PDA

View Full Version : L-200b score!

tyler477
05-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Drove out from a CL ad, and picked up some l-200b's for..... you guessed it! 200 bucks! All original drivers, looks like a window screen for grills :blink:. Anyway, all they need is foam. I've heard that you can easily mod these to be l-300 clones, what do you guys think I should do ? keep them stock? what is the difference between l200 and l200b? I have yet to see a pair on the bay so I have no Idea what they are worth, any ideas? :D:D:D

p.s.
unrelated, but I'm selling off a ton of altec stuff for a friend. he has vott a-4's a5's and jensen imperials. he has the wooden horns with the a-4's ORIGINAL!
I'll post in the trading post with pictures of the stuff.

http://audioflipper.com/pics/jerry/P5070095.JPG

those are just some examples of what I'm selling.

John
05-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Drove out from a CL ad, and picked up some l-200b's for..... you guessed it! 200 bucks! All original drivers, looks like a window screen for grills :blink:. Anyway, all they need is foam. I've heard that you can easily mod these to be l-300 clones, what do you guys think I should do ? keep them stock? what is the difference between l200 and l200b? I have yet to see a pair on the bay so I have no Idea what they are worth, any ideas? :D:D:D

p.s.
unrelated, but I'm selling off a ton of altec stuff for a friend. he has vott a-4's a5's and jensen imperials. he has the wooden horns with the a-4's ORIGINAL!

What do you have for around $200 ???

hjames
05-31-2009, 02:00 PM
Very cool deal!
That plus a roadtrip to Phiily was about what I paid for my original 4320s
a few years ago, back when I started my JBL big-box trip ...
I later got a pair of empty L200 cabs and moved the parts into them,
changed some stuff, upgraded, tweaked ... the usual!

Sonofagun or Indycraft here can sell you foams
if you already have the "window-screens" ...

Do you like how they sound now??
What parts are actually in them?
Did they come with the lens over the horns?
Which woofer (folks change them!)?

Been there, done that upgrade thing with mine ...
swapped out the woofers for 2234s.
Added 2405 slots and built new crossovers ...
even built "bump-out boxes" I can bolt on the back
when I install a pair of Longhorns like the 4333s and L-300s had ...
got the longhorns - but I haven't done that upgrade yet ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27396&stc=1&d=1187355062

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36264&stc=1&d=1230855045

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27328&stc=1&d=1186971448

p.s.

midlife
05-31-2009, 03:13 PM
Nice scoop, Me I would do a mod/resto and convert them to 300 specs. Not real familiar with the 200s so I don't know if the conversion would require drastic enough changes to prevent a later vintage 200 restore if the need ever arose.

tyler477
05-31-2009, 04:08 PM
What do you have for around $200 ???
haha, I have some dynaco a-25's for that much. can't sell the vott's for that price though, don't think my friend would go for it.

tyler477
05-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Very cool deal!
Thats what I paid for my original 4320s a few years back when I started my JBL big-box trip ...
I later got a pair of empty L200 cabs and moved the parts into them,
changed some stuff, upgraded, tweaked ... the usual!

Sonofagun or Indycraft here can sell you foams if you already have the "window-screens" ...

Do you like how they sound now??
What parts are actually in them?
Did they come with the lens over the horns?
Which woofer (folks change them!)?

Been there, done that upgrade thing with mine ...
swapped out the woofers for 2234s.
Added 2405 slots and built new crossovers ...
even built "bump-out boxes" I can bolt on the back when I install a pair of Longhorns like the 4333s and L-300s had ...
got the longhorns but I haven't done that upgrade yet

yeah , I think I saw his foams on e-pay... 200 right?

I meant they needed the foam done on the woofers, so no I haven't listened yet to them until I get that done, I took the woof out and it was stock, everything is original and unmoved inside. I want to say 136 was trhe mark on the woof? can't remember.
Have you a/b'd your speaks with some l300's? it'd be interesting to say the least. People have said that you could just place some tweets on top too, have you tried that?

Oh I think I have that same old yamaha that was on top of your l200's... the cr-600 right?

grumpy
05-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Opinion-

If you plan to eventually re-sell them...

1) a modest restoration might help their value, but frankly, a quick re-flip would probably net more.

2) Attempting to update them to L-300-like status will cost much more than
you have in them, and turn them into hobby boxes (not likely to increase
value).

If I were in a similar position and looking for L-300's to keep, I'd fix the
foams, sell the L200's, and start looking for L-300's.

mike
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Based on my observations over the years the L200B seems to be less common than both the original L200 and the L300. I'd say they are worth around $1200 in good condition. If they are in really pristine condition they might be worth considerably more.

Mike

HCSGuy
05-31-2009, 05:57 PM
I agree with Grumpy. If your Avatar is correct and you still have those speakers (4333's?), nothing you can do to the L-200b's will compete. Enjoy the L-200b's for what they are. Refoam them, oil the cabinets, get some foam from sonofagun, refoam the woofers, listen to them for a few months and sell them for a tidy profit when you're ready to move on (you should be able to get at least $1,200 for them).

If the cabinets are beaters, you can try the 3 way route, but it's going to take time, money, and leave you with a worthless set of cabinets and a box of drivers to part out on Ebay.

I don't know all the differences, but the L-200b had a different woofer that goes lower than the standard L-200. Search the posts for more info.

tyler477
05-31-2009, 08:46 PM
they are in really great shape. Thanks for the advice. yes I still have the 4333a's in my avatar, I was deciding which pair to sell and which to keep. I'll post some pictures tomorrow (I finally got some dolly's from harbor freight so I can move these monsters around!).

you guys realistically think I can get 1200+ for these in todays economy? I was thinking more like 800

ironman
06-01-2009, 11:32 PM
Dang ! I got on here 'cause I was wantin' to brag about the L-110's I got for $200 !!
As I type this at 1:45 am, they are somewhere between E.Syracuse NY and my house -
scheduled for delivery today... but, ya kinda took the wind outta my sale there tyler !!
Good for you though, I'm always happy to hear of a good score !! :applaud:

This will be my 2nd pair of 110's. I did a epay 'BIN" without a 2nd thought as I was afraid if I delayed even a second more they would be scaped up. I did do a cursory once over:

Grillls - check
Clean 033's (no dents - doesn't affect the sound anyhow LOL !!) - check
No swapped out generic speakers ? - check
No outrageous S/H charges or hidden fees ? - check
Sellers 100 % feedback, - check
Seller show recent activity ? - check

Click the 'Buy It Now' - NOW !!
I thought for sure, as the page reloaded, I was going to get the "Sorry,another bidder..." notice, but nope = "You've Won" !! :applaud:I hope...will know in a few hours.
I don't even know what these are going for these days. I have my originals purchased
in '78. I've seen a few really rough shape pairs over the years but I don't even remember a ballpark figure for 'em. I figured they had to be worth $100. a piece though
(should I need $$ back in a hurry).

I'm hoping that $200. for the tylers 200's is a VERY good and rare deal and the $200. I got the 110's for is a close 2nd in the 'you would have been crazy to let that deal go by
whether you needed another pair or not..." category. (??)
In any case, hope you enjoy them tyler. If you haven't heard the 4333's yet, you will enjoy the 200's right ? Live for the day and have fun with what ya have - ya can't 'miss' what ya never had" !! I'm hoping to some day sell my collection of modest L series and
finally move up to the big time. I've never heard JBLs beyond the 112's I have. *The 1st pair of JBL's I ever heard I think were either the 200 or 300's . I was a kid - still in HS.. That experience is what drove me to buy my 1st pair - the L110's, several years later. They were the most I could afford. The memory of hearing those larger pair at my buddies house is long gone and I have no idea what to expect from the next series up the line. Some day...
*BTW, anyone seen the 300's on 'donramons' epay site ? They've sat there for awhile. His prices have really gone up BUT he now goes with the "BIN ( mucho $$) or "Make An Offer". The' BIN' is $2,999. !! I got a good deal on L-112's from him a few years back - IIRC around $250.

I guess I should shad-up now eh ?? Sorry, I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve ! Time to hit the sack...when I awake, the UPS Santa should have already been down the chimney !
It will be interesting to compare the 2 pairs (A/B). I've yet to do the xover bypass upgrade on any of 'em. ...oh yeah, I was goin' to shad-up now....nite all !! Enjoy tyler !!!
:bouncy: :bouncy:

tyler477
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
hey ironman, nice score on the 110's! heh, it isn't a competition! I bet you' drool over some of my other scores,
the 4333's were only 500, I picked up some l112's for 50 buckaroonies!

When I saw the l200b ad posted on CL there was no model number, he hadn't even removed the grills. I got him on the phone and left immediately to get them. bout a 40 min. drive..... anyway one of the speaks was buried in the garage so I had to come back a week later when he cleared his garage out. I gave him 100 for one speak and waited for his call.... that was a long week!:barf:

cosmos
06-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Fantastic score.

The L200B is a very nice speaker and a very big upgrade from the original L200 or L200A. Frankly, I sold them new and always hated the L200.. until I heard a L200B. I own a pair of L200B today, BTW.. and I also own several pair of 2405 (077) drivers that I could install (the biggest part of the upgrade to a L300) and haven't bothered, if that tells you what I think of them.

Replace the surrounds, Listen to the music and enjoy them!

Peace!

Mr. Widget
06-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I've always loved the look of these speakers and I'd seriously consider springing for the proper foam grilles that go on top of the window screens. http://foamtrends.com/pages/L200_grilles.html

Widget

tyler477
06-07-2009, 02:11 AM
that is very tempting mr. widget.... 200 buckaroonies for some foam though???? that's how much I paid for the speaks!!! ;)

I knew the 200b was an upgrade from the 200, but I didn't know it was that big an upgrade.... can't wait to hear them? any suggestions on where to get the surrounds?

hjames
06-07-2009, 04:46 AM
that is very tempting mr. widget.... 200 buckaroonies for some foam though???? that's how much I paid for the speaks!!! ;)

I knew the 200b was an upgrade from the 200, but I didn't know it was that big an upgrade.... can't wait to hear them? any suggestions on where to get the surrounds?

If you want to replace them yourself:

I got the surround for my 2235s from Rick Cobb -
http://myworld.ebay.com/looneytune2001/

Also surrounds for other speakers I've repaired over the last few years
(L26 woofers, L100T woofers, etc). Good stuff, all of them!

Send him and email, tell him the model number of your DRIVER, and he'll help you out.
Lots of folks here swear by his kits.

And for grills - you can make yourself a pair of wooden frames (think box kite)
and cover them with a nice speaker cloth of your own choosing -
but the proper grill foams are labor intensive to make and really do look great.

Go on - put a little money them, its well worth it!

Mr. Widget
06-07-2009, 09:57 AM
that is very tempting mr. widget.... 200 buckaroonies for some foam though???? that's how much I paid for the speaks!!! ;)Yes, but you stole them.

If you picked up a 1957 Ferrari Testa Rosa for $25K and it was going to cost another $50K to fully service the engine, you wouldn't do that to have a $10,000,000 car?

Widget

BMWCCA
06-07-2009, 10:57 AM
If you picked up a 1957 Ferrari Testa Rosa for $25K and it was going to cost another $50K to fully service the engine, you wouldn't do that to have a $10,000,000 car?The Ferrari most likely requires that just to run. Not sure a $200 L200 buyer can always justify spending that much for something that is arguably an appearance item, only.

Better comparison might be the Ferrari with bad body work and poor paint. Would the value increase with correct restoration of the carrosserie? You bet! Would that change the way it drove? About as much as a good wash and wax improve the driving of my daily drivers! But increasing the value may only be the goal for a flipper. Maybe Tyler just wants to enjoy his bargain find and the fact that he didn't have to pay five-times that to experience them? And maybe there's just not another $200 in the disposable-income account right now. Stuff happens. ;)

ironman
06-07-2009, 05:58 PM
hey ironman, nice score on the 110's! heh, it isn't a competition! I bet you' drool over some of my other scores,
the 4333's were only 500, I picked up some l112's for 50 buckaroonies!

When I saw the l200b ad posted on CL there was no model number, he hadn't even removed the grills. I got him on the phone and left immediately to get them. bout a 40 min. drive..... anyway one of the speaks was buried in the garage so I had to come back a week later when he cleared his garage out. I gave him 100 for one speak and waited for his call.... that was a long week!:barf:

I posted while excited waiting for the L 110's to come...lets just say I had some 'issues'
develop the next day - not with the seller but starting with UPS....and it just went down hill from there. Tyler, I noticed you responded and so I'm basically writing to say sorry, didn't mean to be un friendly :bouncy:. Hope you're at least enjoying your score !! Don't want to be secretive here but it will take some typing to explain my situation. And, I'm about to try for another score on epay in just a matter of minutes - have to sign off for now.
Wish me luck !!

JBLRaiser
06-08-2009, 05:04 AM
The Ferrari most likely requires that just to run. Not sure a $200 L200 buyer can always justify spending that much for something that is arguably an appearance item, only.

Better comparison might be the Ferrari with bad body work and poor paint. Would the value increase with correct restoration of the carrosserie? You bet! Would that change the way it drove? About as much as a good wash and wax improve the driving of my daily drivers! But increasing the value may only be the goal for a flipper. Maybe Tyler just wants to enjoy his bargain find and the fact that he didn't have to pay five-times that to experience them? And maybe there's just not another $200 in the disposable-income account right now. Stuff happens. ;)

(BMWCCA and Widget).....grilles optional. But, I would install them to flip them. Definitely a crowd pleaser.:applaud:

BMWCCA
06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
(BMWCCA and Widget).....grilles optional. But, I would install them to flip them. Definitely a crowd pleaser.:applaud:Agreed. Well worth it if the intent is resale.

As for me, I have to have grilles because of cats. But then I also have to have sheets of cardboard to put over the grilles when not playing the system to protect the grilles from the cats! There are few pairs of speakers I have that I prefer to play grilles-off, or can even tell a difference on versus off. Many of the 035ti and their variants I actually prefer with grille ons to kill their edge. L200s don't have much UHF bite to begin with.