PDA

View Full Version : Just came back from Macon, Ga.

JBLRaiser
05-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Went with a friend who is assisting with the master landscape plan for the Allman Brothers's Museum that will open in the fall. It will house memorabilia from road manager Kirk West and donors from around the world. Through the project manager, Greg Potter, we took a tour of the progress and history of "The Big House" as it is known and then on to Rose Hill Cemetary where Duane and Berry are buried, side by side. Lastly, we visited the warehouse, in an office bulding in downtown Macon to view the many artifacts from the good ole days that will move to the house on Vineville when completed. All in all, a great day. Some pictures from the trip are included.

hjames
05-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Very nice. Thank you for sharing with us!

ka7niq
05-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I remember the Allman Brothers Band.
Unfortunately, MY memories of them include Duane Allman RATTING OUT one of his friends to the Police, to get HIMSELF out of trouble :(

OOPS, MY Bad

During recording of fifth album, Brothers and Sisters, another accident hit the Allman Brothers camp when Berry Oakley was also killed in a motorcycle accident only couple blocks from where Duane Allmans accident took place. They eventually managed to finish the album and Brothers and Sisters became their biggest success to date. First single "Ramblin' Man" took #2 position in the charts and another single, “Jessica” remains a highlight of their shows even today.
Year 1974 marked the beginning of the end for The Allman Brothers Band: Members concentrated to various solo projects and Gregg Allmans drug- and alcohol problems got out of control. The band finally called it a day in 1976 when Gregg Allman turned into a snitch and testified against three friends on a federal drug case.
In 1989 The Allman Brothers Band reunited and has stayed together since. They remain a top concert attraction and have held an annual "Beacon Run",a spring tradition, where they play for few consecutive nights every year at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.

JBLRaiser
05-17-2009, 10:21 AM
The girl is 'Little Martha', Duane's only recorded song written by him and the other is the Elizabeth Reed headstone that provided them with another song title. They spent much time hanging out in the cemetary getting high and working on songs. The Ocmulgee river runs along side, as does a train track, in this 169 year old cemetary. The also used the cemetary for many photo shoots. The one shot of a wrought iron cap, is covered with grease that Berry Oakley's sister, Candy, puts on the fence to keep people from jumping the fence around the grave site.

JBLRaiser
05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
I had to get a shot of the roadie cases from the Fillmore shows.Reportedly stolen, they was found in a snow bank in New York City. It cost $800 to get them back years later. The room, about 50 by 100 is packed with memorabilia. I was only allowed to take pictures of things already in the public domain. Many things like a canceled check, paid to Duane for $63, written by Greg and endorsed by Duane(one of few signatures they have of his) and the like were off limits until the get them in the museum.

JBLRaiser
05-17-2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.thebighousemuseum.org/home.htm

John
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
You know till you posted this I had no clue Macon was home base for the band. All these years driving up and down I-75 the billboard that welcomes you to Macon Ga. mentions it is the home of Little Richard. :(

John
05-17-2009, 02:25 PM
I remember the Allman Brothers Band.
Unfortunately, MY memories of them include Duane Allman RATTING OUT one of his friends to the Police, to get HIMSELF out of trouble :(

Gregg Allmans drug- and alcohol problems got out of control. The band finally called it a day in 1976 when Gregg Allman turned into a snitch and testified against three friends on a federal drug case.

You know I forgot all about this till you dredged it all back up. It was a shame that they wanted the drugs and enjoyed the drugs but then took the easy way out. I guess they decided they could not handle potential jail time. :( So they let there friends do the time.:o:

JBLRaiser
05-17-2009, 03:00 PM
You know till you posted this I had no clue Macon was home base for the band. All these years driving up and down I-75 the billboard that welcomes you to Macon Ga. mentions it is the home of Little Richard. :(

was born in Georgia. The Allmans were born in Tennessee, lived in Daytona Beach Fla. in their teens and only moved to Macon when their manager, Phil Walden, convinced them to come there.

John
05-18-2009, 12:01 AM
was born in Georgia. The Allmans were born in Tennessee, lived in Daytona Beach Fla. in their teens and only moved to Macon when their manager, Phil Walden, convinced them to come there.

Thanks for clearing that up. nice to know.:bouncy:

ka7niq
05-27-2009, 09:58 PM
You know I forgot all about this till you dredged it all back up. It was a shame that they wanted the drugs and enjoyed the drugs but then took the easy way out. I guess they decided they could not handle potential jail time. :( So they let there friends do the time.:o:
I will NOT even LISTEN to them anymore.
Never really liked them all that much anyway, back in the day.
But, to RAT a buddy out to save your OWN Azz to me is unforgiveable.
Ted Nugent is another Hypocrite :barf:
He sang all about DRUGS, but now he "never did them" :bs:

BMWCCA
05-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I will NOT even LISTEN to them anymore.Click it!

http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/images/posterpic.jpg (http://www.thelanguageofmusic.com/flv/td_flv_pop.htm)

ka7niq
05-27-2009, 11:07 PM
Good info :)
The B 52's are from Georgia, REM too.
Jim Morrison is from Florida, ,or was !