PDA

View Full Version : Great Marantz day on CL

SEAWOLF97
05-30-2009, 02:31 PM
so I was up at 7am shingling the roof and came down about 9:30 when it started getting warm and came in to check CL .....found this half hour old ad
__________________________________________________ ________..
Marantz receiver and turntable
Date: 2009-05-30

Marantz model 2385 receiver, model 6170 turntable with direct drive servo control and diamond stylus, tower speakers and Aiwa stereo cassette deck, model AD-6350. All in good condition.
__________________________________________________ ________

figured the flippers wud be all over it and 'sides I didn't recognize the model number so went off to the call of breakfast...thot abt it all the way thru my pancakes and went back and answered after I was done ...Good Luck

started looking up the ad and figured 2385 must be an 85wpc receiver..not too bad ...then went to http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2385.html
and said "Holy Sh1t" !!! thats a RMS Power Per Channel185x2receiver Weight57.2 lbs ....well, of all miracles, the guy returned my email and said "com on over" ....he knew nothing abt it, came from wifes 1st husband ..million dollar house on the river.

Finale: yup I got it at an incredible price, with the Marantz 6170 tt and some weird Marantz 920 speakers ..need foams of course ...but the cabs are fantastic ..even finished on the back, you connect from the underside ...flipping the tt shud pay back the entire package. :D:D:D (thats my green shirt reflecting on everything)

SEAWOLF97
05-30-2009, 02:33 PM
and the speakers ..grills & cabs "like new" :applaud: (yes, they are 12's) even have both "Uni-Q" plugs ...they are "Design Series 920's"

SEAWOLF97
05-31-2009, 06:48 PM
woofers are out for refoaming....cabinets are very nice , super walnut veneer. They are like an L-100 with a built-in stand.(Ed May designed drivers) I read comments on my google search with owners saying "the most beautiful veneer I've ever seen" :applaud:
http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/0920.html

Looked up the Marantz 2385 on completed auctions....4 of them ,,all went between $600-700. sucker is a beast to move around. Will have to put speakers to it soon. :bouncy:

Lesson is : second husband doesn't care what he gets for first husbands stereo system, long as he marries up into expensive house and mate w/money. ;)

mech986
06-01-2009, 02:17 AM
Nice score Seawolf!! Are the woofers cast or stamped frame? I suspect the motor structure would be very similar to JBL's of that vintage. Will you have some pics of the refoamed woofers before they're installed?

The rounded veneer reminds one of the L300's rounded edge.

That 2385 is a beast!! Second only to the 2500/2600 which have the o'scopes. Otherwise, very similar in performance, some say the 2385 sounds better.

Sounds like you made out like a bandit!! :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
06-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Nice score Seawolf!! Are the woofers cast or stamped frame? Will you have some pics of the refoamed woofers before they're installed?

The rounded veneer reminds one of the L300's rounded edge.

all done and reinstalled...the woofers were stamped, I looked up the manf code and now cant remember the name...work fine tho.

the edges are solid wood like my 250ti's are ....these sound quite like L100's up on built-in stands, but a little smoother, wud guess better networks...the backsides are veneered too..there are wire guides and the connections are on the bottoms....no pad scratchyness, cabs are abt 99.5's ...no flaws that I can see ...grills perfect...no broken posts ..they are 3D grills that fasten at the 4 corners, but then there are rounded posts at the center sides to make them bow out a little.( can see in pic) ..the veneer is second best I've ever seen , just after the 250ti's.

midlife
06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Nice, hope you like them. The receiver is a monster :D

SEAWOLF97
06-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice, hope you like them. The receiver is a monster :D

speakers are playing "Whos Next" ..very punchy and clear ...gee, i cud live with these if I didnt already have speakers everywhere.

Wow ..a crack of summer thunder..sounds like a big rifle shot !!

yes, the receiver is 19x17 and 58 pounds...just a hassle to move around.

MyLittleViking
06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
May I ask what this collection cost you?? Sounds like you have a great system on your hands... That is the best sounding Marantz receiver of that vintage IMO. :applaud:

JBLRaiser
06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Here's one auction. Actually this one is on the low end of the scale. I've seen them near a thousand bills.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marantz-2385_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a13Q7c66Q3a2Q 7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a 50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a195765bQ QitemZ230344193627QQptZVintageQ5fElectronicsQ5fR2Q Qsalenotsupported

SEAWOLF97
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
May I ask what this collection cost you?? Sounds like you have a great system on your hands... That is the best sounding Marantz receiver of that vintage IMO. :applaud:

The 2385 is in to see the tech -all lights were out and sounded a little fuzzy- , but the speakers are outstanding...like mebbe an L100+ ..very punchy , but smoother ...oiled up cabs..WOW ...TT has new cart and is RTG ...AIWA cassette is only $25/30 to the right person , but I dont mind putting a little money into the 2385 since the whole system was $150. (highlite to view)

hence the heading "Great Marantz day on CL"

tech explained 22xx series Marantz - the xx is WPC ..the 23xx series - the 3 denotes adding one hundred, so 2285 is 85 wpc , but 2385 is 185 wpc.

>>Great score, Tom

thanx Raiser, I worked for this score
got another great one on the Horizon.

MyLittleViking
06-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Yep... hmm, sounds like an output cap... is it in both channels? Those speakers sound "closest" to the Pioneer HPM-100's... nothing at all like JBL... funny you make that distinction... nothing sounds at all like L100's thats not in JBL's pro line... They have a unique sonic character, prob. why they are so collectible today... but those speakers are BEAUTIFUL!

MikeBrewster77
06-04-2009, 07:27 PM
...the whole system was $150.

Holy crap dude! You're my new hero - nice score in-freaking-deed! :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
06-04-2009, 07:35 PM
nice score in-freaking-deed! :applaud:

the speakers even included the Vari-Q plugs ....made even before the famous ZilchPlug ....they are/were foam cylinders about 3 in diameter that go into the port with a shaft down the center and 2 ends....ends can be rotated to compress the foam even tighter for more seal.

instructions are to use with lower powered amps.

you can see a big gray rotted mess in the ports on first pic.

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
got the 2385 back today...Doug cleaned all controls, refurbed relays, adjusted DC offset and idle current ..replaced all lamps...put on 4 Marantz feet (suspect they were removed to fit into cabinet) ..... first time I've seen it light up..

He is a pro , and said it is one of the most powerful , musical receivers that he'd ever worked on.

lit up:

MikeBrewster77
06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
She sure is purdy!!! :applaud:

BMWCCA
06-10-2009, 05:12 PM
Very pretty! :applaud:

Just curious, if you don't mind saying, what does your guy charge for such a complete service on an old receiver?

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Very pretty! :applaud:

Just curious, if you don't mind saying, what does your guy charge for such a complete service on an old receiver?

$92 ..with 90 day warranty

I hooked it up to the Marantz speakers , the only ones its ever known , and My Golly !!! ..nicest receiver I've ever heard ....trying to figure all the controls , huge power ...only cosmetic fault is a slight scratch on the edge of the top corner by the meters.

Its also kinda cool on the display...there are pin point white markers on the tuning scale between the numerical markings...look red in the pic.

I was struggling to lug it into the house ..kept repeating "cannot drop, cannot drop ..."

MikeBrewster77
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
...kept repeating "cannot drop, cannot drop ..."

I know that one all too well - everytime I've moved the McIntosh I say that ... well, mentally at least because I'm too winded to say it out loud. (The box alone weighs about 15 lbs :blink:)

Your tech's service charge is exceptionally fair - I need to put a few things in for routine service, but haven't found anyone local yet.

Are you going to try running the Marantz in any of your known set ups for a true A-B?

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Your tech's service charge is exceptionally fair - I need to put a few things in for routine service, but haven't found anyone local yet.

doug is a good guy ..been there almost 20 years, most audio guys in the Portland / Vancouver area know him.Have bought and sold with him since..? 1984 ?

he even put on a set of feet on the 2385 - gratis

Audio Specialties - se 102nd

Are you going to try running the Marantz in any of your known set ups for a true A-B?

I'm going to let it run all day tomorrow with the marantz speakers , and if plays nice with those, may let it try on the 250ti's later ...:D

BMWCCA
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm going to let it run all day tomorrow with the marantz speakers , and if plays nice with those, may let it try on the 250ti's later ...:DNow see, if you'd kept those hateful L80Ts you could go for it without worrying about hurting anything you valued! ;) That's what I do with mine, though they really don't sound that bad, just near the bottom of my pile these days.

Looks like Doug treats you very well. Tough to find around here though this guy talks a good game. Does it sound like a bunch of smoke-blowing to anyone here? http://www.universalelectronicrepairs.com/

SEAWOLF97
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Now see, if you'd kept those hateful L80Ts ...

they wern't hateful , just not the sound that I wanted....and there are at least 20 more pairs to use for testing in their sted...found L80T's heavy , awkward and not rewarding is all. Happy to see them go to someone who appreciated them.

MikeBrewster77
06-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Does it sound like a bunch of smoke-blowing to anyone here? http://www.universalelectronicrepairs.com/

"Universal can fix ANYTHING!" does exude a certain arrogance that portends an inevitable hubris, but y'know... :rolleyes:

JBLRaiser
06-11-2009, 04:22 AM
got the 2385 back today...Doug cleaned all controls, refurbed relays, adjusted DC offset and idle current ..replaced all lamps...put on 4 Marantz feet (suspect they were removed to fit into cabinet) ..... first time I've seen it light up..

He is a pro , and said it is one of the most powerful , musical receivers that he'd ever worked on.

lit up:

powerful as hell. Yes, that's why they get the BIG BUCKS.:yes: and your tech is amazingly fast. SHWEEEEEET!!!!

SEAWOLF97
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
That awesome look and......powerful as hell. Yes, that's why they get the BIG BUCKS.:yes: and your tech is amazingly fast. SHWEEEEEET!!!!

had only tested on FM yesterday,,,today hooked up a DVD player and tossed in a CD ..
HolySh1t !!! that is a detailed image. :applaud:

funny thing...I was out buying the gear from CL ad this morning and the seller starts telling me about an ad on CL for a big Marantz receiver...we compare notes...he's telling me about MY ad.....anyway , he says if not sold by next week, that he will take it.

>>Great score, Tom
thanx Raiser, I worked for this score
got another great one on the Horizon.

the Horizon(s) in question

SEAWOLF97
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
and getting some strange emails that refer to the Marantz as "SHE' & "HER" , there seems almost a mystical attraction....:blink:

yeah , its airy and powerful and pretty , but inanimate - far as I call tell.

Mr. Widget
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
funny thing...I was out buying the gear from CL ad this morning and the seller starts telling me about an ad on CL for a big Marantz receiver...we compare notes...he's telling me about MY ad.....anyway , he says if not sold by next week, that he will take it.You gear flippers are funny... I've know car guys like that. Jumping from one used, used-to-be cool car to the next.

Good luck with your sale(s). ;)

Widget

SEAWOLF97
06-12-2009, 10:27 AM
You gear flippers are funny... I've know car guys like that. Jumping from one used, used-to-be cool car to the next.

Good luck with your sale(s). ;)

Widget

Your dismissive attitude noted.. ie: You gear flippers (as opposed to what ?...... US good guys ?) :barf:

I dont sell enough to qualify for that title , I suppose . flipper to me connotates someone who buys and turns around to unload quickly .. feel that the little I do would be more along the lines of "value added resaler" ..speakers get refoamed and tested, veneers revived, hardware problems corrected ... many classic systems get saved from the parter-outer people.
I just put money into restoring a desireable receiver.

Alot of this classic gear wud be in landfills and the HERITAGE audio would slowly disappear if this were not happening all over the world.

And before you come back with the "you are surely noble" remark , yes , there is money involved. I get to play with the gear I like for a while, gain more experience (make a lot of friends) and help pad out my retirement.

BUT , I do end up eating my share of unfixables ...prolly do only a little better than break even ...but keeps one busy.

Mr. Widget
06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Sorry dude... I really wasn't torpedoing you. I am sorry you mistook my post as a dismissive attack on your past time. I really don't have any problem with flippers in general... a few flippers on this forum I really respect and a couple I find mercenary and possibly a bit unscrupulous... in either case the fact that they buy and sell gear is of little consequence to me.

Based on numerous posts you have made, you buy and sell orders of magnitude more gear than I do and probably most of us here... is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

As for fixing up items like this Marantz and finding a new home for it, I agree that is a laudable service.

In my post above I found your conversation with the CL seller rather amusing... here is a guy trying to unload some gear on CL to someone else who is doing the same.... and then if you don't find a good home for it he'll fill his garage with your piece... isn't that ironic? I thought so.

Widget

hjames
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Your dismissive attitude noted.. ie: You gear flippers (as opposed to what ?...... US good guys ?) :barf:

Alot of this classic gear wud be in landfills and the HERITAGE audio would slowly disappear if this were not happening all over the world.

And before you come back with the "you are surely noble" remark , yes , there is money involved. I get to play with the gear I like for a while, gain more experience (make a lot of friends) and help pad out my retirement.

Nah, I've learned aboiut a lot of cool gear from you - vicarious living, as it were ...
even got that neat M&K Volkswoofer based on your pictures of one ...
Sounds nice and looks gorgeous!, even with my Citation amp instead of a plate amp

You keep it up, we can use the information/edjumacation/appreciation !!

SEAWOLF97
06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
here is a guy trying to unload some gear on CL to someone else who is doing the same.... and then if you don't find a good home for it he'll fill his garage with your piece... isn't that ironic? I thought so.

Widget

Well actually..NO ...

he is a guy moving into a smaller house and is moving his GF's gear that she has had since new ...I met her, we talked ..no, not a line as many sellers have.
As for filling a garage with my gear, I somewhat doubt that..got a weird email from him today

"Ok my friend. Your Marantz is eating a hole in my brain. I've been putting ever conceivable combination together trying to think of how I can get that thing off of you. So you may just have to get used to getting emails from me until we figure something out."

Ahh..the neg side of flippering :barf:

Based on numerous posts you have made, you buy and sell orders of magnitude more gear than I do and probably most of us here... is that a bad thing? I don't think so.
Widget

well unfortunately I seem to buy more than I sell...too much in storage .... I buy some gear that I know will never work again, but its too pretty to let go to the shredder.

BMWCCA
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey Seawolf, flip 'em this:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/jsi/lowres/jsin474l.jpg

SEAWOLF97
06-14-2009, 01:55 PM
had forgotten how much I like these little guys (well, little next to the 250ti's)
..only 1 foam was bad,,think I may pull the good one anyway , just to be matched. Grills attach with velcro , these are original HORIZONS with L-166 in small type....sound just as good as my L-166A's. :D

midlife
06-14-2009, 06:24 PM
had forgotten how much I like these little guys (well, little next to the 250ti's)
..only 1 foam was bad,,think I may pull the good one anyway , just to be matched. Grills attach with velcro , these are original HORIZONS with L-166 in small type....sound just as good as my L-166A's. :D
Nice, are those JBL risers or aftermarket? I need some***

SEAWOLF97
06-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Nice, are those JBL risers or aftermarket? I need some***

simple to make aftermarkets ..I posted photos , search if interested.

SUPERBEE
06-14-2009, 10:53 PM

lit up:

Those are GREAT rigs. NOICE score!

SEAWOLF97
06-15-2009, 05:43 AM
Those are GREAT rigs. NOICE score!

I was kinda sad to see it go away, but the new owner is a 2270 guy who will appreciate it...Easily the best sounding receiver that I've ever heard.

SEAWOLF97
06-24-2009, 07:24 AM

the guy who sold the L166s , B&O tt and nice MD deck has been out of work since Oct ...a tile cutter, I believe... just got this email , sounds like he got a job that many of us wud like

"Hey Tom, I just wanted to drop a quick line and wish ya luck with your surgery on Thursday. I've put up almost all of my amps on Craigs List. Bought a new one that really rocks and though I won't sell them all I'll see which ones go first and then pull back the rest. I'll probably sell two of the four. Anyway I have a bit of interesting news. I'm going to accept a job at a used record store MUSIC TIME in Beaverton. The manager runs it by himself and really needs help. I'm also going to work on getting him up and running on the internet. This guy is sitting on an AMAZING collection of mint records like you would not believe but he is holding them back until he can set up a good interntet sales program. He keeps them all stored in he back of the store and operates on a whole other inventory to sell through the store, it's crazy but wow what a collection. We're looking right now for a good programer to build a program that will act as an iterenet store front and give us tracking and current sales numbers on our inventory. It's going to be fun. As soon as your up and moving after your surgery you HAVE to come and check it out. Anyway say hi to your wife for me and I'll be talking at ya soon.....Ken" .

Hey HJ ..is this something you can do ?

SEAWOLF97
06-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Well , I got the B&O 4002 back from Doug today...BMWCCA was right..problem was solidified lubricant ...sounds nice now.
(and 90 day warranty)

Last week I was cleaning the garage and found a SVN flag that I picked up in 1969,,told the OL "hey, I just found $50" ..she thot I'm crazy , so just to prove my point, I put in on da Bay ..sold for $51 ...then sold the Marantz tt (first post in this thread) ...so..counting those 2 sales towards the B&O and its repair..the new TT cost $10 out of poket. :D I like it :applaud:

The B&O doesnt have a ground wire , but seems OK w/o it ..also DIN plugs with rca converters ..no dampening suspension that I see, but fairly immune to howling.

MikeBrewster77
06-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Classy looking table - always liked B&O's styling, and the one table I had by them sounded surprisingly nice. Not having to go through the ordeal of cartridge alignment and setup is an appealing feature as well. Only downside is the carts are getting a bit rare to come by, though there was still a company that manufactured reproductions when I had the tables. A bit pricey, but it's to be expected with a specialty item.

(Just Googled it - it's Soundsmith):http://www.sound-smith.com/cartridges/boall.html. Never did wind up ordering from them, so no personal experience.

So, now to the important part ............... how's it sound???

SEAWOLF97
06-30-2009, 06:23 PM
So, now to the important part ............... how's it sound???

well, I asked Doug , "my" repair tech if it was worth putting money into ..his answer was that the cart/stylus lasts forever and sounds vfine..he just sold same model/same condition unit for $349.

Been listening to Ronstadt at dinner on the B&O ..(Simple Dreams) there's really not much more than I cud ask from in its sound or operation ...full auto-belt drive , Danish modern with real teak trim. one nice feature is that you can back it up flush to a wall and the cover will still open. The DIN converter runs to 4 rca's, so I surmise that its from the quad era. ?

doug replaced the rca's with gold ones also as the origs had connectivity issues.

MikeBrewster77
06-30-2009, 07:02 PM
All sounds good! :thmbsup:

And nice choice in tunes - inspired me to throw on some vinyl of my own ;)

SEAWOLF97
06-30-2009, 08:42 PM

So tonight a guy comes over for the Horizons ....and he discovers that a brilliance pot is flakey, and he is correct....so I let him have my L-166a's at the same price.....I pull them reluctantly from the LR system and say goodbye...

OK...what to fit in the hole made by the Horizons ??? havnt listened to the 4410's in a while and they are the right sized cabinet,,so in they go.... WOW..they continue to impress me...mebbe not as much bass as the L166's,,,but the incredible detail :bouncy: ...they really coax the sweetness out of Linda..:D (both Simple Dreams & Prisoner in Disguise)

SEAWOLF97
07-01-2009, 05:23 PM
cleaned up pots on 2nd pair L166's and they went away this morning ....geeze , I have NO JBLs' with 12ers any longer ....but sure am enjoying the 4410s.

L26 -2x,L40.L56,4410,250ti is all the JBL thats left. :o:

Krunchy
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Classy looking table - always liked B&O's styling,

I can wholeheartedly agree with that, very sharp! (the cover looks brand new) Plus it sounds good :applaud:

SEAWOLF97
09-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Stopped by Audio Specialties yesterday ...Doug had 2 new to him Marantz receivers ....a 2385 & 2500

These are like the Holy Grail of older Marantz's ....anyway, he prices fairly and wants $795 for the 2385 & $1395 for the 2500....

He's usually open to a little bargaining and puts a 90 day transferable warranty on the items he sells ...

Dont know much abt the 2500, other than much more power & built in O-scope.

I was watching 2385 prices on eBay and the "who knows what you are getting/no warranty" ones there average between 600-1000 , so he is in the middle of the range, but offers valuable extras. :bouncy:

He may ship..but not sure

SEAWOLF97
08-26-2010, 02:48 PM

OKAY...I sold the 2385 after a month...sounded great, but no room to put it, and I'm doing separates now..

So new ad on CL.....the guy who bought it from me is re-re-selling and this thing has gained value at every transaction...he is actually 3rd owner since I bought it from original owners wife..

Marantz 2385 2nd owner - $975 (gresham)

Date: 2010-08-25, 8:51PM PDT

Beautiful sounding Marantz 2385(185 watts/channel) Reciever. All of the functions and lights work on this unit, it sounds awsome. It has few if any marks on it looks beautiful.