PDA

View Full Version : Altec Super Surround

rgwalker
05-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I've been procrastinating for weeks about setting up a super surround system from the odds and ends that I have in the garage and today I did it. The hold up has been because I only have one 5.1 channel preamp and it's a major pain in the ass to move it for one day only.

This system blew me away and there is room for improvement from the room itself to the DVDP, the cables and the crossovers.

The fronts are 604Es in Barzilay cabinets with McIntosh MC30 amps. The centers are 604-8Gs in some old guitar cabinets with McIntosh MC30 amps. The rears are Valencias with a Harmon Kardon A700 70 watt integrated stereo tube amp and the sub is an Infinity with 2x15s and a 500 watt amp. I'm using the preamp only from a Sony ES receiver and a Sony bottom of the line DVDP that reads DTS.

It's 100+ degrees here and easily 120+ in the garage. I should have left after two albums but couldn't tear myself away for another 30 minutes. I really need to get it inside of the house or put it away and forget about it.

Bob Walker