; I also can't give up the 4th - it's our 8 year anniversary and if I want to live to listen to my JBL's for another year I probably shouldn't be away any day that weekend!

In terms of objectives, I'm wide open but I think someone had mentioned a pair of L96's earlier :o:. I've listened to them before but always wanted to hear them side by side with the L46's. Otherwise, I can bring whatever I have to support what anyone else would like to see happen.

BMWCCA
06-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, I've got the factory-re-coned L96s bought from an LH list member recently. They're nice for their size. I believe the L5 kicks their butts, likewise for the 4412A, of course, and maybe even the L112 but I don't have the latter in the same room. But it's all in what sound you're looking for. The L96 is clean and balanced and you can listen to them forever, but it does have a size disadvantage if the mission is solid, deep bass. That's not a fault, just an observation. I'm happy to bring them along.

One comparison I've not had the chance to do yet is the L96 v. the 030/C37. I think that would be a close one and a great listening experience, old crossovers and all. :D

hjames
06-11-2009, 07:23 AM
Emma and I are tentatively up for July 11th at the Opihaus - if thats the date and place ...

Where do we park??

opimax
06-11-2009, 08:05 AM
just hand the keys to the valet! :drive:

I have either a large driveway or a tight 4 car drivway w/patio/basketball court depends on needs. and side streets if needed

Lets float July 11th out there and see what happens :applaud:

Mark

Fred Sanford
06-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm intrigued, let's see how it pans out. Maybe Phil & I can van-pool.

Power I can bring:

Crown DC300A (Phil might have one, too)
JBL/Urei 6260 (Heather has one, too)
Yamaha P2100 (can bring 2...or 3...or 4)
Adcom GFA 2535 (can bring 2)
Nakamichi RE-1
Denon PMA-920

Speakers:

4401s modded with 033 tweets
L20T3s (already represented, I think)
L100 Centurys
L110s
HP420s
L46s (already offered)

Processing:

Rane THX44 EQ (have to talk with Opi about that one...)

je

opimax
06-11-2009, 10:46 AM
BTW parking is not a real issue at all!

Mark

hjames
06-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I can prestage the VA crowd at my place - and we can Vanpool together or something ...

I'm intrigued, let's see how it pans out. Maybe Phil & I can van-pool.

Power I can bring:

Crown DC300A (Phil might have one, too)
JBL/Urei 6260 (Heather has one, too)
Yamaha P2100 (can bring 2...or 3...or 4)
Adcom GFA 2535 (can bring 2)
Nakamichi RE-1
Denon PMA-920

Speakers:

4401s modded with 033 tweets
L20T3s (already represented, I think)
L100 Centurys
L110s
HP420s
L46s (already offered)

Processing:

Rane THX44 EQ (have to talk with Opi about that one...)

je

opimax
06-13-2009, 05:55 AM
are the 5 of us so far good on the date? anybody still using pencil rather than stone in their calendar? :D

hjames
06-13-2009, 06:01 AM
are the 5 of us so far good on the date? anybody still using pencil rather than stone in their calendar? :D

Whatever you decide - its cool for us!

opimax
06-14-2009, 08:07 AM
that's 1 any others? :)

BMWCCA
06-14-2009, 09:29 AM
As far as I know at this point, that day is fine. My Mom was just hospitalized for some tests that may change those plans over the next week or so but all's clear so far for July 11th.

:thmbsup:

MikeBrewster77
06-14-2009, 11:03 AM
So far so good for me :)

Sorry to hear about your mom Mr. B- Hope the tests go OK and all is well.

Fred Sanford
06-14-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm still a maybe, but can't really plan too far ahead these days, so you shouldn't change anything on my account. 7/11 works so far.

Might want to take this off-forum to e-mails as things whittle down.

je

opimax
06-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Only 5 official people (expecting but not counting Emma :) ) people so far no need to go off line until we break a couple hundred or so the more the merrier or better more JBLs :bouncy:

Mark

duaneage
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
I should be able to make that date, might come down before then and show Mark what his system in the main room is really doing with my RTA mike setup. There is nothing like data when it comes to setup. I'm getting a better laptop soon, I need a faster one than what I have.

If anyone wants to bum a ride with me that's fine. I might be able to bring 1 or two more.

opimax
06-15-2009, 03:53 AM
6 :thmbsup: and that would more than awesome Duane! :dancin:

opimax
06-15-2009, 09:32 AM
2 more :applaud:, both responded to email, 1 use to be here more often still into JBL the other is a friend, more a free lance kind of guy with some JBLs. Both asked what time?

So that is the next question what time, for guidance, will people be here? I am scheduling nothing all day or night so about 8 am (9 if I should shower :banghead:)till 2 am is good guide line for me, I don't have to drive anywhere

Mark

hjames
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Sorry just got back from buying tires for my CRV ... (blew out a right rear at high speed last night just below Fredricksburg, on the way back from Norfolk!) -
Anyway - lets start earlier, if possible - maybe noon or so ... I think that would be easier on the folks who are travelling a long way ...
I mean - we're nearby, but some folks are a L O N G way off ...

2 more :applaud:, both responded to email, 1 use to be here more often still into JBL the other is a friend, more a free lance kind of guy with some JBLs. Both asked what time?

So that is the next question what time, for guidance, will people be here? I am scheduling nothing all day or night so about 8 am (9 if I should shower :banghead:)till 2 am is good guide line for me, I don't have to drive anywhere

Mark

MikeBrewster77
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Sorry just got back from buying tires for my CRV ... (blew out a right rear at high speed last night just below Fredricksburg, on the way back from Norfolk!)

:blink: Eek! High speed blowouts are never a good thing! Glad everything went without incident!

Anyway - lets start earlier, if possible - maybe noon or so ... I think that would be easier on the folks who are travelling a long way

I'm roughing I'm about 2-2.5 hours away, and yeah ... I'd like to shower first too ;). Noon would be good for me.

P.S., if all goes to plan, I might have a "newer school" addition to what I can bring down, if someone can bring an active crossover (hint, hint. :))

BMWCCA
06-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Sorry just got back from buying tires for my CRV ... (blew out a right rear at high speed last night
Glad you're okay.

For those of us curious car geeks: Define "high speed". And "blew out". Were these the OE tires? Brand? Knowing you, the tire pressure was likely recently checked. Any sign of a puncture? I know a guy who's a tire-failure-forensics expert in the auto industry. He'd be curious to know, too.

Crappy tires on a decent vehicle is like a bad re-surround! Offensive to nearly all the senses. ;)

hjames
06-16-2009, 02:42 AM
Glad you're okay.

For those of us curious car geeks: Define "high speed". And "blew out". Were these the OE tires? Brand? Knowing you, the tire pressure was likely recently checked. Any sign of a puncture? I know a guy who's a tire-failure-forensics expert in the auto industry. He'd be curious to know, too.

Crappy tires on a decent vehicle is like a bad re-surround! Offensive to nearly all the senses. ;)

Speeds was 70 - 80 MPH - prob 75mph ... I'd just passed a sign that the 2 left lanes were to be closed for construction/maint, then, bladda BLADDA BLADDA BLADDA - sounded just like I'd drifted onto the shoulder onto those wake-up thinges, but I hadn't. It was after midnight on Monday morning, pitch black, no street lights and Semis roaring by at 75 or so ...
Emma shot 2 cans of fixaflat into it, and we slowly drove 2 miles into Fredericksburg to an Exxon with lights where I changed the tire.
Fortunately, the alloy rim survived.

Orig tires were prolly Bridgestone (like the spare), these were Uniroyal Tigerpaws that were on it when I bought it at 36,000 miles - now at 74,000 miles.
Anyway, now it has 4 Yokohamas. 205R70x15 - $330 - ouch!

But the manual says AWD drive vehicles should have matched tires (viscous fluid type transfer case) ... so it had to be another Togerpaw (out of stock ) or 4 x something else ...

Just sold the old HK AVR 335 for $200 saturday - that was supposed to be money towards the newer receiver ... sigh ...

Fred Sanford
06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
That looks like a re-tread to me, but it's tough to tell from the pic. I wonder if the tread pattern matches with OEM.

We're looking to replace our CR-V's tires this month, let us know how you like the new ones.

Glad you're OK...

je

dkalsi
06-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi all,

BMWCCA pointed this thread out to me. I'm interested in joining you all for the LHS social event (if that is okay). Unfortunately, I don't have any JBL gear to share (currently own Klipschorns+Cornwalls). I have other components that I may be able to bring.

I found that the social event is on July 11th - can anyone tell me the location?

Thanks
D

hjames
06-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Hi all,

BMWCCA pointed this thread out to me. I'm interested in joining you all for the LHS social event (if that is okay). Unfortunately, I don't have any JBL gear to share (currently own Klipschorns+Cornwalls). I have other components that I may be able to bring.

I found that the social event is on July 11th - can anyone tell me the location?

Thanks
D

Its basically Chevy Chase - but I'll let the homeowner do the specifics ...

BMWCCA
06-16-2009, 06:45 AM
That looks like a re-tread to me, but it's tough to tell from the pic.It does to me, too! Very odd. It does look like the cap is separating from the carcass, re-cap or not. I'd take note of the DOT number on the sidewall and contact Uniroyal. Not unusual for there to be a recall that might get you some credit based on tread life. Strange that they'd be re-caps (and still match) since there are off-brand tires that would have been cheaper than re-caps. Did you buy the CRV privately or from a dealer?

Normally in any vehicle with a viscous drive or traction control, or even ABS, the important thing is to have tires with the same rolling radius. ABS will consider gross mis-matches as a speed differential and either apply or disable the ABS. Traction control normally uses the same speed sensors as ABS and will adjust depending on the system by applying brakes or affecting throttle, constantly, in attempt to "correcting" the speed differential. I've seen some cars that throw the traction control light and limit top speed when two different sized tires are on the car. Different brand as long as they hold close to the nominal size shouldn't make any difference.

That being said, Yokos are a good choice and I don't think they make a bad tire. I'm running them on six vehicles right now (disclaimer: they are one of our top advertisers, too!). $330 for four new Yokos mounted and balanced locally isn't a lot of money these days, considering what other things cost and the price of petroleum. Good peace of mind, too. I buy all my tires by mail from The Tire Rack (disclaimer: our largest advertiser) and their customer service is the industry model. The last pair of Yokos I bought from them were made in Salem, VA, so I also supported our regional economy. :)

hjames
06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
I had the tires replaced at my friend's place, Radial Tire Company.
The owner, has been a friend of mine since around 1980 ... we all used to hang out and go to Summit Point way back when - even did the first 2 Detroit GP (the REAL Formula 1 GPs) back then ...

Anyway, I bought that '04 CRV used at 36k from CarMax, right after my 2000 Civic Si was stolen ... Those tires were on it when I bought it, and have gone almost 40k since then ... (I'll hit 74,000 by next weekend ...)

Didn't look like a recap, that may have just been chewed from rim-riding 2 miles to get off the interstate.
But based on the way that tire looked, and the fact that no one seemed to have anything good to say about Tiger Paws these days (Pontiac Wide trackin' anyone?), I felt better dumping them all for something more contemporary.

That was like, $330 out the door, labor, tax, all fees included ... :D

It does to me, too! Very odd. It does look like the cap is separating from the carcass, re-cap or not. I'd take note of the DOT number on the sidewall and contact Uniroyal. Not unusual for there to be a recall that might get you some credit based on tread life. Strange that they'd be re-caps (and still match) since there are off-brand tires that would have been cheaper than re-caps. Did you buy the CRV privately or from a dealer?

$330 for four new Yokos mounted and balanced locally isn't a lot of money these days, considering what other things cost and the price of petroleum. Good peace of mind, too. :)

opimax
06-16-2009, 07:44 AM
owner's house PM me at opimax at yahoo dot com

I want to know how you be transporting your klipsch horns :)

Tires look like they wee driven flat, no recap IMHO, glad you are OK

BMWCCA
06-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Tires look like they wee driven flat, no recap IMHO, glad you are OKWe know they were driven flat but not for long or there'd be that tell-tale circumferential groove cut into the sidewall. Looks like the tread is definitely separating though. Would be nice to know what caused the pressure loss, failure, puncture, whatever. :dont-know

Where's that dead-horse emoticon when you need it?!

:duck:

opimax
06-16-2009, 07:54 AM
at least 40000 miles , leave the horse alone :)

dkalsi
06-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Opimax,

I sent you an e-mail. Please let me know if you received it.

Thanks,
D

hjames
06-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Okay, so how many of you can do DVD-Audio on your system ... ?
I've come across an interesting 'Audiophile" disc and will make copies ahead of time for all attendees ...

at least 40000 miles , leave the horse alone :)

opimax
06-17-2009, 06:31 AM
ME !

Also lets get opor theme going and start deciding on what to compare and bring over...amps were mentioned earlier and just a few speakers??? I spoke Dhar yesterday (nice chatting with you!) has a Plynth (sp?) amp I convinced him to maybe bring , Phil wanted to specifically listen to the Perreauxs...so ...???

BMWCCA
06-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Okay, so how many of you can do DVD-Audio on your system ... ?
I've come across an interesting 'Audiophile" disc and will make copies ahead of time for all attendees ...Well, I use a DVD changer as the primary source in the living-room system (CDs and the kids' movies) if that's what you mean. Also the HK DVD single-play has replaced my old Sony single-play CD upstairs just because it sounds better. No TV in that room.

BMWCCA
06-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Well you don't need TV, but it helps if your DVD player has a "6 direct" mode so each channel's output can feed an amp and speaker in your room. Otherwise, you loose information for 6 channel media (5.1 is 6 channels)...:spchless: Oh no! Hymie don't play that stuff!

;)

hjames
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Well you don't need TV, but it helps if your DVD player has a "6 direct" mode so each channel's output can feed an amp and speaker in your room. Otherwise, you loose information for 6 channel media (5.1 is 6 channels)...

:spchless: Oh no! Hymie don't play that stuff!

;)

What, with all your L5 and L7 speakers - you could do awesome surround for movies and shtuff!!

4 crown amps (1 for front pair, one for rear pair, bridged one for center and
bigger bridged one for a Sub)

BMWCCA
06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
What, with all your L5 and L7 speakers - you could do awesome surround for movies and shtuff!!My daughter thinks her favorite movie Transformers sounds just fine on the two 4345s, thanks! In my small home I might as well use headphones as try to put six channels in one room. What's a sub? ;)

The sound already dwarfs the 27" CRT TV anyway. :D

hjames
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
My daughter thinks her favorite movie Transformers sounds just fine on the two 4345s, thanks! In my small home I might as well use headphones as try to put six channels in one room. What's a sub? ;)

The sound already dwarfs the 27" CRT TV anyway. :D

Hokay, No disc for you! No disc!:applaud:

NEXT!

opimax
06-17-2009, 10:28 AM
4 responses and no suggestions on themes! stay on track here, some :D. is this going to be an amp compsrism meet? if so looking for just a few accurate speakers for base lines to compare . probably need a decent set of rcas too, mine are avg at best.

BMWCCA
06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
When we first began discussing a second mid-Atlantic event, one theme that seemed to get a lot of play was comparison of the 8"-woofer-and-smaller JBLs. We seem to have a lot of players in that range. I believe we may have bumped it to 10" during that discussion to include the L96 and others (probably in fear of the L5 walking away in the 8"-and-under competition). The amp comparo suggestion was simply in response to Ian's championing of the Perreaux and I figured we could easily do that since Opi has one (some?).

I had also suggested a continuation of our first theme of comparing the 15" 4333 3-way with the 12" L7 4-way, but now comparing the L7 to the 14" 4-way L250/250ti, also housed chez-Opimax. That's certainly three themes to consider but we have to be realistic about what we can easily handle without diminishing the social value of the day.

For the 10"-and-under comparo, I can provide (not to duplicate what others have):

6.5":
•L1 (706G, 035TiA)
•L20t (115H-1, 035Ti)
•LX22 (406G, 026Ti)

8":
•L5 (708G, 706G, 704G, 035TiA)

10":
•L96 (LE10H-1, LE5-12, 044)
•L80T (127H-1, 104H-2, 035Ti)

If we expand that to 12" we may put a strain on Opi's accommodations, vehicle space, and focusing on a narrow goal.

For amp comparo I have two Crown PS-400 and two PS-200 as well as one Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four all of which can travel without too much trouble on my end and I'm assuming we could use Opi's 250s for that. I also have a spare pair of L7s if we want to do an L7/250 comparo. :dont-know

Thoughts?

probably need a decent set of rcas too, mine are avg at best."Lansing Heritage, where everyone is above average."

opimax
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
My selfish response is to see what might make my 250 sing even better and how the Perreauxs stack up to other equipment so I am not as interested in speakers as electronics. Please note the word "selfish". Also amps tend to be smaller than speakers concerned about space a litlle bit. I believe we have doubled the group but not too critical of an issue

hjames
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, the biamp rack is back in place - but if you want something pulled from it, speak out!

Otherwise - if interested, the L100T/3s could be brought along ...

svollmer
07-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Mark,

I have several boxes of rigid fiberglass insulation that will be used for bass traps in my basement when I get to that point in the build-out. For now, they're stacked up in the garage. However, they still work well as bass traps even in the sealed boxes. Would you like me to bring a few to stick in your corners and see if they make a difference to the low end?

I loaned three boxes to a friend to try in his system. He loved the results so much that he permanently intalled the fiberglass covered with grilles he made and he's going to buy me three boxes to replace them later. I hope!

Fred Sanford
07-03-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm still a maybe, but can't really plan too far ahead these days, so you shouldn't change anything on my account. 7/11 works so far.

Might want to take this off-forum to e-mails as things whittle down.

je

That weekend's gotten densely scheduled for me, so I'm a no-go if it's still the 11th. Have fun, kids, I'll join up another time.

je

opimax
07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Steve, That would be great!

John, that sucks, (are your priorities in order? lol!) You will be missed (in a good way!):banghead:

Of course if things change no need to do anything but show up!

But if anyone else wants to be there please come!

We should start finalizing plans...Heather , Phil, anyone...

Also to say it mildly I am not a professional host type so please start by telling me as "host" what is expected to be here? food, liquids, utensils, dusty house, electricity....JBLs...be specific please :)

Official time is noon? I am up by 8 so a phone call if you plan to arrive before 10(and that is fine) just make sure i am dressed. any out of towners need any accommodations?

Address needed ? any questions? opimax at yahooo will get your questions answered and a phone number (Phil's , j/k lol)

svollmer
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
Also to say it mildly I am not a professional host type so please start by telling me as "host" what is expected to be here? food, liquids, utensils, dusty house, electricity....JBLs...be specific please :)

I'll bring some cold malty beverages!

Are you asking Wilfredo?

opimax
07-03-2009, 10:37 AM
he has said he will be there, I will remind him of course :)

Mark

hjames
07-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Hi guys!
been under the weather this past weekend.
Woke up Thursday with a tickle at the back of my throat and a nasty dry cough - Friday it was a full blown fever with skull-pounder headache, Saturday was more of the same. Fever broke sunday and it seemed to ease a bit after that. Took a sick day today just to be sure its on the way out ... ugh.
Mostly sniffles and a grumbly tummy at this point - whew.

Don't know if it was Swine Flue or ragin' Asian flu or what it was, just glad its wearing off! Don't want to share THIS gift with anyone!

If things go well rest of the week I'm still up for the sound party!

opimax
07-06-2009, 05:32 PM
glad you feeling better! I would miss you 2 very much stay healthy!

Mark

BMWCCA
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
So, any update as to theme? What components we're planning on comparing? I'll need to know if I'll need my van so I can make time to get it inspected.

I did reply to an email from Opi recently but never got a reply back? Did I miss some notice? :dont-know

hjames
07-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Geez - did this go solar today and get purged?
WTF - it wasn't an argument - just a comment on a public event elsewhere ...
I didn't even give it a yeay or nay - I basically said it is what it is ...

Dang - it must have lit up a mod somewho ...?

Anyway, I just said Emma is speaking Sunday, and because she nursed me back to health last weekend
when I had a swine flu bug or something and was totally out of it (a fever of 103.5 at one point),
Anyway, because of that she fell behind in her writing so she'll probably be spending this Saturday catching up on her sermon (Won't mention the Topic, NOPE!) ...
and she probably won't be able to make it - sorry ... (she does enjoy these sound parties!)

opimax
07-07-2009, 08:25 PM
I sent an email out to all who said at one time or another they were interested in coming.

Phil , didn't know what to say specifically, sounded like I would wait on purchasing an EQ

I just reread your email to make sure i I understood it and found the second part w/questions and all. I stopped reading the email the st time when it started w/my text, I didn't see the 2nd part after that, very sorry!

"Any update on next weekend? Theme? Participants? What to bring along? I can even bring a Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ if you wanted to try one out. Need to figure out what I can/should bring and may have to have the van inspected if it's needed.

Got directions? Phone number?"

No real theme defined YET! As in the email/and above I am in for the electronics, anything to try that might make my 250 sing even better. I believe we have a fancy amp coming, anybody have fancy cables/wiring, fancy pre stuff, tube amp for the top end, passive bi amped

I would love to see the EQ

Phone number in the email, directions/address by spoken word or maybe i'll break down and send you my address if I must :bouncy:

Heather, what did I miss? either email me or maybe the clean version here
Mark

opimax
07-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Continuing my selfish interest (btw some others maybe interested in my selfish concerns too) anybody have an RTA portable enough to bring to test any of my systems and see comparisms of the different equipemt...

Mark

BMWCCA
07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
So, nobody's bringing anything along for a comparo? We'll just be messin' with Mark's system? ;)

Or can I contribute some more variables? :dont-know

svollmer
07-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I'll be brining some bass traps that we can put in the corners and do a before/after listening test on the acoustics of the room. My experience is that they really tighten up the bass, but I don't know if it's universal in every room. It's not an equipment comparison, but it may be educational and interesting. And it takes seconds to stick them in the corners and see if we hear a difference.

Oh, did I mention I'll be bringing beer? We can compare if we are happier before or after a couple of them. :cheers:

opimax
07-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Wifredo states

Hi All,

Since it seems that the priority is preamps and amps, I can bring a parasound preamp and a crown or adcom amp(s).

thanks, wilfredo

Anybody else want to add to the official list

L7vs250 in the local 4 way shoot out interests me too Phil

So the 1st official bring along is Phil's L7s
2nd I would like to to hear the Parasound from Wilfredo
3rd Dhar 's Plynth amp (please correct!)
4th bass traps from Steve V
5th ???? RTA
or at least a RS hand held (Wilfredo?)

Duane are you out there?

BMWCCA
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
So the 1st official bring along is Phil's L7s

Whoops! Now I've got to find time to get the van inspected . . .

opimax
07-08-2009, 03:58 PM
more important you show w or wo L7!

Mark

BMWCCA
07-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Got an 8:30am appointment tomorrow for inspection. What could possibly go wrong? The van is only 18-years-old with 210,000 miles on it. Shall I make a list? Then I've got to manage getting the spare L7 pair out of the upstairs bedroom and into the van!

I'm actually only posting to see if the site is still working since there have only been three posts in five-and-a-half hours! :blink:

hjames
07-10-2009, 07:00 AM
took the day off and slept late - wonder if Phil got off ok or if they put him into lockup?
He's got that darned old van with strange Beemer logos and fins ...

I'm not planning to bring any speakers - L200-w/duck lips are too heavy to manage alone,
4341s even worse and won't play without the associated biamp rack ...

didn't sound like any interest in the L100Ts with T3 crossovers -
s'ok, can't seem to sell them right now either ...

BMWCCA
07-10-2009, 07:51 AM
First failed inspection, ever! Hit for outer tie-rods and a loose headlight. I'll fix the headlight (deer hit, apparently; it would cost more than the van is worth to pay to have it done) but I ain't doing the tire-rods on this old POS, and the inpection station can't do it today, either. So, most likely no L7s. I know the L5 will fit in the BMW trunk (BTDT) but the L7s would need at least the whole backseat for just one of them.

I will shoot for de-racking a Soundcraftsmen Pro-EQ-44 for Mark to try, maybe a Crown PS-400 amp if I get energetic. Hoping to arrive tomorrow around 11am if that's all right?

Spent some time enjoying a new toy: Tascam DR-1 SD recorder, bought with Amex points, at $100 off list-price, with a 20% points discount, and a $20 rebate. New features in the latest firmware update make it a winner for my use. Anyone ever use one?

opimax
07-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Bummer on the failed inspection and the lack of the chance to compare the 7 to 250

Anytime is fine and if it is too much hassle I wouldn't worry about eq but if it makes it great! Didn't know it was still in a rack

11 is fine I expect to peak at about 1:30 but it it seems like less than 10 if not close to 5

Haven't heard from Dhar, Duane, Mike and a couple of personal friends I invited who said they wanted to come don't know their status??? I think Duane and Dhar will be here but??? and Mike; Come on down! :D

Heather, if you are reading this today the only 2 things I am lacking are time to go over my wiring, and a list of what I need to be hospitable host. would like to come over and help w/either of these? :applaud:

Mark

MikeBrewster77
07-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you guys will have a great time. I desperately wanted to get down, but...........

Got yanked last minute into a bid that's due mid-next week, and it's about ..... oh, slightly less than half way done. So, the only JBL listening I'll be doing this weekend will be in my office while I work. :(

Many thanks for the gracious invite - hope to make the next get together!!! Have a blast (well, not literally - that could be tragic.)

P.S., Sorry I didn't respond earlier - actually, this is the 1st time I've been on the forum in a couple of days due to traveling for work.

BMWCCA
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
This evening's project

Try to answer a question no one's ever asked—and for good reason: Will a pair of L7s fit in a 1995 BMW 5-Series sedan?

Story at Eleven. ;)

opimax
07-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Mike,

I just can't understand some people's priorities!!! :barf:

Well I hope you can make the next one :applaud:

(Seriously,thanks for posting)

I am looking forward to live updates on video of your progress, maybe front seat together with the back down if they behave Phil

I just finished outside cleaning up now for the inside then stereo stuff, so far behind it is funny. I haven't even plugged in the SMS1 much less used it since moving things around

back to work!

BMWCCA
07-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Well, I'm not sure I'd do this on a regular basis with my good pair, but the spares actually fit pretty well. No folding seats so they're just laid across the back, on their sides, with a sheet of plexi between and a rug over. If my 105-pound wife and I can get them in, I'm hoping a couple of big burly men will be able to extricate them without damage…to the car! Now I'll find out how much of the spare system I'm willing to dismantle to make them work. I'll see if I have some Y-connectors to run from your source and maybe we'll set them up with their own system. Perhaps 2xCrown PS400? Soundcraftsmen Pro-Control-Four, Pro-EQ-44, and a spare Pro-Power-Four just for grins. I don't think the rack will fit in the trunk ;) but the individual components should. Not sure If I've got enough outputs or Y-connectors to bi-wire the L7s and split your source, unless you've got two outputs. We'll see.

See you in the AM. :)

opimax
07-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Excellent! I am sure at some point a big burly man will show up, other wise greatly looking forward to this!

Mark

hjames
07-12-2009, 05:39 AM
A blink of light, a delicate sound of thunder, and ... its OVER!
There weren't many pictures - there was just too much to do to stop and pose like that,
but I did catch a brief snap as they were setting up the center stage with 250tis and L7s for an early shootout ...
BMWCCA (Phil) on the left, Steve in the center, mark (Opimax) on the right)

First up, compare the sounds of the 250tis with CC networks from Europe vs the black pair with TiBQ (?) networks ..

Next, shakedown time - pitting Mark's Caramel 250tis against Phil's economy leader L7s (woofies pointed to center)

Other tests followed with Wilfredo's Parasound preamp against Phil's stack-o-Soundcraftsmen -
and...
Do the mighty mysterious Perraux amps hold their own against the big beefy sound of Crown P2-400?
Ya hadda be there!! (And why weren't you??)

Much fun and beverages ensued (Mark even grilled us steaks!) great fun until the weeee hours ...
I ran for cover at 8 but it was still going on .... it may be going still!

o, those POOR dbs!!

Titanium Dome
07-12-2009, 06:25 AM
Looks like a blast. Wish I could have been there to complain about the poor positioning of the L7s. :p :D

BMWCCA
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
We did have fun! And many, many thanks to Mark for hosting us. If he ever offers to feed you one of his grilled steaks, take him up on it!

I just completed putting my second system and my spares all back where they belong. That included hauling a pair of L7s, two Crown PS-400 amps, a Soundcraftsmen pre-amp, amp, and EQ out of the car and up a flight of stairs and getting them all back into their racks and other locations. But they're now all playing once more.

After spending the day in Mark's living room with his two pair of 250Ti's, my L7s look absolutely tiny to me! And hearing them next to the 240Ti upgraded-BQ-crossover pair had me checking to make sure I hadn't brought the L5s by mistake. ;)

Again, nothing scientific here. After all, it was billed as a "social event", which it truly was. I enjoyed meeting new folks and seeing others again. It was a blast. I got home just before midnight.

None of the comparisons we made amounted to scientific method and we hooked stuff up the best we could. The 250Ti/L7 comparison was run without the "passive bi-amping" of the 250's the way Mark normally runs them, just to be fair, and to make the wire-swapping a bit quicker. The amp comparison told us nothing other than we liked Mark's system, since we had to run the one Crown and the Soundcraftsmen using the pre-amp I dragged along or we'd have spent the whole day screwing up Mark's stack and wiring. Certainly the 300wpc Perreaux is a fine amp. Two is better. And another for your B460 isn't shabby, either! We all learned that Mark likes his music loud, and his bass to be felt in the gut. The LE14s did a nice job on their own but the sub is a real bonus if you want to feel the music . . . or whatever you want to call that stuff that kicks you in the belly. :thmbsup:

An experiment with Steve's bass-traps was very interesting and everyone could immediately tell the difference. I think maybe everyone liked what they did, too, though Mark's room is fine like it is. Still, the difference was impressive and worthwhile and one can only assume in a crappy environment they would be even more useful.

There's never enough time or the proper set-up to really make any earth-shaking statements other than it was fun, we had a great time, and everyone looks forward to getting together again. Thanks Mark! :applaud:

(I'd still like to figure out how to set all this stuff up under a shelter, outside, in the mountains, with speaker and amp switching so we could listen to multiple comparisons with instant switching, while sitting in comfortable chairs sipping our favorite beverages under a beautiful Mid-Atlantic sky with no barrier reinforcement, placement issues, or room acoustic variables. I also wish I had a million dollars, while I'm at it! Or whatever that's equivalent to today compared to Frank Capra-era dollars.)

:snore:

opimax
07-12-2009, 04:08 PM
From the the 1st arrival of Phil(bmw) at 11:20 to the last departure of Stephen at 10 (not on the the board but he did bring 2 sets of speakers) I had a great time. When you do these social events w/great people it is so easy, very little to to do afterwards load the dishwasher was about it.

This meet was much less "scientific" than the 1st, I don't think we really compared much, L7 to 250 (not 240, time for Phil to correct his post,seems to be a habblt lol) and Perreaux amp compared to SoundCraftsman amp. Phil and I also connected his EQ through my sytem and I put my ear on eack of the drivers and decided against what little noise it made and I also decided I want less knobs, not more so 15 sliders will be fine each one controling both channels not 1 for each. So thank you Phil for that opportunity. I was happy my costlier Perreauxs did sound a little less harsh than the Soundcraftsman.

To make another correction, the 3rd Perreaux is bridged on the center channel not the sub b460, that has an Adcom gfa555 bridged.

Thanks to Heather for out DVD-a disks, haven't listened yet to much time away today doing errands but thiking about it reminds me of my 70 Plymouth Fury with its 8 track quad setup and makes me smile.

I am now waiting for some bass traps from Steve V which he said he would make when he had a chance, no hurry. The seemed to cleanup the low end a little and any improvement which gives more bass guitar and less bass drum is what i am looking for!

Another friend Wilfredo brought over 2 pre amps, one was a Paraound with an unusual loudness contour, I don't think we agreed on its working even at the end.

The last comment I have is the secret ingrediant is OJ!!

Thanks everyone, when can we do this this again??!!

Mark

What was he brand of Stephen's Canadian speakers and has anyone heard of them?

hjames
07-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks everyone, when can we do this this again??!!

Mark

What was he brand of Stephen's Canadian speakers and has anyone heard of them?

Sequence Model 30 - but ... we need PICTURES of those cute little things!

JBLRaiser
07-12-2009, 05:11 PM
you mention 240's. They look like to 250's.:dont-know

opimax
07-12-2009, 05:34 PM
They really are 250s but its Phil :D:D:D

I already had the enjoyment of correcting him

Mark

svollmer
07-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Sorry, for being MIA yesterday; had a bunch of all-day family stuff to do.

Thanks Mark for hosting; it was a blast. The only problem was that I had to leave early and I left the ultra cool Pink Floyd DSOTM quad disc Heather gracioulsy gave me!!!:banghead: Can you mail it to me Mark?

Nice to meet Phil and to see Wilfredo and Heather again. Once I get my basement finished, everyone's invited over.

And yes, I'll make Mark some bass traps. As others commented, his room sounds very good to begin with. Having it open to the dining room, hallway, and stairs to the box prevents much of the standing wave problems normally experienced in square or shoe-box shaped rooms.

Till next time...:)

Steve

hjames
07-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Steve, you and I are neighbors - I have a few left you could just come by and pick it up!

Sorry, for being MIA yesterday; had a bunch of all-day family stuff to do.

Thanks Mark for hosting; it was a blast. The only problem was that I had to leave early and I left the ultra cool Pink Floyd DSOTM quad disc Heather graciously gave me!!!:banghead: Can you mail it to me Mark?

Nice to meet Phil and to see Wilfredo and Heather again. Once I get my basement finished, everyone's invited over.

Till next time...:)

Steve

The DVD-A is discussed here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25420&highlight=DSOTM

BMWCCA
07-13-2009, 08:36 AM
They really are 250s but its Phil :D:D:D

I already had the enjoyment of correcting himAs I did, also, for posterity!

Must be a psycho thing. Anything with a 14" shouldn't have a "5" in the name. The L112 has a 12" and I mistakenly figured there was a reason for that sign. A 4410 is 10", a 4412 is a 12". Beyond that it gets a bit fuzzy and the logic falls apart, and the consumer models throw any semblance of order out the window. Yeah, I know it's a sequence of the creation when you get to the big monitors, but my brain has a problem with the soup that is the naming convention without built-in mnemonic devices to help us unwashed keep up. And, yeah, my 4345s confuse me, too. Even the digits only add up to 16! I get it. The 240 is what T-dome can't seem to pass along even at a superb price. The 250s are those scary-huge pyramids that sound great, right up until they cheapened the crossovers for a special European swan-song edition. Isn't that it? ;)

hjames
07-13-2009, 08:53 AM
As I did, also, for posterity!

Must be a psycho thing. .... The 250s are those scary-huge pyramids that sound great, right up until they cheapened the crossovers for a special European swan-song edition. Isn't that it? ;)

So if you get confused with the 14s in his 250s, what does that do with those 18 inch thingees you have?

And why is Mark's sub a B-460 when it has an 18 in it?
And mine is a B-380 but only has a 15 in it?
By that logic mine should be a B-350 and his a B380 or B480 or some such ...

opimax
07-13-2009, 09:29 AM
460 and 380 are metric measurements , so it works!

Mark

BMWCCA
07-13-2009, 09:46 AM
460 and 380 are metric measurements , so it works!
See! There is a reason, some of the time.

But JBL is not alone in this denial of logic. Mercedes brought the third iteration SL model to the world as a 3.5L 350SL. Because of US emission standards, they needed a 4.5L engine to get it out of its own way in this country, but initially they didn't offer it as a 450SL but instead a 350SL so as not to embarrass the Euro owners. Later they offered the correct badge to US early-adopters. BMW had a real nice 3.2L I-6 engine they decided to turbocharge. By some recognized metric of efficiency their calculations told them a turbo 3.2 had the output equivalent to a normally aspirated 4.5L, so the turbo became the 745i. When they brought a 2.7L high-efficiency low-hp/high torque engine to market in the early '80s, they called it a 525i because they'd stripped the horsepower in favor of fuel economy so felt it should be reflected in the badging. But the same car here in the USA was called a 528e simply because they didn't want buyers to think it less of a car than it's 528i predecessor. And that '80's vintage 3.2L 7-series in Europe? It was called a 732i there but a 733i here. Recently they were selling detuned 3.0L cars and calling them 328i while the same 3.0L with optimized output was called a 330i. Now they have a twin-turbo version of the same 3.0L and call it a 335i. :banghead:

And if I can keep all that straight, you'd think something like a 250ti wouldn't bother me in the least.

Titanium Dome
07-13-2009, 09:49 AM
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ah, my education pays off! :rotfl:

bigyank
07-14-2009, 09:21 AM
I am sorry I could not make it. Count me in for the next one though. Heather, where did you find your rack for your gear?:)

Yank

hjames
07-14-2009, 09:41 AM
I am sorry I could not make it. Count me in for the next one though. Heather, where did you find your rack for your gear?:)

Yank
There are actually 2 racks in my system - one is an old old piece from Scan 20 years ago. That holds the turntable, HK Receiver, AppleTV, Carver C1 preamp (mostly for the turntable), OPPO disc player, TIVO and related CATV box/gear. The tall panel on the right is actually on rails and slides out, its a big tall drawer with shelves that is currently configured to hold spare CDs.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=39228&stc=1&d=1242171244
(Above pic shows the OLDER HK AVR335 receiver I used to own, currently using an HK AVR 7300)

The other rack is something I assembled myself from some veneered particle-board scraps
and rack-rails I got off ebay.
That stands on top of my left 4341 Monitor and holds all the biamp gear
(Pair of JBL/UREI Amps, Ashly Active crossover, Yamaha 31 band EQ, Adcom AC-Power control unit

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=35770&stc=1&d=1228682043

svollmer
07-17-2009, 03:43 AM
I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but since the subject of bass trapping was included in the event last week, I thought I'd share a link to the Real Traps site that discusses trapping and diffusion.

http://www.realtraps.com/video_hearing.htm

The owner, Ethan Winer, also shows you how to build DIY bass traps at the Music Player Forum here: http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/24 Check out the "Read This First (PLEASE)" thread for the plans.

Steve

MikeBrewster77
07-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I thought I'd share a link to the Real Traps site that discusses trapping and diffusion.

Steve

What an extremely informative and helpful set of links - thank you much for sharing. I've got some reading to do over in the FAQ's section - it's quite comprehensive!

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Best,
- Mike