PDA

View Full Version : Use Control Series for HT?

dentcorn
06-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Other than the other system I am putting together using Studio L speakers (see below) I am thinking about building another system (much smaller) for the basement. How would using Control 5's or Control 25"s work for this in conjunction with a good sub? I have a couple of 25T's hooked up in conjunction with my 2245H based 8 ft2 subwoofer and it sounds pretty amazing. The subwoofer does a great job of filling out the sound, and the Controls seem to have a much smoother sound and top end than they do than when they are played by themselves. Any ideas? I would prefer to use the control 5's over the 25's, but the 25's go for quite a bit cheaper. And any suggestions on a sub? Thank you for any and all advice.
Kirby

MikeBrewster77
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
You might want to talk to Ashley (screen name: JBL 4645) on this forum about Control Series suitability for home theater. He only has about, oh, like 100 of them in his home. ;)

FWIW, I have Control 5's and the much larger 3-way Control 10's. The Control 5's are forward voiced with a clean/clear mid-range, and capable of handling quite a bit of power for their size. Bass leaves a bit to be desired, IMHO, but can be rectified with an adequate sub that's crossed-over fairly high. I've spoken pretty highly of them in previous posts, but I've done some A-B'ing with them lately, and though I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, they lack a certain je ne sais quoi that - to me - makes them a bit "unmusical." It probably has to do with the fact that they're designed/engineered for a very specific purpose, and for that, I'm sure they perform quite admirably.

On the flip side, when I had the Control Series set up in my "reference" system, it was the only speaker that elicited an unsolicited and seemingly genuine "now that sounds good" from my other half. Far superior speakers priced beyond triple their cost don't even get so much as a "ho hum." :rolleyes: Go figure...

Slare
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
All that really matters is that you like the sound of them. If you got them and like them, no point in overthinking it.

However if you are buying new (or used, for that matter), with controls you are paying for weather durability and in some cases a 70v transformer. In more traditional speakers that money would go towards nicer wood cabinets or flatter response, etc.

I have AV29's in my basement. They'll take one heck of a beating, both physically and musically. They love power and play loud. But the treble is rolled off at the high end, and they don't really work well at regular volume levels or close listening distances. For regular old home theater use I'd pick from a wide array of JBL 6.5" 2-ways before using a comparable control unit. I have a little pair of L1's that sound much, much better to my ears than the AV29's. No contest really. But the AV29's will take 3x as much power and a kick to the grille and keep on ticking.

Partexpress has a great HSU designed 10" powered subwoofer that goes on sale for ~$150 shipped from time to time. It's big for a 10" and very plain looking. But I believe it to be one of the best values out there for a small HT setup.

dentcorn
06-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Well here are a few:
Control 5 and 25 units are comparatively cheap.
JBL list Control 5's freq response +_3db from 75 to 18,000
(better or equal to Studio L).
You can paint them.
They are easy to mount on concrete basement walls. A couple of those titanium wall anchors per unit and you are in business and ready for the latest earthquaquake
Along with this, goes immense mounting flexibility
Did I mention you can find them very cheap on the auction sites.
I have been listenint to JBL L166 Horizons for the last 30 years and been using other models of JBLs and Mackies in SR apps for the last 20 years and my ears still test out to 20K.
I didn't think these 25T's sound very good by the selves, but when you pair them with my 2245 sub and allow it to pickup the bottom three octaves, it seems like it just takes the strain off of them and makes them a whole gob smoother. No, I don't like them by themselves. But with the sub we are up to 105-110 db with no strain, juts really easy to listen to becasue the distortion levels must be so low. Easier to listen to than the 066 tweeters in my 166's
I'm hoping then that the Control 5's are the ones to use.
This is just my experimental "cheapo" system. My main system is goiing to use the Studio L series as I explained above. But even it has some pretension to it - a super tweeter tht goes to 40K -give me a break. Plus if you think the controls aren't pretty, just take the grillle off the 830. Reminds me of all the metal and screws in my old erector set. Well I sure hope they deliver. I've never really heard them, but all the reports are glowiing about them.

Any further comments? Just some explanations....

06-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I would prefer to use the control 5's over the 25's, but the 25's go for quite a bit cheaper.

The Control 25's are comparable to the Control 1's, while the Control 28's are comparable to the Control 5's. That's probably the reason why they go for a cheaper price. Compare them to the Control 1 and you'll see some similarities.

JBL 4645
06-06-2009, 09:21 AM
The Control 25's are comparable to the Control 1's, while the Control 28's are comparable to the Control 5's. That's probably the reason why they go for a cheaper price. Compare them to the Control 1 and you'll see some similarities.

Comparable yes but I think it’s the cosmetic design that is so appealing.:)

Future Projections is selling JBL control 5 for around £105.00 that’s cheaper than anywhere else in the UK.

hjames
06-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Comparable yes but I think it’s the cosmetic design that is so appealing.:)

Future Projections is selling JBL control 5 for around £105.00 that’s cheaper than anywhere else in the UK.

Pssssssst - the folks you are chatting up aren't IN the UK ...
so they prolly won't be shopping at Futile Projections

JBL 4645
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Pssssssst - the folks you are chatting up aren't IN the UK ...
so they prolly won't be shopping at Futile Projections

Yeah but they buy junk off fleaBay to be shipped over many miles maybe New
York to California so what’s the difference, if it’s England to New York.
More or less the same distance for argument sakes.

hjames
06-06-2009, 05:24 PM
York to California so what’s the difference, if it’s England to New York.
More or less the same distance for argument sakes.

yeah, but we don't pay VAT, so its not the same, izzit?

06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Just also want to note you're comparing two different models. The Control 5 is part of the JBL Control series, while the Control 25 is part of the Control Contractor series. While both lines have some similarities, most surface mount speakers in the Control Contractor series are weather resistant and contain an optional 70 volt transformer. It's mostly aimed at retail installations, theme parks, and other applications needing durable, weather resistant speakers. The Control series looks to be aimed towards television studios and indoor sound refinforcement.

JBL 4645
06-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Just also want to note you're comparing two different models. The Control 5 is part of the JBL Control series, while the Control 25 is part of the Control Contractor series. While both lines have some similarities, most surface mount speakers in the Control Contractor series are weather resistant and contain an optional 70 volt transformer. It's mostly aimed at retail installations, theme parks, and other applications needing durable, weather resistant speakers. The Control series looks to be aimed towards television studios and indoor sound refinforcement.

Well there it is the man as spoken.

Allanvh5150
06-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Hey Ash, whats with all the Ebay hostility? I have had dozens of shipments come down under from the US, Asia and Canada and have never had an issue......:blink: It is a great source for vintage components.

Allan.