PDA

View Full Version : Khorn Altec driver

infinityQ2
05-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I just went to check out a single Klipschorn speaker. Aware of them but don't know much. It's Huge 54"X32"x24". Is this the factory size or a custom, the seller wasn't sure. I didn't have an amp to test the drivers but the seller put a meter on them and said they were active??. The compression driver is an Altec, is that original for a Khorn??it was not attached to the horn!! I don't know why!! I couldn't inspect the woofer cause it's a sealed cabinet. What should be in there, and is there an easy way to check it out??Cabinet and grills in good shape but unattractive, If I buy this I will probably do something to it, is that a veneer or solid wood??O.K. with all that said, what's it worth?? and How will a mismatched pair sound?? Thanks for reading...sorry no pics..

robertbartsch
05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
..any pictures?

grumpy
05-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Other than the Altec driver question (and possibly even that), you might get
a better response from the Klipsch forum. The dimensions are -roughly- correct
for a Klipschorn, but unless there's a tag on the back or other details a
Klipsch aficionado might recognize, good luck identifying the source (DIY or
otherwise), wood used, drivers inside, age, value etc.

Next time bring an amp and source or even a radio with a speaker
output... a watt or two should be plenty.

AFAIK, Altec drivers were not ever used in stock Klipschorns. K-branded
E-V and Atlas drivers/designs, among others.

Mismatched pairs sounding OK? Depends on how picky you are... it would
drive me bananas... not like this: :banana:

infinityQ2
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I just went to check out a single Klipschorn speaker. Aware of them but don't know much. It's Huge 54"X32"x24". Is this the factory size or a custom, the seller wasn't sure. I didn't have an amp to test the drivers but the seller put a meter on them and said they were active??. The compression driver is an Altec, is that original for a Khorn??it was not attached to the horn!! I don't know why!! I couldn't inspect the woofer cause it's a sealed cabinet. What should be in there, and is there an easy way to check it out??Cabinet and grills in good shape but unattractive, If I buy this I will probably do something to it, is that a veneer or solid wood??O.K. with all that said, what's it worth?? and How will a mismatched pair sound?? Thanks for reading...sorry no pics..

After another viewing I found out this was a dIY project. The Altec is an 802b in good working order. There is a horn but its made of wood. Still no idea whats inside for a woofer other than it works.

robertbartsch
06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
...looks like a real Klip corner horn - vintage 1970s or a tad earlier.

I assume these are quite valuable but the Altec compresssion driver does not go with the system. Is the woofer a Klip?

Is there a pair or only one?

sbjacob
06-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Contact Bob Crites he has all the info on all Klipsch models and affordable aftermarket parts at http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

jcrobso
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Can you get picture of the back side?
My K-horns are built from Speaker Lab prints. Real K-horns look different on the back side than do the home made ones.
I used JBL speakers in mine.
Depends on which era they were made on the vendor of the drivers used.

infinityQ2
06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Can you get picture of the back side?
My K-horns are built from Speaker Lab prints. Real K-horns look different on the back side than do the home made ones.
I used JBL speakers in mine.
Depends on which era they were made on the vendor of the drivers used.

This is all I have unless I go back to buy it.. Also, the horn is made of wood.

Steve Schell
06-02-2009, 09:58 PM
I would also encourge you to pick the brains over on the Klipsch forum. Here's the little I know...

Paul Klipsch was working on his corner horn concept during WWII, and began marketing them around 1947. The earliest ones were two way, and the midrange / high frequency horn sat out in the open on top of the bass bin. BTW, this "sealed" cabinet is a fairly ambitious front loaded bass horn with sealed rear chamber; the loading provided by the room corner is fully exploited in this design. The natural quality of the bass these produce is possibly better than anything you have ever heard and can be utterly shocking upon first listen. In the early 1950s he began selling a three way furniture cabinet version with an EV tweeter atop the midrange horn. These cabinets looked like the one in your pictures, though usually had a "PWK" metal logo (with the P backwards) attached somewhere on the front. Klipschorns have been copied almost from the beginning. If it is a real one it will have some sort of label that says "Klipsch and Associates, Hope Arkansas" and other stuff somewhere on the rear.

AFAIK, Klipsch never used Altec drivers. He did use Stephens Tru-sonic and Electro-voice in the early days, and a variety of *ahem* inexpensive Atlas, CTS etc. drivers in later years. The copycats of course stuffed their creations with everything under the sun, including Altec and JBL.

If the seller isn't asking more than a few hundred bucks I would advise swooping on it. At the very least it will provide an audio adventure which may provide an education and raise your expectations further down the line.

Edit: I'll bet it is a knockoff; those filled nail holes don't look like Klipsch, as Paul always insisted on impeccable cabinet work. That is not to say that it isn't a good speaker. If it is a close copy it may be very good indeed.

sbjacob
06-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I would also encourge you to pick the brains over on the Klipsch forum. Here's the little I know...

Paul Klipsch was working on his corner horn concept during WWII, and began marketing them around 1947. The earliest ones were two way, and the midrange / high frequency horn sat out in the open on top of the bass bin. BTW, this "sealed" cabinet is a fairly ambitious front loaded bass horn with sealed rear chamber; the loading provided by the room corner is fully exploited in this design. The natural quality of the bass these produce is possibly better than anything you have ever heard and can be utterly shocking upon first listen. In the early 1950s he began selling a three way furniture cabinet version with an EV tweeter atop the midrange horn. These cabinets looked like the one in your pictures, though usually had a "PWK" metal logo (with the P backwards) attached somewhere on the front. Klipschorns have been copied almost from the beginning. If it is a real one it will have some sort of label that says "Klipsch and Associates, Hope Arkansas" and other stuff somewhere on the rear.

AFAIK, Klipsch never used Altec drivers. He did use Stephens Tru-sonic and Electro-voice in the early days, and a variety of *ahem* inexpensive Atlas, CTS etc. drivers in later years. The copycats of course stuffed their creations with everything under the sun, including Altec and JBL.

If the seller isn't asking more than a few hundred bucks I would advise swooping on it. At the very least it will provide an audio adventure which may provide an education and raise your expectations further down the line.

Edit: I'll bet it is a knockoff; those filled nail holes don't look like Klipsch, as Paul always insisted on impeccable cabinet work. That is not to say that it isn't a good speaker. If it is a close copy it may be very good indeed.
If this has a Altec driver that is a nice upgrade to the K-55. The K-55 is a Atlas PD-5VH driver.If you wanted a stock Klipschorn you can get a Atlas driver from Northern Sound and Light for around $100. each. Klipsch sells the K-33 woofers for $125. each and the K-401 midrange horns for $110. a pair you can contact Bob Crites and he has Aftermarket woofers for about the same price.Also the Eminence APT 50 tweeter is a drop in replacement for the K-77 and also a nice upgrade as it extends to 20KHz as the K-77 is limited to 17KHz and it handles more power than the K-77.You can put together a Klipsch Type A crossover for around $100. ALK Engineering has alot of high end upgrades ESN for use with a Altec 902 driver .The photo is the schematic for Type A crossover that was used in the Klipschorn and La scalas. I have built a few pair of Klipsch La scalas from scratch so I know alittle about the speakers.39735You can contact me at [email protected] for more options

sbjacob
06-02-2009, 11:41 PM
If this has a Altec driver that is a nice upgrade to the K-55. The K-55 is a Atlas PD-5VH driver.If you wanted a stock Klipschorn you can get a Atlas driver from Northern Sound and Light for around $100. each. Klipsch sells the K-33 woofers for $125. each or you can contact Bob Crites and he has Aftermarket ones for about the same price.Also the Eminence APT 50 tweeter is a drop in replacement for the K-77 and also a nice upgrade as it extends to 20KHz as the K-77 is limited to 17KHz.You can put together a Klipsch Type A crossover for around $100. ALK Engineering has alot of high end upgrades ESN for use with a Altec 902 driver .The photo is the schematic for Type A crossover. I have built a few pair of Klipsch La scalas from scratch so I know alittle about the speakers.39735

This a pair of La scalas I built out of Red Oak with mahogany trim39736

sbjacob
06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
This a pair of La scalas I built out of Red Oak with mahogany trim39736
This is the pair I built out of Cherry with Bubinga trim39737

sbjacob
06-02-2009, 11:56 PM
This is the Type A crossover I built for these39738

sbjacob
06-03-2009, 12:03 AM
This is the Type A crossover I built for these39738Check this thread out http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm

sbjacob
06-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Check this thread out http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm

Here is the plans for the Klipschorn http://www.volvotreter.de/downloads/klipschorn.pdf

jpmoss
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
I just (well two weeks ago) picked up that Klipschorn with wood mid horn and Altec 802b driver.
All I can say it about ther best made khorn I have ever seen and I own many from 47 to late 50's.
The handmade wood mid horn is unbelivale the way it was made out of hunders of strips of wood.
Looks like it was made very early 50's. the bass driver is a very early red magnet Stevens trusonic .
The real killer is the custom made electronics that came with it matching khorn styled cabinets, they even have a tube electronic cross over for the khorn.
I can't belive I had the chance to buy this not being the first to look at it.
I'm haveing the electronics worked on ,so soon it will be up and running.
BTW anyone ever hear of " The Audiophile custom" thats the name of the electonics builder. This just might become my mono rig

Mr. Widget
06-22-2009, 11:52 PM
All I can say it about ther best made khorn I have ever seen and I own many from 47 to late 50's.
The handmade wood mid horn is unbelivale the way it was made out of hunders of strips of wood.Posting a photo or two would certainly be appreciated. :bouncy:

Widget

jpmoss
06-23-2009, 08:14 AM
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzenxpg1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_1359.JPGI just have learn how to post a pic.

jpmoss
06-23-2009, 08:21 AM
This console is loaded with tube preamps tuner, crosovers and more.
the plate with added control says "Thttp://mysite.verizon.net/vzenxpg1/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/IMG_1309.JPGhe Audiophile Custom".

jcrobso
06-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Check this thread out http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm

My friend and I never took pictures during construction, I'm glad this person did. I remember making each piece, one mistake and you started all over again.
Yes, there are comprises in the K horn, with D140F in the horn I can get down to 25Hz.
I remember the first time I played the Telarc vinyl version of the 1812 overture om my newly finished K horns. When the cannons went off at the end I just sat there stunned at what I had just listened to. My daughters came running downstairs saying what on earth! The whole house shook, the floors shook, they thought that there was explosion in the house!
I then realized that all the time and effort I had put into building the K horns was worth it.:applaud:

Maron Horonzakz
06-23-2009, 01:51 PM
HHHMMMMM,,, I never heard of any Khorn that ever went down to 25hz especially with a 140F JBL woofer.

louped garouv
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
+-?,
is the question?

:D

Maron Horonzakz
06-23-2009, 02:22 PM
May be down 50 DB ????

JBL 4645
06-24-2009, 05:31 AM
^^^^^ four posts up^^^^
That’s not vintage that’s a flipping dinosaur if I’ve seen one.:D

I think you need to use the edit on the paint and resize image for a reasonable size because the last one is giving neck-ache.

jpmoss
06-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I don"t see any edit buton anywer to fix my to large pics.
ow well maybe next time I fig out smaller pics.

jcrobso
06-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I don"t see any edit buton anywer to fix my to large pics.
ow well maybe next time I fig out smaller pics.

You can use anyone of the many photo programs to downsize the image.

Audiobeer
06-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Tip of the hat! Nice!