PDA

View Full Version : trashed pair of altec 409-8c

pierce
06-01-2009, 07:48 AM
i stumbled upon a old pair of altec 409-8c, sadly, abused as car speakers for a long long time, and then somewhat trashed. i suppose these are probably totally worthless and should just be tossed ?

one of the plastic bridges that holds the coaxial tweeter is cracked, the terminal strips are broken off, and the outer cone suspension area has all kinda flug stuck to whatever sort of gooey stuff was painted on it.

these had been placed in low profile open-back enclosures similar to what you might find hanging on a wall as an office PA speaker, and used in a Triumph sportscar in the 70s, then later migrated to a VW bus. I do recall at one time they sounded pretty damn good for a car stereo of the era.

Goodwill_HiFi
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
.....one of the plastic bridges that holds the coaxial tweeter is cracked......

They're coaxial? I don't know anything about the 409, but I didn't think they were coaxial.

.......the terminal strips are broken off, and the outer cone suspension area has all kinda flug stuck to whatever sort of gooey stuff was painted on it.Do they work?

pierce
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
they are a 2-way speaker with a 3" cone tweeter mounted on a bridge over the 8" shallow woofer.

and, no, as-is, they don't work. they are at best parts for a rebuild project, and I honestly dunno why anyone would want them... I think these were sold in the 60s/70s as ceiling speakers, they are fairly shallow for an 8".

spec here
http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage/SpeakerAndMics/ceiling/409-8C%20Ceiling%20Speaker.pdf

Goodwill_HiFi
06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
.......they are at best parts for a rebuild project, and I honestly dunno why anyone would want them... I think these were sold in the 60s/70s as ceiling speakers, they are fairly shallow for an 8".

I'm pretty sure the 409 was used in some cabinets, too. I think that's what's in those column speakers that I see on Ebay every so often.