PDA

View Full Version : Altec 6418 RFE - Infos ??

sonus65
06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Greetings. Can anyone tell what the ALTEC 6418 RFE are made for ? Stage monitors ? Any home audio possibilities with them ? Also, what are the components (bass speaker reference ? Driver reference ? Tweeter reference ?...). I checked the Altec library online looking for technical informations but didn't find anything about them. I have the possibility to buy a pair right now here but need to identify all components at first. I really appreciate your help. Thanks. Serge (France) :bouncy:

Goodwill_HiFi
06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Here's a pair for sale...... looks similar to 816 cabinets, but the port area looks larger to me.

http://www.zikinf.com/annonces/dispannonce.php?annonce=441531

I found one reference here at Lansing Heritage, mentioning the 418 woofer, which is a musical instrument driver.

I wonder if this was a foreign market design..... all of the references I see are in French.

sonus65
06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Goodwill music : thanks for your response and for the AD. When you say that it may be a "foreign market design" do you mean that those may have been built OUT of the USA ? This would explain why there is no record in the ALTEC library, then ? Still, right or wrong there should be some technical components records somewhere, yes ? What I like about those is very large size of the "voice" (very open). It reminds me of the WE15A...

Goodwill_HiFi
06-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Goodwill music : thanks for your response and for the AD. When you say that it may be a "foreign market design" do you mean that those may have been built OUT of the USA ?

That, I have no idea on. I've heard some that some of the Japanese models were actually assembled by other companies using Altec parts. I think Altec made some Japanese specific models, too.

This would explain why there is no record in the ALTEC library, then ? Still, right or wrong there should be some technical components records somewhere, yes ?
I suspect much of the library has come from US sources, and there would be little reason for foreign market brochures, catalogs, or spec sheets to be here in the US.