PDA

View Full Version : 4312 help

MrChamo
06-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Greetings all!

this is my first post, and i wanted to ask those who know in the forum a few qs:
I recently acquired a beautiful pair of 4312 control monitors.
now, the cabinets are a bit worn and there are some holes drilled by the prev. owner (i think they were for mounting brackets?)
I startd filling the holes with wood filler and i would like to stain the cabinets and bring them back to life.

Can anybody suggest specific steps to follow in order to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance
Claudio:thmbsup:

Tom Loizeaux
06-06-2004, 09:21 AM
If the walnut is still intact, then oiling the cabinet will do a lot to restore the original look. If the "wood filler" was a plastic wood type material, it will never stain to match the real walnut. The best way to fill larger holes in cabinets like these is to insert walnut discs or plugs, preferably with the same grain direction. Then you can achieve virtually invisable repair work.

Tom

boputnam
06-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by MrChamo
Can anybody suggest specific steps to follow in order to achieve this? Hey, Claudio... :wave:

Try the Search button, upper right on the webpage, and then use a string like "refinishing" or "finishing" or "sanding" posted by "Audiobeer" - he's our resident woodhead, and has done some amazing work that is archived somewhere on this site.

Good luck, and enjoy them 4312's!!

delshadowrio
06-07-2004, 07:55 AM
I have 4 JBL 4412's that had the mounting holes in them as yours. I bought walnut veneer in strips from Home Depot and as crazy as it sounds I used a cable TV brass fitting and sharpened the edge to make a punch. Worked great. I then drilled the holes in the cabinets to the size of the "punch" just through the veneer. I then filled the holes with wood glue and made sure it filled the holes completely. I punched out the holes with my home made punch in the veneer and placed it in the holes on the cabinets. They were exact enough that you can hardly see them at all. The key is to have the punch very sharp and the hole to the exact size. Remember that the grain must go in the same direction. I oiled them, not stained them and the holes blended right in. The best way to make the punch is to place the fitting into a drill and use a file to sharpen it.

It worked.

MM

4313B
06-07-2004, 07:59 AM
Cool delshadowrio! :)

MrChamo
06-07-2004, 04:50 PM
to all for the help replys!
i need to get in contact with mr audiobeer, his wok is very impressive!

till next time
C