PDA

View Full Version : L220s at long last!

tarior
05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
After searching for something like 10 years to find some nice L220s that were within driving distance, reasonably priced, and having the time and $$ simultaneously, I scored some big time.
Here's the short version:
I was sitting in front of the computer last Tuesday night, googling things that I would like to own, when I came across a CL ad for a pair of L220s for sale. I figured that they were going to be located about a hundred miles east of BFE, but the heading said Corvallis. Hmmm... I click the link, and in the pics the speakers look very nice, usual missing foam. Guy that has them is the original owner, paid something like $2G for them in '81.
The price is good, so I'm pretty sure that they are gone, and I just forget about it and go to bed.
The next morning, I'm checking my email and decide to check and see if the listing is still there. Well, it is, so I call the # and leave a message.
Fast forward to Friday around noon, I get a call from the guy with the JBLs.:applaud::barf:I compose myself and get to talking turkey. I talk with the guy for a bit, and let it slip that I've been wanting a pair of those for a very long time, which is good because he would like them to go to a good home.
So just as soon as my kid was out of school for the day, I closed up shop and hauled ass for Albany, about 120 miles from where I live. I meet the guy and check out the speakers. They are in better shape than he described, even the bottoms look good. A deal is struck, and for $650 I have my prize.
As I'm driving down the road, I notice the cones on the passives are really flapping in the breeze, so I pull over and get out a screwdriver and pull them and the woofers to put them in the cab so they won't get ruined.
Lo and behold, giant magnets? LE14H? Cool beans! L220As. Bonus!!
I had LE14 foams and dustcaps on hand, but it's going to be a long week waiting for the foams for the PR15Ds to come in.:( I've been playing them a little without the PRs, and they're pretty tubby with the passives out.:D

Titanium Dome
05-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Very nice. Congratulations! It's great to see a long-term desire fulfilled.

wsilva
05-18-2009, 12:19 AM
I have always wanted to hear the L220's, I bet they have some kick to them!

Hope you enjoy your long wanted toys :)

johnaec
05-18-2009, 10:40 AM
They are in better shape than he described, even the bottoms look good. A deal is struck, and for $650 I have my prize.
Outstanding deal, considering that this pair just sold for $1,699.99 on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110386851304

And here's a pair currently listed with a $999 starting price:http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L220-Vintage-Speaker-Pair-No-Reserv_W0QQitemZ320372998289QQihZ011QQcategoryZ327 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

John

tarior
05-18-2009, 11:06 AM
I saw that first pair, and the ones I just got are nicer. The second pair have been listed a couple of times, and they are in pretty poor cosmetic shape. It's a real bummer to see such great speakers treated so poorly.:(Speaking of proper care, I need to dust those lenses.

oznob
05-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Very nice score, one of my favorite JBL's! I have a pair of L222's with less than nice cabinets. I just picked up a pair of empty L220 cabs in much better condition and they were within driving distance, w/crossovers!:thmbsup: Just put one cab together today. Will get the other one done tomorrow. I plan on re-capping the spare crossovers and replacing the L-pads. I will keep you posted on my progress if you are interested. Agian, great score!:applaud:

tarior
05-19-2009, 07:35 AM
I will keep you posted on my progress if you are interested. Agian, great score!:applaud:
I like to see that there are other fans of the L220.

Doc Mark
05-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Hey, Tarior,

Outstanding bit of good fortune, Sir! Well done and congratulations on scoring your long-loved L220's!! My own "dream" speaker was a pair of L300's, and after lusting after them for 40 years, I now own a wonderful pair, myself! So, I know how satisfying the completion of such dream can be! Enjoy those L200's. They look great, and I'm very happy for your success. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

midlife
05-22-2009, 08:28 AM
They look nice, congrats. Question; your L220s pics show a lense segment in the mid port. The other photos I have seen seem to have the lense flanking the center port and no lense in the center. Do different year L220s have dissimiliar lense configurations?

tarior
05-22-2009, 08:32 AM
That's not a port behind the lens, it's the midrange speaker, the lens is there to maintain its dispersion over a wider angle. And from one of the design papers I read, helps keep its frequency response smooth.

midlife
05-22-2009, 08:38 AM
That's not a port behind the lens, it's the midrange speaker, the lens is there to maintain its dispersion over a wider angle. And from one of the design papers I read, helps keep its frequency response smooth. I do understand what the lense does and that there is a mid speaker behind it. My real question is that some 220s that I have seen do not have a center lense section, is it missing or do different year 220s have different lense configurations? thanks.

tarior
05-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh, I misunderstood you.;)As far as I know, they all came with the lens, and the cabinet configurations are identical. With the exception that the walnut trim pieces on either side of the grill were omitted on the L222. The only changes I'm aware of over the production of the L220/222 was the change to the LE14H woofer from the LE14A.

Allanvh5150
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I have always lusted for a pair of 220's since I saw them as a teenager. I love PR systems and I have 2 pair of DIY L150's. The 220 is a monster amongst monsters! Nice.

Allan.