PDA

View Full Version : JBL S2600 bi-wire improvement?

tom1040
06-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Any improvement in sound if I bi-wired these with the different speaker taps from a McIntosh MC402? If so, would it be best for the high pass go to the 8 ohm tap and low pass to 4?

Sorry for my limited knowledge with such matters.

jcrobso
06-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Not to be confused with bi-amp which can improve the sound.
The Mac MC402 uses an auto-transformer to deliver the same power into 2-4 or 8 ohm loads. I'm not sure what the results would be, might be good, might be not so good. Mac is a stable amp, I don't think that this would destabilize it. This would be a very BIG no no on a tube amp!:blink:
You might want to call Mac and ask them.

Allanvh5150
06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
This would be a very BIG no no on a tube amp!:blink:
You might want to call Mac and ask them.

Really? It has been done with guitar amplifiers for years.

Allan.

jcrobso
06-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I would have to check out other amps, the only tube amp I have has a selector switch to set the amp to speaker impedance, 2-4-8. Yes it has 2-1/4 speaker jacks but I still have to set the impedance. The switch will use different taps on the output transformer for each load, only one at a time is used.
A 16 ohm speaker requires about twice the voltage that an 8 ohm speaker would need for the same power. Power amps have different ratings depending on the speaker impedance. The auto-transformer in the Mac amp will step-up the voltage for 16 ohm speakers and set-down the voltage for 4 ohm speakers. The power output will be the same for all loads. The downside is the the auto-transformer is some BIG $$$$. John