PDA

View Full Version : Best speakers?



Figge
06-05-2004, 04:43 AM
hi! just thoght i put up a thread where all can say which speaker is the best youŽve ever heard & why. me myself haveŽnt heard heard the top of the line jbl:s. the ones i got a chance to hear are. L-19, L-50, L-100, L-110 ,L-200B, 4311, 4315 & jubal. in my opinion the 4315was the best. can only imagine the sound of the 4343 or 4430.

4313B
06-05-2004, 04:59 AM
Of the systems you mentioned I would put the 4315 first and the L110 second.

The best "custom" 4315 I ever heard had the 066 in place of the 077 and the crossover frequency lowered accordingly. :)

Figge
06-05-2004, 07:35 AM
was a couple of years ago i heard those 4315:s and i remember mike oldfields tubular bells 2 sounded like something outof a dream! the rest of the ones i mentioned are lightyears behind the performance i heard from those 4315.

locanti
06-05-2004, 08:01 AM
If you mean JBL speakers,4343 for kicking bass and extend respons,very impressive in a living room.I heard once a pair of 4350 but it was a too big sound in a professional recording studio.
I listen to K2 S9500 in a showroom:too much people to build my own opinion,but the sound was amazing.

Figge
06-05-2004, 08:17 AM
is K2 S9500 the "biggest" in that serie? saw a review of the big ones in a swedish hifi magazine. looks quite impressive. and a prisetag at quarter of a million swedish kroner.

locanti
06-05-2004, 08:34 AM
I don't know.Ask Niklas Nord,a swedish member too,as he is the proud owner of a pair of S9500.I guess he may know.

Infredible
06-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I leaved with my "modified" L100 for 15 years and recently got the 4343's and what a difference.
:jawdrop:
The transient and definition is unreal.
I listened to some 4350 long time ago in a showroom in Paris, they were playing the famous JBL demo vinyl (anybody have a copy?) and I was hooked forever...
It's all about snaps and pops :D

Fred.

Niklas Nord
06-05-2004, 01:35 PM
The s9500 is the best pair of loudspeakers that i have ever heard.
better than the s9800 in my ears.

IŽm so happy with my s9500 !

Soon they are being matched with 16 SUB1500 15" JBL drivers.

Guido
06-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Niklas Nord
Soon they are being matched with 16 SUB1500 15" JBL drivers.

:nutz: :nutz: :nutz:

whitese
06-07-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Infredible
I leaved with my "modified" L100 for 15 years and recently got the 4343's and what a difference.
:jawdrop:
The transient and definition is unreal.
I listened to some 4350 long time ago in a showroom in Paris, they were playing the famous JBL demo vinyl (anybody have a copy?) and I was hooked forever...
It's all about snaps and pops :D

Fred.

I have a copy of the JBL demo LP....:)

whitese
06-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Niklas Nord
The s9500 is the best pair of loudspeakers that i have ever heard.
better than the s9800 in my ears.

IŽm so happy with my s9500 !

Soon they are being matched with 16 SUB1500 15" JBL drivers.

Boy, thats a lot of electromagnetism...I hope you already have children..:D :D

Don McRitchie
06-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Figge
is K2 S9500 the "biggest" in that serie? saw a review of the big ones in a swedish hifi magazine. looks quite impressive. and a prisetag at quarter of a million swedish kroner.

The M9500 is the biggest to date in the K2 series. It was introduced in 1993 and discontinued in 1999. It uses the same drivers as the S9500, but in a significantly larger enclosure and with a custom cross-over. It is designed to have better bass extension than the S9500.

http://www.harman-japan.co.jp/products/jbl_cons/image_jc/m9500.jpg

Figge
06-10-2004, 02:09 PM
well now iŽve finaly bought a pair of 4430. and i mean holy mother of....there are no existing word that possibly can describe the difference between these and my 4311. i drove about 1100 Km and it was worth it! i came home popped a cold one, hooked em up, and shit!!! never even thought a pair of speakers could make the sound i am hearing.

4313B
06-10-2004, 02:20 PM
Yeah, they really stink don't they? :p

Figge
06-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
Yeah, they really stink don't they? :p



the 4311:s? :) YES! allways thoght they sound pretty good and i know they do. but in A/B with 4430 well! they did in fact stink.

Hofmannhp
06-11-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Figge (edited by HP)
......, and shit!!! ......

Hi Figge,

I think to know what Giskard means, when he's talking about "stink":D

HP

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2004, 03:50 AM
Apparently its all relative . Right Giskard.

Ian

4313B
06-11-2004, 03:54 AM
I meant the 4430's really stink. :p
It's a joke... I have twisted humor. :D
Yeah, it's all relative.

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2004, 04:03 AM
Giskard,

Did you see my email about the 1.5 inch version of the 2344 by P.A.........

Chuck a dog a bone and say fetch.

Ian

4313B
06-11-2004, 05:10 AM
No, I didn't see that email. I can't imagine the top end being all that great. One might have to employ a UHF transducer as well.

Guido
06-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
Giskard,

Did you see my email about the 1.5 inch version of the 2344 by P.A.........

Chuck a dog a bone and say fetch.

Ian

The P-Audio PH 316 have the same or even better response than the 2344! I'll post response graphs later.

4313B
06-11-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Guido
The P-Audio PH 316 have the same or even better response than the 2344! I'll post response graphs later. The UHF limitations are in the 1.5" JBL transducers Guido.

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2004, 07:59 AM
Make a 3 way then.

Ian

4313B
06-11-2004, 08:08 AM
A 4311 is a 3-way :yes:

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2004, 08:28 AM
No no, thats a Bo Box.

I mean't a nice uhf driver for the 2344 1/1/2 driver, a 066 biamped sitting atop the 4430.

Ian

Guido
06-11-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
The UHF limitations are in the 1.5" JBL transducers Guido.

I measured them with the 2426 and an adaptor.

2426 on 2344 on Axis with 4430 xover

Guido
06-11-2004, 08:32 AM
2426 on 2344 60 degree horizontal with 4430 xover

Guido
06-11-2004, 08:33 AM
2426 on PH316 on Axis with 4430 xover

Guido
06-11-2004, 08:34 AM
2426 on PH316 60 degree horizontal with 4430 xover

Ian Mackenzie
06-11-2004, 08:44 AM
I can buy them locally for $125 and a matching 1.5 inch driver $200.00

Ian

4313B
06-11-2004, 08:49 AM
I thought we strayed off topic to aftermarket 1.5" throat versions of the original JBL 1" throat 2344 horn?

And the 2426 is a 1" throat compression driver. We all know the 2425/2426 is probably the best JBL platform for a JBL 2-way.

4313B
06-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Guido
I measured them with the 2426 and an adaptor.

2426 on 2344 on Axis with 4430 xover I don't get it. Why quote me on 1.5" drivers and then post graphs of 1" drivers? I'm confused.

Guido
06-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
I thought we strayed off topic to aftermarket 1.5" throat versions of the original JBL 1" throat 2344 horn?

And the 2426 is a 1" throat compression driver. We all know the 2425/2426 is probably the best JBL platform for a JBL 2-way.

I did these tests only to find a substitute for the 2344 as this is NLA.
So why not combine the 2426 with the PH316? The PH316 has an 1,5" throat but JBL used Adaptors so we can too. The 1" to 1,5" Adaptor is also available from P-Audio.

OK that is a little bit off topic but what to do without 2344? I got two brandnew on german ebay. But they show off maximum twice a year :(

4313B
06-11-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
No no, thats a Bo Box.

I mean't a nice uhf driver for the 2344 1/1/2 driver, a 066 biamped sitting atop the 4430.

Ian Oh!

Actually, I'm pretty happy with the 4430 as it was originally designed with the aluminum diaphragm.

4313B
06-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Guido
I did these tests only to find a substitute for the 2344 as this is NLA.
So why not combine the 2426 with the PH316? The PH316 has an 1,5" throat but JBL used Adaptors so we can too. The 1" to 1,5" Adaptor is also available from P-Audio.

OK that is a little bit off topic but what to do without 2344? I got two brandnew on german ebay. But they show off maximum twice a year :( Oh, I thought p-audio had a 1" version of the 2344.

Is it possible to transpose the graphs? It's almost as if the P-Audio version doesn't require as much passive EQ. Can the graph data be dumped to flat files and then imported into Excel?

Guido
06-11-2004, 09:00 AM
To stop the confusion;)

Guido
06-11-2004, 09:00 AM
And......

4313B
06-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Guido
To stop the confusion;) It'll never happen Guido! I am perpetually confused. :p

P.S. I'll give you three guesses what showed up today and the first two don't count. Don't post your answer on the forum though! ;)

Guido
06-11-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
It'll never happen Guido! I am perpetually confused. :p

P.S. I'll give you three guesses what showed up today and the first two don't count. Don't post your answer on the forum though! ;)

No answer but:

:cheers:

Guido
06-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
Oh, I thought p-audio had a 1" version of the 2344.

Is it possible to transpose the graphs? It's almost as if the P-Audio version doesn't require as much passive EQ. Can the graph data be dumped to flat files and then imported into Excel?


I'll try tonight or tomorrow.
But please explain what exactly do you need. The graphs in excel or the values?

4313B
06-11-2004, 09:34 AM
The values so anyone can import them into a spreadsheet/graphing package such as Excel. That's the easiest way I know to be able to transpose the data.

Figge
06-11-2004, 10:11 AM
DAMN!!! the 4430 ROCKS!!! hell! why haveŽnt u guys told me erlier that 4311 sucked?:D

4313B
06-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Because it was a secret but now you've gone and let the cat out of the bag dood. :D

Now we won't be able to pick up pairs of 4430's off eBay cheaper than the going price for a pair of L65's or L100's!

Figge
06-11-2004, 05:35 PM
good point!!! here i come messinŽ it all up? :D

Figge
06-12-2004, 11:18 AM
hell! for the first time in my life i hear music coming from my records!! advise to all the ppl out there: get these speakers no matter what! !!!satisfaction garantied!!!

Guido
06-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Giskard
The values so anyone can import them into a spreadsheet/graphing package such as Excel. That's the easiest way I know to be able to transpose the data.

As requested the files in .frd format

Ken Andrew
06-14-2004, 04:06 AM
I listened hard and wide before I purchased my 4315, 28 years ago. The alternatives then were the JBL L166 Horizon (flatter but less bass) and the Yamaha NS100 (slightly more midrange colouration and less treble).

The 'essence' of JBL sound is 15 inch bass with compression driver. The smaller models 4301, etc are simply trading on the JBL name and provide only a 'suggestion' of the real thing. With the 4311 and 4313, you get a 'taste' but hardly a mouthful.

The 4315 is an excellent speaker in domestic setting but suffers from excessive treble. Beyond 12 oclock on the volume, you need a 15 inch driver to match the top end which continues to get louder. The 077 slot is capable of slicing air. I have always regretted not having the extra $1000 to get one of the bigger models (4333, 4343, etc).

Dont buy anything JBL with less than 12 inch.

4313B
06-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Ken Andrew
The 'essence' of JBL sound is 15 inch bass with compression driver. The smaller models 4301, etc are simply trading on the JBL name and provide only a 'suggestion' of the real thing. With the 4311 and 4313, you get a 'taste' but hardly a mouthful.They are actually very well scaled for their intended applications. For some reason concepts of "scalability" and "intended application" continue to elude many people.


Originally posted by Ken Andrew
The 4315 is an excellent speaker in domestic setting but suffers from excessive treble.It sounds absolutely fantastic in the Studio where it belongs. Oh wait, there's that "intended application" thingie popping up again.


Originally posted by Ken Andrew
Dont buy anything JBL with less than 12 inch.Rubbish.

boputnam
06-14-2004, 07:21 AM
... all of it.

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 08:26 AM
So thats why you have your ears padded by like a Dorg ...As you Yankees say.

Ian:rotfl: :nutz:

Figge
06-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Ken Andrew
The smaller models 4301, etc are simply trading on the JBL name and provide only a 'suggestion' of the real thing.



im quite shure this speaker is intended for other purposes than the 4343. a buddie of mine produces/mixes Rap/hiphop beats. and has a small studio with some computers and synth:s and samplers etc. heŽs been using a pair of pioneer HPM-70, a 4-way 10" bass (jbl copy) system. that i hooked him up with a couple of years ago. he never complained about them. but today i hooked up a pair of L-19:s and tossed the pioneers out. i placed them on each side of the pc:s monitor by about 8":s. and he didnt believe his ears! natural crisp sound with believe it or not a lot of bass. he fell in love! maybe iŽll turn him into a jbl freak, who knows?. So letŽs face it! a pair of 4343 would perform terrible under this condititons! first off they wouldnt fit on his studio table, and if they did the sound imaging (when sitting less than one meter from the speakers & having two 15" woofers right in the face) would be terrible.

so im with Giskard "intended application"

boputnam
06-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
So thats why you have your ears padded by like a Dorg ...As you Yankees say. Yankees can't possibly speak as well as you type... ;)

*****

Oh wait, you're the one hosting a group hug for your L100's. Now I get it...

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Oh whats that.buzzing....gee thats a bad signal to noise ratio you got Bo.

I started at the top (4343-4345s) get it, its just that I am backward compatible with guys like you who spent 3 decades of suffering........... at the bottom.

Huggs...LOL, Well its much nicer to feel good about all those raspy years behind you.

Ian

:rotfl: :scoot: :scoot: :scoot:

4313B
06-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by boputnam
Oh wait, you're the one hosting a group hug for your L100's. Now I get it... It that what that satanic ritual is going on in that Resurrection thread??? Just a harmless L100 groupie hug??? I called the exorcist and got my prayer beads all knotted up for nothing! :banghead:

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Apparently......but I enjoyed watching.

Ian:wave:

boputnam
06-14-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
...but I enjoyed watching. IAN!! :scold:

:banghead: Damned Aussie...

Ian Mackenzie
06-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Now we'll have't un-knot him.....try reverse engineering a K2.

So much for lit entertainent while we await Tim's musings the his cellar.

Ian

Kalle
01-09-2014, 02:07 AM
I did these tests only to find a substitute for the 2344 as this is NLA.
So why not combine the 2426 with the PH316? The PH316 has an 1,5" throat but JBL used Adaptors so we can too. The 1" to 1,5" Adaptor is also available from P-Audio.

OK that is a little bit off topic but what to do without 2344? I got two brandnew on german ebay. But they show off maximum twice a year :(

How would this horn work with a 1,5" driver as 2447 or 2451 for example? Is there any special reason why this would be a bad idea?
/Karl