PDA

View Full Version : Removing protective screens?

robertbartsch
06-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I saw this suggestion amoung others in an old article that discusses improvement modifications for VOTT systems used at home.

The article says removing the screens from compression drivers will allow the driver to operate at higher frequencies and will flatten responce curves.

I would think this would ba a bad idea unless the driver and horn are encased in a wood and fabric (cloth) cab, so bugs, dust, dirt and other foreign material don't contaminate the phase plug and diaphragm.

pos
06-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Earl Geddes removes the screen in his design, but the throat is protected by the foam he puts in the waveguide.
He also smooth the driver to waveguide transition with modeling cley!

Tom Brennan
06-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I never heard a difference from pulling the screens, even when I was younger and heard better.

Maybe it's one of those things people do because they can and then because they have they're obligated to hear a difference, know what I mean?

A pal who lives in rural Illinois uses JBL compression drivers on Edgar saladbowls and was considering removing the screens until he saw a couple of those ladybug like Japanese beetles that get EVERYWHERE in rural Illinois crawling up the horn to the throat.

pos
06-15-2009, 04:58 AM
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1853109#post1853109