PDA

View Full Version : Foam surround interchangeability

doyall
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Anyone know if foam surrounds made for LE8's are suitable for use with the 112A/H transducer out of a L212? Orange County Speakers says so ("This kit is the exact size and fit for the models listed below: 112, 112A, 112-A, 112 A, 112H, 112-H, 112 H, LE8, LE-8, LE 8, LE8T, LE-8T, LE 8T, LE8T-H, LE8TH ...") but I have a LE8 surround fitted (but not yet glued) to a 112H that seems just a bit small in diameter where the inside of the roll meets the cone.

BMWCCA
05-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Anyone know if foam surrounds made for LE8's are suitable for use with the 112A/H transducer out of a L212? Orange County Speakers says so ("This kit is the exact size and fit for the models listed below: 112, 112A, 112-A, 112 A, 112H, 112-H, 112 H, LE8, LE-8, LE 8, LE8T, LE-8T, LE 8T, LE8T-H, LE8TH ...") but I have a LE8 surround fitted (but not yet glued) to a 112H that seems just a bit small in diameter where the inside of the roll meets the cone. I can't tell you whether it's right or not, but others can. What would I do about it? Do a search of this site for "Rick Cobb". There's really no reason to be buying surrounds from someplace that doesn't take the time to ask the right questions. For instance Rick knows there are at least two different diameters for the 12" 128H woofer and at least two for the 10"-ers, too (127H-1), and he asked me specifically to measure my L112 before he completed my order. The 8's are probably no different. I can't imagine there's a lot of money to be saved by going anywhere else. Even if it costs more to go first-class, that's better than sitting around wondering why the surround doesn't seem to fit.

Good luck. :)

midlife
05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
I have my LE10s packed up and ready to ship for surround replacing. I had planned to go to OC, should I have any doubts about their service? I have also contacted Great Plains and they told me providing & installing surrounds for JBLs is no problem? What to do? :(

doyall
05-26-2009, 04:33 PM
... What would I do about it? Do a search of this site for "Rick Cobb". ...

Thanks for the suggestion.

Rick Cobb also says they use the same surrounds.

This is going to be tricky.

BMWCCA
05-26-2009, 07:15 PM
I have my LE10s packed up and ready to ship for surround replacing. I had planned to go to OC, should I have any doubts about their service? I have also contacted Great Plains and they told me providing & installing surrounds for JBLs is no problem? What to do? :(First make sure they understand you want the surrounds attached to the back of the cone. I've seen many complaints, here and elsewhere, where they've ignored this convention and say either it doesn't matter or that's how JBL says to do it. Next, ask for photos to ensure the surround kit they're using matches the profile of the original surrounds. May or may not make a difference but you'll sure feel better knowing at least they look right and have the small roll, whether or not they sound right! You do realize there's no such thing as a JBL factory surround other than what comes attached to a factory re-cone kit, right? Regardless of what OC may say.

Rick Cobb also says they use the same surrounds.
Yeah, but did you get yours from Rick Cobb? Do you know where yours are from? Did you get them from OC, or just use their fitment guidelines? Someone may have sent you generic 8" surrounds that just don't fit the JBLs. I'm only guessing since you've not really provided much information, or any photos to go by.

Hope it works out for you. :)

midlife
05-26-2009, 07:45 PM
[quote=BMWCCA;252925] You do realize there's no such thing as a JBL factory surround other than what comes attached to a factory re-cone kit, right? Yes I do know that, there has to be a pretty good market for speaker repair whether its vintage or modern. It seems a little odd to me that there isn't a trusted repair shop that people can send their stuff too, while not only trusting the work will be done correctly but finding that it actually was???

doyall
05-27-2009, 04:36 AM
... Someone may have sent you generic 8" surrounds that just don't fit the JBLs. ...

While sourced elsewhere they are identical to ones I did get from Rick right down to the small white lettering on the back that says SFJBLLE8. I even dry fitted one on a LE8TH2 before installing Rick's. Identical fit, etc. I'm satisfied they are the same part. FWIW, the cones on the LE8TH2's are not the same diameter as on the 112H's, hence my question. Appreciate the concern much.

BMWCCA
05-27-2009, 05:45 AM
While sourced elsewhere they are identical to ones I did get from Rick right down to the small white lettering on the back that says SFJBLLE8. I even dry fitted one on a LE8TH2 before installing Rick's. Identical fit, etc. I'm satisfied they are the same part. FWIW, the cones on the LE8TH2's are not the same diameter as on the 112H's, hence my question. Appreciate the concern much.Interesting that the surround has such markings. I never noticed "JBL" in the part number on the ones I've done. All my 128 surrounds say "SF2214". Seems you've found reason for the manufacturer (SF?) to create one more iteration. I'd even suggest a new part number for them: SFJBL112. ;)