PDA

View Full Version : 035TiA vs 037Ti

MikeBrewster77
06-04-2009, 10:26 AM
It appears the 037Ti was used fairly sparingly in JBL Professional products (I can only find it appearing in the Control 10) but does anyone know if it is comparable to the 035TiA? It looks like they share the same diaphragm. On the price lists I've seen, the 037 is substantially more expensive than the 035 (no clue why...)

The reason I ask is that it was recommended that upgrading the 034 in my L46's would be a worthy effort - I don't have 035's laying around but I do have a pair of 037's I could "borrow" from my Control 10's since they are not in use at the moment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
- Mike

Fred Sanford
06-04-2009, 10:44 AM
It appears the 037Ti was used fairly sparingly in JBL Professional products (I can only find it appearing in the Control 10) but does anyone know if it is comparable to the 035TiA? It looks like they share the same diaphragm. On the price lists I've seen, the 037 is substantially more expensive than the 035 (no clue why...)

The reason I ask is that it was recommended that upgrading the 034 in my L46's would be a worthy effort - I don't have 035's laying around but I do have a pair of 037's I could "borrow" from my Control 10's since they are not in use at the moment.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
- Mike

Not too much data to provide you here, but possibly some practical experience. I own L46s & 4401s, so I'm familiar with the 034s. I replaced the 034s in my 4401s with some 033s, just to test & to see if they might be more useful to me as alternate monitors (my main monitors are L110s, with 033s). I found the 033s to seem a bit more efficient than the 034s, which has worked out OK since the 4401s have an L-pad for the tweeters.

The L46s do not have an L-pad, so if your replacement tweeter is more (or less) efficient than the 034, you'll need to modify the crossover. There may also be other reasons to mod the crossover, I'm not able to help you there. The crossover freq for the 034 in the L46 is 3K, which is where the 035TiA is crossed over in the L20T3s, for example.

Not sure about physical fit, though.

je

MikeBrewster77
06-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the reply Fred - good information.

Being the adventurous lad that I am, I pulled the tweeters out of one of the L46's and one of the Control 10's just to see if I could do an easy swap for comparison purposes without any physical alteration. Luckily, I was able to do a quick and dirty setup that would was enough for an A-B comparison (n.b., for permanent mounting you would need to drill a few extra holes, but no other modification would be required.)

In short, not good ....... not good at all! :no:

Not surprising I guess - the Control 10 is a highly forward-voiced speaker, and a far more efficient system overall than the L46 (94dB vs. 88dB.) Also, the HF crossover point in the Control 10 is 4.6kHz vs. 3kHz in the L46. So, as the numbers might predict, the treble was cover-your-freakin'-ears overwhelming.

Still interested if anyone has any info on the 037Ti vs. the 035TiA (I'm thinking one is just more efficient than the other) or if anyone has done a tweeter upgrade on the L46's specifically. I'll have to go back to the earlier posts to see who recommended the upgrade previously - sounds like a crossover alteration might be in order if one is done.

Interesting note - after reassembling both speakers back to their original driver complements I did a fairly extended A-B of the L46's and the Control 10's and was actually really surprised that, overall, I strongly preferred the sound of the little Sigma over the bigger 3-way. :D So, the L46's are now out of the bedroom and back in the office system where they will get far more frequent usage.

Best,
- Mike

MikeBrewster77
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
...are proper computer speakers! :D