PDA

View Full Version : Sales: Bose vs JBL

Akira
05-16-2009, 07:15 PM
I read a report that says Bose has annual sales of 4.5 billion....wow.
Also of interest is the company apparently spends more on marketing than all other speaker manufacturers combined.
Just curious, any idea how JBL sales compare?

Rolf
05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Some companies sell there soul. Guess Armand is turning in his grave.

BMWCCA
05-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Guess Armand is turning in his grave.That would be Amar.

Mr. Widget
05-17-2009, 12:40 AM
Some companies sell there soul. Guess Armand is turning in his grave.Maybe he is... who is he?

Amar Bose, the founder of Bose Corporation is still with us.

Widget

MikeBrewster77
05-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Harman did $4.113 billion last year. Their annual report doesn't appear to detail net sales by brand, only by segment, so what chunk of that number is comprised of JBL products, I don't know... :dont-know

Akira
05-17-2009, 07:02 AM
Harman did $4.113 billion last year. Their annual report doesn't appear to detail net sales by brand, only by segment, so what chunk of that number is comprised of JBL products, I don't know... :dont-know
In that case Bose definitely outsold JBL. When you consider that JBL has a pretty diversified lineup and Bose is mainly consumer.

Akira
05-17-2009, 07:09 AM
I know it's popular to trash Bose but, the original 901's were supposed to be a good product has anyone heard them that can comment.

Although I never heard them, they had a professional equivalent, the same size and basic design that employed eight 4" drivers all firing forward. They were excellent speakers for their intended application--crystal clear natural vocals. We used to use them for conferencing, and you could even playback music with acceptable results. A pair can easily cover 100 people in a meeting.

BMWCCA
05-17-2009, 07:32 AM
In that case Bose definitely outsold JBL. When you consider that JBL has a pretty diversified lineup and Bose is mainly consumer.Don't forget the installed OE Bose systems for cars and all those table radios sold via infomercials. Not that Harman's Infinity and JBL don't operate as OE suppliers to the automotive industry. I suspect the lion's share of Bose sales are iPod docks, table radios, noise-canceling headphones, tiny-cube "HT-in-a-box" systems, and the like. My guess is their line of "home stereo" speakers isn't really pulling it's weight, either. Bose' sales success is simply a testimonial to the power of marketing, the stupidity of the American consumer, and changing lifestyles where "invisible" is a selling point for speakers, without regard for "fidelity".

We used to say if sales volume said anything about product quality, a Chevrolet Impala would be a quality vehicle. Now that GM is no longer a sales leader, maybe we're finding out that quality means more than it did, especially when money gets tight. You can't draw much of a conclusion in quality from sales-volume comparisons with JBL and Bose. The top-three best-selling automobile models in the U.S. last year were the Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado, and Toyota Camry. Unless you're looking for just basic appliances, you have to go a long way down the sales charts to find anything a descriminating buyer would consider quality in the car sales charts. Most likely the same is true for speakers.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-17-2009, 08:20 AM
I know it's popular to trash Bose but, the original 901's were supposed to be a good product has anyone heard them that can comment.

Hi Akira, long time no chat.

I remember when the Bose 901's hit the scene in the mid 70's. They definately caused a buzz. A few guys I knew in Winnipeg bought them and flew them from the ceiling. I must admit they were impressive at the time. Were they high fidelity....no, but they sure could take high volume without blowing up.

Bose is a good example of marketing done well. Its a shame that Harman has not been able to recapture the consumer market to the degree JBL enjoyed in the 60's and 70's.

Ken

Harvey Gerst
05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I know it's popular to trash Bose but, the original 901's were supposed to be a good product. Has anyone heard them that can comment?
I remember being at a NAMM show in Chicago when they came out. They set up a demo PA at a blues club featuring Buddy Guy. I remember the high end being so shrill, I had to leave after just a few minutes. It could have been the FOH guy had the top end cranked, but it was dreadful.

Chas
05-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Also of interest is the company apparently spends more on marketing than all other speaker manufacturers combined.

Makes sense to me, when there is little of substance to sell, you market the hell out of it.:)

Isn't that what drives all the "branding" nonsense today that drives consumerism?

spkrman57
05-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't think audiophiles will be seeking out vintage Bose speakers like we do with vintage JBL speaker systems!!!

Regards, Ron

Audiobeer
05-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Take a company like Bose, I think it's very revealing when you compare what Bose spends on Research & Development compared to any major player like JBL. It WILL SHOCK YOU. :D

Mr. Widget
05-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Bose is a good example of marketing done well.Absolutely... Bose, Bud, Marlboro cigarettes... all three offer an average product with above average marketing... leading to market dominance.

That said. Bose has focused on the desire to have invisible speakers as opposed to invisible sound. ;) Their consumer friendly designs at the cost of sonics have proven to be a very marketable design. JBL has to be blamed for not going after this market too. It can be done with better sonics than Bose and still be consumer friendly... unfortunately JBL hasn't put any serious R+D into this end of the market... their smaller systems are mostly "me too" junk.

Widget

Akira
05-17-2009, 11:15 AM

Yes, hi Ken it's been a while, but I have been following your Westlake threads.
You are the man...I can't play in your league.
As I have said a number of times on LH, Westlake are the only system I have heard that have completely blown me away.

unfortunately JBL hasn't put any serious R+D into this end of the market... their smaller systems are mostly "me too" junk.
Widget
I once bought one of JBL's mini 'Bose' systems for an apartment I had years back...sounded worse than Bose but only cost $500. for a comlpete theater in a box. THE ONLY JBL'S I EVER RETURNED....but, the only thing JBL put into them was the sticker...the Chinese did the rest.

George Roland
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
You'd like to hear from someone who owned Bose 901s, eh? Okay, I'm up for this!

I bought a pair of Bose 901 IIIs around 1974-76 or so, don't recall exactly. Prior to purchasing them, my only "stereos" had been a Sears plastic portable "record player" with little detachable speakers and, somewhat later, my first system consisting of a used Fisher tube integrated amp, a Garrard turntable and a pair of new B&O Beovox S60s, actually a quite nice little pair of speakers. I bought them at Audio Associates, a now-defunct chain of audio stores in the Washington, D.C. area.

As a hi-fi rube, I had gotten sucked in by two things. The first was an ad campaign Bose had at that time featuring the slogan, "Bring Home a Legend" accompanied by a photograph of a smug-looking guy who looked like he was in the know and a pair of Bose 901 speakers. I thought bringing home a legend would be pretty cool. The other factor that made me vulnerable was Audio Associates' one-year trade-up policy. This clever bit of marketing allowed you to return any item you had purchased within one year for full credit towards any new item as long as it was 50% more expensive than the cost of the trade-in. So, back went the B&Os and home came the Bose 901 IIIs.

I am sure I auditioned them somewhat carefully in the store, but after I got them home, I was less than thrilled about owning this particular "legend". They actually lasted less time in my listening room than anything else I have ever purchased. Why?

I was listening to a lot of operas and orchestral music at the time and the spaciousness of the 901's sound was pretty seductive as I recall. However, I will never forget when I put on a song recital--Schubert Lieder with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, probably Die Schone Mullerin, with Gerald Moore accompanying. What? WHAT?? What was I hearing? There was Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's voice as big as the entire rear wall of my listening room. It sounded like he was inside this huge resonant barrel. I had never before heard anything so bloated and unrealistic in my life! Once I got it into my head that the aspect of the Bose's that made orchestral music so seductive and spacious--that spraying of sound all over the rear wall of the listening room--meant that EVERYTHING was going to be similarly sprayed. The speaker's sonic perspective completely overwhelmed the performer's. In the case of an intimate single voice, a solo instrumentalist or any other small-scale source fuggedaboudit. No, no, NO, this would NOT DO.

So back to Audio Associates I went with my "Legends" from Bose. I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, my first pair of monster-sized, hi-eff speakers, and never looked back.

That is the experience of one owner of Bose 901 speakers--their top of the line at the time.

Any others of you out there have another take on these speakers?

Enjoy your music,

George Roland

Akira
05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
As a hi-fi rube, I had gotten sucked in by two things. The first was an ad campaign Bose had at that time featuring the slogan, "Bring Home a Legend" accompanied by a photograph of a smug-looking guy who looked like he was in the know and a pair of Bose 901 speakers. I thought bringing home a legend would be pretty cool.
I see that Bose was good at marketing even way back then.
Great post George and welcome to Lansing Heritage.

hjames
05-17-2009, 02:36 PM

I bought them at Audio Associates, a now-defunct chain of audio stores in the Washington, D.C. area.

So back to Audio Associates

George Roland

Well, I bought my L-36s at Audio Assoc, and later got my Denon DP-45 from them ...
no Bose, tho I used to see them used as Sound reinforcement or some darned thing at
The Cellar Door, a nightclub in DC that used to get a lot of cool talent over the years
(Saw Brand X there, among other groups ...) ...

Ken Pachkowsky
05-17-2009, 02:51 PM

Wow, bet that was a good show? Was PC on the kit?
Ken

hjames
05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Wow, bet that was a good show? Was PC on the kit?
Ken

Nah, I don't think he did any US shows with the group -
I think he was more a studio influence
:D

Ken Pachkowsky
05-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Nah, I don't think he did any US shows with the group -
I think he was more a studio influence

Was it Chester Thompson then? Sorry...kind of off topic...the end

hjames
05-17-2009, 03:16 PM
I saw them around Morroccan Roll era - saw a Duo tour with Lumley and Goodsall for "Marscape" - I know Morris Pert was one drummer - would have recognized Bruford
hmmm the Wiki sez it was Kenwood Dennard

The rest of the band decided to carry on as an instrumental, jazz-fusion

By early 1977, it became clear that Collins would be unavailable for much of the year, and Brand X decided to recruit a replacement drummer (although Collins rejoined for strategic dates throughout the year). Their first choice, Joe Blocker, didn't work out (he joined Steve Hillage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hillage)'s band instead), and eventually American drummer Kenwood Dennard filled the slot, making his debut on the band's first US tour (a 32-date affair in May-June 1977) and appearing on part of the live album Livestock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock). Collins came back to the fold for a series of dates in September 1977 including two appearances on the same day in London (Crystal Palace garden party) and Paris (Fete de l’Humanite) - the first time ever a band played two open-air shows in different countries on the same day ! A second US tour followed late in the year, again with Dennard on drums.

George Roland
05-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, I bought my L-36s at Audio Assoc, and later got my Denon DP-45 from them ...
no Bose, tho I used to see them used as Sound reinforcement or some darned thing at
The Cellar Door, a nightclub in DC that used to get a lot of cool talent over the years

Your mentioning the Cellar Door really brings back memories. I went to High School in Fairfax County Virginia, Thomas A. Edison High to be exact. I went to the Cellar Door twice when I was in H.S. The first time was with a couple of friends. I don't remember the act we saw, but what really sticks out in my mind was the fact that we were underage and hoping to be served some booze without being carded, and it worked. My first illicit alcohol purchase! Heady stuff for a sixteen year old! The other time I went was for one of their open mike nights. I went with two or three friends from H.S. We fancied ourselves to be folksingers. The less said about our "performance" the better.

I hadn't thought about that for years.

George Roland

Rolf
05-18-2009, 02:45 AM
That would be Amar.

Sorry for the miss spelling.

JBLRaiser
05-18-2009, 05:01 AM

We know they didn't use Bose, and good chance there was some JBL in the room.:D

jcrobso
05-18-2009, 09:29 AM

Although I never heard them, they had a professional equivalent, the same size and basic design that employed eight 4" drivers all firing forward. They were excellent speakers for their intended application--crystal clear natural vocals. We used to use them for conferencing, and you could even playback music with acceptable results. A pair can easily cover 100 people in a meeting.

It was a long time ago now! It was an interesting effect using the corner to make the sound image bigger, a K horn used the corner much better.
As for the Bo$e 801 Pro speaker there is set of these at the station, crystal clear they are NOT! :barf:

Hoerninger
05-18-2009, 11:28 AM
It was a long time ago now!

Yes, when they were new I had a chance to listen to them in a studio, very common at that time :thmbsup: . At that time I liked them, but I did not have much comparisons.

It was an interesting effect using the corner to make the sound image bigger
The 901s have to be placed in front of a straight wall in a definite distance. The Bose equalizer is mandatory!
The direct/indirect sound distribution was revolutionary at that time and it sounded interesting.

Today I prefer speakers with higher efficiency ( Boses are low - especially for SR), some "augmentation with adequate speakers" and a direct sound with care of early reflections.

LowPhreak
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
...So back to Audio Associates I went with my "Legends" from Bose.

Great story, George. :)

scott fitlin
05-18-2009, 05:56 PM

Although I never heard them, they had a professional equivalent, the same size and basic design that employed eight 4" drivers all firing forward. They were excellent speakers for their intended application--crystal clear natural vocals. We used to use them for conferencing, and you could even playback music with acceptable results. A pair can easily cover 100 people in a meeting.I had a pair of Bose 901, still have them packed away in a warehouse, they are from 1977-78. They were originally purchased by my uncle, who tired of them in less than a year, and my dad bought them for me, and I never loved them. They could play loudly, and were pretty unbreakable, and I never broke them, but, having grown up with Altec, JBL and Gauss they never satisfied my craving for low end and highs, OR the realistic dynamics of GOOD compression drivers on a proper horn.

Another thing I always found I couldn't be happy with, was the fact that the 901,s are basically inefficient. And no matter how much power you had, YOU HAD TO CRANK THEM TO GET volume. Again, and even at 15 years old, having grown up in my families business, that had and still has a completely horn loaded high sensitivity system, the 901,s could never match the lifelike presentation of music, and wicked transient response of a properly set up high efficiency system. And again, even at 15, I understood that high efficiency systems were special. And that even with 1000 watts per speaker, the 901,s could never do what Altec and JBL basshorns and tweeters and horns can with a few watts.

OTOH, Bose was a name everyone else went crazy about, even back then, and my friends used to be ga-ga over my Bose 901,s with my McIntosh pre, and power amp.

In the early 1980,s dad got me a pair of JBL 4312,s and he got a pair of L-300,s, and the Bose got packed up and put away, and have NEVER been used since. I never even missed them!

I am also familiar with the pro variant of the 901 as they were used as booth monitors in the famous NYC nightclub, THE PARADISE GARAGE, and I didn't like them in that application, either.

Tom Brennan
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Well as your dynamic direct radiators go Bose isn't so bad. And that goofy line source band speaker they make actually does a pretty good job as a hi-fi speaker, really.

jcrobso
05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
I have listened to a number of Bo$e speaker systems over the years (not by my choice ether) several of the places have been churches. Bo$e has this marketing gimmick, Bo$e will install a speaker system for free and after 30 days if you don't like them Bo$e will take them out and you don't have to pay for them. Not many Churches will say take them out!
I do sound for Catholic Youth Evangelist when we go into a Church we never use the house system, they are never good enough. This really surprises the Churches that have just gotten one of those Bo$e systems. But after I setup our system and just blow the Bo$e system away they seem to understand that they were taken!:barf:

robertbartsch
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
I owned a pair of Altec VOTTs in the early 1970s and a friend had a pair of 901s that I listened to frequently.

I never liked the 901s.

To me, they sounded like 100 9V transistor radios playing a full volume.

I went to a Bose store last year and I was surprised that the 901s were still being sold. Anyway, the store had them set up improperly - against a wall. I asked if people use the 901s for 7 channel HT.

They said NO!

I do own a pair of Bose headphones that I won from American Airlines. - Total junk IMO.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-19-2009, 11:04 AM
Bo$e has this marketing gimmick, Bo$e will install a speaker system for free and after 30 days if you don't like them Bo$e will take them out and you don't have to pay for them. Not many Churches will say take them out!

Like I said.....good marketing....play the odds.

I can't begin to tell you how many of our friends have Bose systems installed in their homes.....and the price's they paid...my God, what a rip. The funny thing is how much they like them. It just proves that in this part of the world high fidelity is not high on most peoples list.

They still prefer the "heard but not seen" aspect of a Bose and other systems.

I think Widget could have some interesting comments re that fact. It appears some will spend fortunes on amps and proc's but heaven forbid if a speaker is more than a grill cover on a wall or in the ceiling.

Most of our friends think Julie is a Saint for letting these beasts into our(her) living room.

Perhaps this accounts for Harmans "lack of interest" in really chasing the higher end consumer market. Its purely a numbers game. In this hemisphere, we are the few, not the many.:(

PS: Westlake would have dissapeared years ago without the Asian markets.

Ken

dino
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
1st congrats to bose for 4.5 billion annual sales. bose is nothing more than gimmicks and cheap thrills!. But they had quite a few people bought into there bull shit scheme this is what real music should sound like from these very little speakers. bose is like a very cheap wine [wild Irish rose] it will get u drunk But U will pay for tomorrow! I turn 45 years old yesterday and I had own so many different brands of speakes until I boufht my first jbl in the early 80s the L112 , I never bought any other speaker but jbl from that point on. now I listen to other brands speaker just to see what they have to offer but I can honestlly say in 2009 jbl still hold there own with out tv commercials - bill borads and etc.

SEAWOLF97
05-19-2009, 12:17 PM
At my last job I had a manager for whom I always had trouble hiding my contempt. -Hi Tony !!!- :wave: (in case he's learned to read by now) ...he was a no talent , ass kisser.

He did anything to please his superiors -oops let me clarify that ..his bosses -..
(most everybody was superior to him)
Anyway, he scored points by throwing the office Xmas party at his house every year..in our last year, he felt insecure and decided to "do it right" ..remodeled his basement, bought a new refrigerator for the room and bought his super BOSE system.
Just days before the party his wife spotted a mouse running around the room ..OH NO !!! can't have his bosses seeing that, so he tried everything to catch it , except ...shooting it...bright idea !!:hmm: goes and gets his 22 rifle and corners the rodent behind the fridge and takes a shot. hits compressor instead. No more handy cold drinks.

THREAD TIE IN : so he also installs his super ($1,600) Bose system ..a cube in every corner , hanging from the ceiling.

I get to the party and the tunes are already blaring , but I notice that the HF is even worse than expected, so I ask Tony for a chair and get up to inspect the cubes ... yup , you guessed it ..they were backwards, aimed straight into the wall .. I turn them around towards the room and it does sound better ..other guests applaud..get dirty looks from Tony.

FOLLOWUP: A week later we (including Tony) are sitting around work at break discussing TV . told the story that I was watching a game show and the question put to the contestant was "what is the 24th letter of the alphabet" ??? the contestant starts counting a=1,b=2,c=3 etc and the audience starts laughing, the guy gets it and then goes Oh, OK ...z=26,y=25 etc...

Tony is listening and jumps up and loudly proclaims "TRICK QUESTION" !!!!! ...I dont understand and ask him why ??

reply .. " cause there are only 23 letters in the alphabet"

we sit there stunned ...and then break out laughing ...dirty looks from Tony (again).

Guess who was first to get laid off when the reductions came ??

LowPhreak
05-19-2009, 12:27 PM
:homer: :bash: :rotfl:

jcrobso
05-19-2009, 02:21 PM
At my last job I had a manager for whom I always had trouble hiding my contempt. -Hi Tony !!!- :wave: (in case he's learned to read by now) ...he was a no talent , ass kisser.

He did anything to please his superiors -oops let me clarify that ..his bosses -..(most everybody was superior to him)
Anyway, he scored points by throwing the office Xmas party at his house every year..in our last year, he felt insecure and decided to "do it right" ..remodeled his basement, bought a new refrigerator for the room and bought his super BOSE system.
Just days before the party his wife spotted a mouse running around the room ..OH NO !!! can't have his bosses seeing that, so he tried everything to catch it , except ...shooting it...bright idea !!:hmm: goes and gets his 22 rifle and corners the rodent behind the fridge and takes a shot. hits compressor instead. No more handy cold drinks.

THREAD TIE IN : so he also installs his super ($1,600) Bose system ..a cube in every corner , hanging from the ceiling.

I get to the party and the tunes are already blaring , but I notice that the HF is even worse than expected, so I ask Tony for a chair and get up to inspect them ... yup , you guessed it ..they were backwards, aimed straight into the wall .. I turn them around towards the room and it does sound better ..other guests applaud..get dirty looks from Tony.

FOLLOWUP: A week later we (including Tony) are sitting around work at break discussing TV . told the story that I was watching a game show and the question put to the contestant was "what is the 24th letter of the alphabet" ??? the contestant starts counting a=1,b=2,c=3 etc and the audience starts laughing, the guy gets it and then goes Oh, OK ...z=26,y=25 etc...

Tony is listening and jumps up and loudly proclaims "TRICK QUESTION" !!!!! ...I dont understand and ask him why ??

reply .. " cause there are only 23 letters in the alphabet"

we sit there stunned ...and then break out laughing ...dirty looks from Tony (again).

Guess who was first to get laid off when the reductions came ??

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud: Yes this ROL . John:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

SEAWOLF97
05-19-2009, 02:43 PM
>>Do you have any more stories like this one?

unfortunately, it was true. , but no more Bose experiences , except that i did have some Bose 101's for a week , they were just OK, but Bose is a magic name on CL and they disappeared quickly.

or

Tony stories ? Oh, too many of those....:blink:

Behind his back we always referred to him as the "FM"
no , cannot clarify- but your guess is prolly right (as in "Look at what some FM did")

he was the "Peter Principle" incarnate

scott fitlin
05-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Seawolf, me and a few guys just read the story, you made our day, ROTFLMFAO!

:applaud:

Akira
05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
The ACC (Air Canada Center) home of the Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs uses a Bose house system. This is a truely state of the art facility that has been featured on the Learning Channel. Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are one of the richest sports empires in the world.
Bose® Panaray® LT system http://pro.bose.com/ProController?url=/pro/products/panaray_lt/index.jsp
Bose provides the installation for the complete venue, every bar, hallway, practice facility, nook and cranny.
The system works fine and completely cuts the gig.

GM Place in Vancouver also uses a Bose system.

Allanvh5150
05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
The ACC (Air Canada Center) home of the Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs uses a Bose house system. This is a truely state of the art facility that has been featured on the Learning Channel. Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment are one of the richest sports empires in the world.
Bose® Panaray® LT system http://pro.bose.com/ProController?url=/pro/products/panaray_lt/index.jsp
Bose provides the installation for the complete venue, every bar, hallway, practice facility, nook and cranny.
The system works fine and completely cuts the gig.

GM Place in Vancouver also uses a Bose system.

Yup, I would have to agree. I have installed bose sytems and worked on many that were installed by muppets. I have never had an issue with them. A bit overpriced maybe but has everyone seen the prive of a D66000? Worth every cent I guess...... Everyone need to remember that to to "Audiophile" guys with there wooden blocks and porcelain insulators, JBL does not deserve to be in the same room with their systems. I have spoken to a lot of people with Bose systems and they all love them. Most people don't want a truckload of gear cluttering up their houses. To look at it with a differnet perspective: Are Bose better than JBL? Yes, just look at the sales figures. Are Toyota's better tha Ferrari's? Of course they are. Ferrari make 5000 cars a year, Toyota has to be better. People that drive Ferrari's dont care about Toyota's so why would top end JBL owners care about Bose? Small mans disease maybe?

Allan.

UreiCollector
05-19-2009, 06:48 PM
this reminds me of a story dad has told me a few times over the years.....

a friend of his was bragging about the "great sound" of his new bose system, and how small it was, etc etc.....dad suggested "bring it over and we'll compare them to the 604's". the friend happily agreed.

during the time in-between the friend fabricated a switch box so they could quickly A-B the two speakers.....

the day came, they set the bose on top of the Altec's.....the BOSE were up first.....

the friend was smiling and nodding to my father......dad then said "shall we throw the switch?"

and the friends jaw hit the floor.

after a few seconds, the friend said......"i sure wasted a lot of time building that A-B switch"

Allanvh5150
05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
And still people can't compare apples to apples. I am waiting for someone to compare a bose system to a vertec array! I guess you will need to convince a whole lot of peolpe that they purchased the wrong gear......

Allan.

LowPhreak
05-20-2009, 05:29 AM
That'll be the next thing: Bose making line arrays. :rolleyes: Or do they already?

Hoerninger
05-20-2009, 07:07 AM
That'll be the next thing: Bose making line arrays. :rolleyes: Or do they already?
Slimfast version :D of 901:
4 + 1 speakers.

jcrobso
05-20-2009, 10:05 AM
And still people can't compare apples to apples. I am waiting for someone to compare a bose system to a vertec array! I guess you will need to convince a whole lot of peolpe that they purchased the wrong gear......

Allan.

At the radio station we have a pair of Bo$e 801-II:barf:
The remote people needed another PA system, I bought 4 JBL SRX115(1-15" and 1 horn), they are the bottom end of the current JBL PA line. But they are still way, way better than the Bo$e. After the JBLs arrived I did Bo$e vs JBL shoot out in the station. Well JBL won BIG TIME:applaud::applaud::applaud:.
Even the lowly JRX115 can out perform Bo$e, just imagine what a Vertec could do!:D John

Uncle Paul
05-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Ain't it sad the the hottest thread on the LANSING HERITAGE forum is all about Bose :banghead:

jblsound
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Ain't it sad the the hottest thread on the LANSING HERITAGE forum is all about Bose :banghead:
Hottest thread? Not even close!

Ken Pachkowsky
05-20-2009, 02:10 PM

Point taken......now thats funny:applaud:

Ken

Tom Brennan
05-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Bose is coming out with a version of the 901's 5" driver with a field coil and mounted in an "open baffle" for the single-driver and SET fans.

Allanvh5150
05-20-2009, 11:10 PM

Indeed it is. Why Bose I wonder.....there are plenty of other speaker manufacturers out there....

Allan.

Harvey Gerst
05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Indeed it is. Why Bose I wonder.....there are plenty of other speaker manufacturers out there....

Allan.
I think it's because Bose is almost the antithesis of JBL; it's designed more for people who want background music.

Akira
05-21-2009, 08:39 AM
Gee, I'm almost sorry I started this thread...just wanted to compare sales figures as I was surprised that Bose is making that much money.

I think it's because Bose is almost the antithesis of JBL; it's designed more for people who want background music.
Absolutely true. I think we are just annoying ourselves. But, I did enjoy the 901 stories.

Yup time to retire this thread.

1audiohack
05-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Look on the bright side, if you were going to market eye glasses that removed the color from your vision, all you need is the Bose customer list and your market research is done!

jcrobso
05-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Look on the bright side, if you were going to market eye glasses that removed the color from your vision, all you need is the Bose customer list and your market research is done!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: John

DavidF
05-21-2009, 11:53 AM

Like my folks, Harvey. They loved their Bose table radio. I have to admit as a product it fit them perfectly. I suspect that there are millions like them. Odd thing about the table radio was how to market it in terms of value. Until you actually hear one it seems way overpriced to pay $300 or so for a dinky table radio.

Tom Brennan
05-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Until you actually hear one it seems way overpriced to pay $300 or so for a dinky table radio.

Unless it's a Tivoli which is Bose for "audiophiles".

Another company that's Bose for audiophiles is Magnepan. Rube Goldburg contraptions made of refrigerator magnets and fibreboard; single ended with attendant distortion and a shrill high frequency resonance that passes as detail. Can also be seen as a Klipsch Heresy for the "high end" crowd.

I'd much rather listen to Bose than a Maggie; I never heard a Bose that made my teeth ache. Hell, there are many so-called "audiophile" speakers that cost more and sound worse than Bose, I don't know why Bose is so often the one called on the carpet for giving poor value.

scott fitlin
05-21-2009, 01:47 PM
ROTFLMFAO! :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud::appl aud:

JBL 4645
05-21-2009, 02:08 PM
I read a report that says Bose has annual sales of 4.5 billion....wow.

I think someone at BOSE has been fiddling with those figures :D don’t you mean BOSE £431 pounds? JBL £4.5 billion!

I remember when the Bose 901's hit the scene in the mid 70's. They definately caused a buzz. A few guys I knew in Winnipeg bought them and flew them from the ceiling. I must admit they were impressive at the time. Were they high fidelity....no, but they sure could take high volume without blowing up.

Bose is a good example of marketing done well. Its a shame that Harman has not been able to recapture the consumer market to the degree JBL enjoyed in the 60's and 70's.

Ken

Maybe they’ve got no more pride in the company or its heritage.

JBL 4645
05-21-2009, 02:23 PM

I bought a pair of Bose 901 IIIs around 1974-76 or so, don't recall exactly. Prior to purchasing them, my only "stereos" had been a Sears plastic portable "record player" with little detachable speakers and, somewhat later, my first system consisting of a used Fisher tube integrated amp, a Garrard turntable and a pair of new B&O Beovox S60s, actually a quite nice little pair of speakers. I bought them at Audio Associates, a now-defunct chain of audio stores in the Washington, D.C. area.

As a hi-fi rube, I had gotten sucked in by two things. The first was an ad campaign Bose had at that time featuring the slogan, "Bring Home a Legend" accompanied by a photograph of a smug-looking guy who looked like he was in the know and a pair of Bose 901 speakers. I thought bringing home a legend would be pretty cool. The other factor that made me vulnerable was Audio Associates' one-year trade-up policy. This clever bit of marketing allowed you to return any item you had purchased within one year for full credit towards any new item as long as it was 50% more expensive than the cost of the trade-in. So, back went the B&Os and home came the Bose 901 IIIs.

I am sure I auditioned them somewhat carefully in the store, but after I got them home, I was less than thrilled about owning this particular "legend". They actually lasted less time in my listening room than anything else I have ever purchased. Why?

I was listening to a lot of operas and orchestral music at the time and the spaciousness of the 901's sound was pretty seductive as I recall. However, I will never forget when I put on a song recital--Schubert Lieder with Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau, probably Die Schone Mullerin, with Gerald Moore accompanying. What? WHAT?? What was I hearing? There was Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau's voice as big as the entire rear wall of my listening room. It sounded like he was inside this huge resonant barrel. I had never before heard anything so bloated and unrealistic in my life! Once I got it into my head that the aspect of the Bose's that made orchestral music so seductive and spacious--that spraying of sound all over the rear wall of the listening room--meant that EVERYTHING was going to be similarly sprayed. The speaker's sonic perspective completely overwhelmed the performer's. In the case of an intimate single voice, a solo instrumentalist or any other small-scale source fuggedaboudit. No, no, NO, this would NOT DO.

So back to Audio Associates I went with my "Legends" from Bose. I bought a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls, my first pair of monster-sized, hi-eff speakers, and never looked back.

That is the experience of one owner of Bose 901 speakers--their top of the line at the time.

Enjoy your music,

George Roland

Wow I mean BLOW ME BOSE!

I think JBL has few marketing aims as well since they where the first to put cinema speakers behind the screen. Blow me BOSE! Just kidding.

http://www.jbl.com/home/images/overview/ENG_SLS.jpg

I recall seeing what must be 900 series in Hi-Fi store, many moons ago, wasn’t at the least bit interested in them. However thou at the far end of the room was some nice looking JBL Ti towers, ouch the price burnt my eyes.

JBL 4645
05-21-2009, 02:36 PM
I have listened to a number of Bo$e speaker systems over the years (not by my choice ether) several of the places have been churches. Bo$e has this marketing gimmick, Bo$e will install a speaker system for free and after 30 days if you don't like them Bo$e will take them out and you don't have to pay for them. Not many Churches will say take them out!
I do sound for Catholic Youth Evangelist when we go into a Church we never use the house system, they are never good enough. This really surprises the Churches that have just gotten one of those Bo$e systems. But after I setup our system and just blow the Bo$e system away they seem to understand that they were taken!:barf:

Wow how religious. :rotfl::rolleyes:

JBL is Jesus Blessed Lord.:) The positive speaker of choice.

BOSE is SATAN!:biting: The anti-speaker.

Gee, I'm almost sorry I started this thread...just wanted to compare sales figures as I was surprised that Bose is making that much money.

Absolutely true. I think we are just annoying ourselves. But, I did enjoy the 901 stories.

Yup time to retire this thread.

Yeah and so, you should be. No food or water for you for two weeks.:D

Better still take some drainage cleaner and go and wash your mouth of all the impurities that is BOSE! :barf:

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 04:01 PM
I think people should buy whatever makes them happy.

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 04:01 PM

The only problem with that statement is that people don't really know how to be happy. :banghead:

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 04:02 PM
The only problem with that statement is that people don't really know how to be happy. :banghead:

Of course, we could show them how to be happy.

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Except would they really be happy, or only trying to make us happy?

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 04:05 PM

Either way, you can't save people from themselves. More power to Bose et al for finding a way to make themselves happy by capitalizing on the foibles and vagaries of human nature.

JBL 4645
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Either way, you can't save people from themselves. More power to Bose et al for finding a way to make themselves happy by capitalizing on the foibles and vagaries of human nature.

Are you feeling alright tonight Dome, are you sure? Do you want me to call for paramedics?:D

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I was reinforcing Akira's original post that Bose sells a lot of stuff, and I added that there's little point in worrying about it. :D

JBL 4645
05-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I was reinforcing Akira's original post that Bose sells a lot of stuff, and I added that there's little point in worrying about it. :D

Okay I’ll hold off on the call I was just about to dial overseas 911.:D

Maybe it’s Akira who needs immediate medical assistance.:D

Mr. Widget
05-21-2009, 07:03 PM
I found it quite interesting that Bose has sales as high as they do. I wonder if their pulling their distribution from most mom and pop stores and directing it to factory owned Bose stores was a significant part of that success? If the people running Harman were as smart as those at Bose... we'd be living in a very different world. But then, we've dragged that topic through the mud enough.

Widget

Titanium Dome
05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
we've dragged that topic through the mud enough.

Widget

:yes: Wisely written.

JBL 4645
05-28-2009, 07:14 AM
If the people running Harman were as smart as those at Bose... we'd be living in a very different world. But then, we've dragged that topic through the mud enough.

Widget

That kinder reminds of Back to the Future Part II.:D

JBL 4645
06-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Don’t Cry for me BOSE

It won't be easy, you'll think it strange
When I try to explain how I feel
that I still need your love after all that I've done

You won't believe me
All you will see is a JBL you once knew
Although she's dressed up to the nines
At sixes and sevens with you

I had to let it happen, I had to change to JBL
Couldn't stay all my life down at heel
Looking out of the window, staying out of the sun

So I chose JBL
Running around, trying everything new
But nothing impressed me at all
I never expected it to BOSE

Chorus:

Don't cry for me BOSE
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise to JBL
Don't keep your delay distance too long

And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited BOSE in
Though it seemed to the world they were all I desired

They are illusions
They are not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love JBL

Don't cry for me BOSE

(chorus)

Have I said too much?
There's nothing more I can think of to say to you.
But all you have to do is look at me to know
That every word is true

SEAWOLF97
06-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't understand why we (the LHF forum) are concerned about Bose sales ??

as a BMW , Toyota & Ford owner, I'm not really concerned with Hyundai sales....:o:

hjames
06-06-2009, 12:34 PM

as a BMW , Toyota & Ford owner, I'm not really concerned with Hyundai sales....:o:

Bravo Seawolf - I'm with you 100% on this - who CARES anything about Bose ...???

Tom Brennan
06-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Bravo Seawolf - I'm with you 100% on this - who CARES anything about Bose ...???

Ole 4645 really has "issues" with them. Makes me wonder.

Audiobeer
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
These is probably one of the lamest threads I have ever seen. Well there is one lamer that has a common denominater. :D

SEAWOLF97
06-07-2009, 09:20 AM
I was mulling why the Bose phenom bugs JBL guys so much , and then BANG !! ..the answer came..

Back about 15 years ago I worked at OHSU ..we had a "buy program" to wholesale PC's and Macs to the faculty and students. I had to man it an hour a week.....So one day an MD came in and says "I dont want to learn ANYTHING about computers , sell me a Mac" (no, dont use this as an excuse for a Mac vs PC rant) ....well, he wanted a turnkey system and his total knowledge was based on advirtising.

I sumise thats why Bose is despised ...it is a heavily advirtised turnkey system for the person who does NOT want any involvement with the hardware , only an end result , and that turns out to be sucessful for them.
(and WE assess the hardware to be mediocre)

rather a diametrical opposite of a fanatical JBL enthusiast.

BMWCCA
06-07-2009, 10:46 AM
I sumise thats why Bose is despised ...it is a heavily advirtised turnkey system for the person who does NOT want any involvement with the hardware , only an end result , and that turns out to be sucessful for them.That would be the audio equivalent to the automotive Saturn marque. ;) The Hyundai buyer knows they're buying on price alone. The Saturn buyer just doesn't enjoy driving and doesn't want to be involved in any aspect of it. IMHO, of course. ;)

Uhg. Wave Radio ad just came on the telly while I was typing. "Anything else just doesn't measure up."

hjames
06-07-2009, 10:47 AM

That would be the audio equivalent to the automotive Saturn marque. ;)
The Hyundai buyer knows they're buying on price alone. The Saturn buyer just doesn't enjoy driving
and doesn't want to be involved in any aspect of it. IMHO, of course. ;)

Yeah, and Roger Penske is buying Saturn - isn't THAT a hoot!

BMWCCA
06-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Yeah, and Roger Penske is buying Saturn - isn't THAT a hoot!It'll fit well with his rent-a-truck fleet.

Remember back in the '70s when Road & Track used to run headline-grabbing stories on their covers that were really a bit of a spoof? "Road Test: New Mercedes GT!" turned out to be an actual instrumented road test of a Mercedes Garbage Truck. That was back in the day when the also made the claim that the biggest difference between M-B engineer and BMW engineers was that M-B engineers wore suspenders and BMW engineers wore belts.

Not that Penske, the corporation, doesn't know good value. They do, after all, own over 300 auto dealerships in both the USA and Europe with nearly an equal split between the two. Penske is the largest retailer of Toyota cars and operates the world's largest car dealership, a Toyota store, which has sold more than 20,000 Toyotas in a recent year. According the Wikapedia the Toyota Lexus store in California sells a car every eight minutes. Penske's franchises include not only Saturn and Toyota but BMW, Hummer, Bugatti, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, and nearly any manufacturer of cars you can name.

hjames
06-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Sure - I suspect its an economies of scale thing, but I don't even keep up with such things and I know of at least 2 "mega-dealers" around DC that own probably 40-50 dealers each - I'm sure there are many more ...

Maybe someone else will buy other ailing brands ...

It'll fit well with his rent-a-truck fleet.

Remember back in the '70s when Road & Track used to run headline-grabbing stories on their covers that were really a bit of a spoof? "Road Test: New Mercedes GT!" turned out to be an actual instrumented road test of a Mercedes Garbage Truck. That was back in the day when the also made the claim that the biggest difference between M-B engineer and BMW engineers was that M-B engineers wore suspenders and BMW engineers wore belts.

Not that Penske, the corporation, doesn't know good value. They do, after all, own over 300 auto dealerships in both the USA and Europe with nearly an equal split between the two. Penske is the largest retailer of Toyota cars and operates the world's largest car dealership, a Toyota store, which has sold more than 20,000 Toyotas in a recent year. According the Wikapedia the Toyota Lexus store in California sells a car every eight minutes. Penske's franchises include not only Saturn and Toyota but BMW, Hummer, Bugatti, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, and nearly any manufacturer of cars you can name.

samiam
06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
I have 901 (#2) at home and also have some Acoustimass 5's in my shop. Now I don't rate the AM5's at all, they are just convenient in the shop.
The 901's have their limitations as well.
Anyway I had the AM5's at home the other day and thought why not try them with the 901's, off my pre-amp's second output.
Wow what an amazing transformation! The weaknesses of both are gone and the result is extraordinary.
Why didn't Bose think of that?
Beats my JBL's hands down, sorry.
Ahh I can feel the flames already!

BMWCCA
06-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Beats my JBL's hands down, sorry.No, it is we who should feel sorry for you.

So . . . Sorry! Now you can go back to your green eggs and ham. ;)

MikeBrewster77
06-07-2009, 04:44 PM

in my JBL HLS820's

I'd like to solve the puzzle, Pat... ;)

Allanvh5150
06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I have 901 (#2) at home and also have some Acoustimass 5's in my shop. Now I don't rate the AM5's at all, they are just convenient in the shop.
The 901's have their limitations as well.
Anyway I had the AM5's at home the other day and thought why not try them with the 901's, off my pre-amp's second output.
Wow what an amazing transformation! The weaknesses of both are gone and the result is extraordinary.
Why didn't Bose think of that?
Ahh I can feel the flames already!

Another Kiwi!!

I have used Bose over the years and have never had an issue with them. However, I am not a big fan on blanket statements. If you are close to Christchurch you could pop around and listen to my "vintage" JBL system. There isnt a Bose system on the planet that would touch it, of that I am sure. Most of the people here are into the top end JBL gear weather it be vintage or new. Most people never get to experience top end JBL and those who have are on this forum. But for a family situation where space is always at a premium, Bose is a very sensible way to go. Me, like most of the esteemed forumites here, are not really that sensible.:D

Allan.

samiam
06-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Just wait while i turn over, the other side needs toasting too!:applaud:

RIGGED
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Unless it's a Tivoli which is Bose for "audiophiles".

Another company that's Bose for audiophiles is Magnepan. Rube Goldburg contraptions made of refrigerator magnets and fibreboard; single ended with attendant distortion and a shrill high frequency resonance that passes as detail. Can also be seen as a Klipsch Heresy for the "high end" crowd.

I'd much rather listen to Bose than a Maggie; I never heard a Bose that made my teeth ache. Hell, there are many so-called "audiophile" speakers that cost more and sound worse than Bose, I don't know why Bose is so often the one called on the carpet for giving poor value.

I hear ya Tom. The funny thing is, it's even worse on the K forums, man they sure do gang slam Bose over there. The 301 doesn't sound all that bad, is that Heresy in here?lol

RIGGED

Audiobeer
06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I think we should start a whole thread on Bose speakers. We can call this the Bose-lansing-Heritage web site?

MikeBrewster77
06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
The 301 doesn't sound all that bad....
RIGGED

Really? I have a pair stashed [way, way, way] in the back of my closet - I'm not proud, but sh%t happens.

Hell, if you really like 'em, $50 plus shipping takes them, and they have VERY low hours on them ;)

RIGGED
06-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Really? I have a pair stashed [way, way, way] in the back of my closet - I'm not proud, but sh%t happens.

Hell, if you really like 'em, $50 plus shipping takes them, and they have VERY low hours on them ;)

A closet Bose fella eh? lol jk
Over the years, I've owned a couple of pairs of that model and while they didnt' sound all that bad, they still found a way out.

Thanks for the offer Mike but I just have too many(JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,Klipsch) speakers in my house. Any more and my autos won't be able to leave the house due to the force field de magnetico, but thanks anyway.

RIGGED

MikeBrewster77
06-16-2009, 05:00 PM
A closet Bose fella eh? lol jk

I just threw up a little in my mouth - thanks for that! :(

Over the years, I've owned a couple of pairs of that model and while they didnt' sound all that bad, they still found a way out.

Thanks for the offer Mike but I just have too many(JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,JBL,Klipsch) speakers in my house.

A couple, huh? You're a glutton for punishment, aren't you? :p

That's cool though. Some poor sucker .... errrrrr, discerning audiophile on eBay will be happy to pick them up, I'm sure. Honestly, they haven't been hooked up in at least 5 years. Why they're still in the house, I don't even know? :dont-know

Klipsch, huh? I think there's a conversation going on around here somewhere about them :cool:

Best,
- Mike

RIGGED
06-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I just threw up a little in my mouth - thanks for that! :(

A couple, huh? You're a glutton for punishment, aren't you? :p

That's cool though. Some poor sucker .... errrrrr, discerning audiophile on eBay will be happy to pick them up, I'm sure. Honestly, they haven't been hooked up in at least 5 years. Why they're still in the house, I don't even know? :dont-know

Klipsch, huh? I think there's a conversation going on around here somewhere about them :cool:

Best,
- Mike

Yea, sad to say it took me two times to realize, same thing happened with Heresy speaks. :banghead:

I remember when I sold the second pair, the dude had an alligator smile and said..."you just can't beat Bose" lmao!

Nah, to each their own I say.

The Cornwalls can sound a tad bit shrill, if pushed that is; as long as the dial doesn't pass 11'oclock, they sound nice.

Sadly, I always end up(if not totally sauced) rolling out either the Cabarets or the SRs to satisfy my SPL craving. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNW1VeeTUs

RIGGED

MikeBrewster77
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Nah, to each their own I say.
Totally agree with that in principle, but given my level of JBL brand loyalty ... well, y'know ;) But, I'm not ridiculous about it - I do actually own other brands of speakers (for better or worse, depending...)

The Cornwalls can sound a tad bit shrill, if pushed that is; as long as the dial doesn't pass 11'oclock, they sound nice.

11 o'clock can mean a lot of different things :p. Are we talking a 15W tube amp or a 300W solid state here?

Sadly, I always end up(if not totally sauced) rolling out either the Cabarets or the SRs to satisfy my SPL craving. :D

Totally sauced is not the right frame of mind for thinking speakers sound good - hell, I should know ... I once actually enjoyed Bose's :rotfl:

RIGGED
06-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Totally agree with that in principle, but given my level of JBL brand loyalty ... well, y'know ;) But, I'm not ridiculous about it - I do actually own other brands of speakers (for better or worse, depending...)

11 o'clock can mean a lot of different things :p. Are we talking a 15W tube amp or a 300W solid state here?

Totally sauced is not the right frame of mind for thinking speakers sound good - hell, I should know ... I once actually enjoyed Bose's :rotfl:

Aside from the bathrooms, JBL speakers occupy quite a bit of real estate in my house, gameroom/garage and patio included. The only pair of non JBL speakers I own are the Cornwalls by Klipsch. Hey wait, I also own a Cambridge Soundworks radio, deepest bass I've ever heard from a table topper.

Eleven O'clock on my solid state Onkyo 919 receiver.

To sauce or not to sauce....I know but it makes for a great excuse for rattlin windows. :applaud:

RIGGED

LowPhreak
06-17-2009, 05:38 AM
To sauce or not to sauce....I know but it makes for a great excuse for rattlin windows. :applaud:

+1 It's a good thing my basement windows are small. :D

Audiobeer
06-17-2009, 08:11 PM
How do Bose compare to JBL? :applaud: (Modified bump for lame thread)

hjames
06-18-2009, 02:40 AM
How do Bose compare to JBL? :applaud: (Modified bump for lame thread)
Still flogging your dolphins over this I see ...

sad sad - y'all should close this tedious thread and get a life!

Tom Brennan
06-18-2009, 05:34 AM
Just for you HJ.

jcrobso
06-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Still flogging your dolphins over this I see ...

sad sad - y'all should close this tedious thread and get a life!

During the commercial break at the station they just aired one of those annoying Bo$e adds.:barf:
The problems is that this is a Spanish format station and the whole commercial was in English, Duh! But if Bo$e wants to pay we will take their money.;)

Audiobeer
06-20-2009, 09:02 PM
I saw a commercial when overseas but it was in pig-latin. I couldn't understand what they were saying, but they had a pair of 901's dancing around a pair of L-300s. What do you think it meant?

(Bose Thread Bump) :applaud:

Steve Mac
06-21-2009, 07:26 PM
I dunno if the folks here have seen the article at this site but I thought it was a pretty unbiased look at BOSE and a fun read as well.
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html#number1

Mr. Widget
06-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Interesting link...

So Bose has gross sales which exceed Harman International, that is pretty amazing when you compare what they bring to the table.

4313B
06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
So Bose has gross sales which exceed Harman International, that is pretty amazing when you compare what they bring to the table..Not really considering all the infomercials they run...

BMWCCA
06-22-2009, 11:22 AM
So Bose has gross sales which exceed Harman International, that is pretty amazing when you compare what they bring to the table..Table! I get it! :rotfl:

It's probably not so hard to believe when you understand how much both rely on the OEM automotive business.

SEAWOLF97
06-22-2009, 02:44 PM
This thread reflects badly on the LH forum , makes the "Lansing High School" label seem appropriate.

whatever your thoughts on the subject,,seems time to CLOSE & DELETE

Audiobeer
06-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Actualy if the word gets out that Bose does a good job, say better than a control one.......well maybe we can get that to expand over to the other thread (the perfect small home theater). Hey lets keep an open mind here folks! I want to see a thread on the quality alternatives for aftermarket replacement for Bose OEM drivers. Is there any on Ebay at this time? :barf:

hjames
06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
This thread reflects badly on the LH forum , makes the "Lansing High School" label seem appropriate.

whatever your thoughts on the subject,,seems time to CLOSE & DELETE
Thank you, thank you - please - let it go, close and delete!

Its gotten WAY PETTY ...

4313B
06-22-2009, 03:43 PM
close and delete!My absolute all time favorite thing to do with Internet forums. :yes: :thmbsup:

Oh for the halcyon days when I could just delete the entire mess at will. :rotfl:

Mr. Widget
06-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you, thank you - please - let it go, close and delete!

Its gotten WAY PETTY ...I am not sure why I should be embarrassed, offended, or annoyed by this thread in particular or why it merits being closed or deleted.

I was told by a forum member that this was simply a , "I don't like BOSE< they are mean and have COOTIES" thread... sure there are elements of that, but we can find that on countless threads.

The fact that Bose is the single largest Audio company in the World is noteworthy... it is something that quite frankly hadn't dawned on me. Are we a Bose Fan Site, of course not... that is why this was posted in the General Audio Discussion area. Do we all wake every morning wondering how we can rip on Bose? No. I doubt any of us wake up with the thought of Bose at all... OK, you know at least one of you out there owns a Bose radio that is your alarm clock. ;)

But wanting to shut down a thread simply because they don't like the topic or like what some members have posted? Come on, to me that is just plain silly. I know 4313B would advocate deleting 98% of this discussion forum, but I disagree. I think there is merit to having open discussions.

I am glad that Akira started this thread. I am glad Steve Mac shared his link. I don't agree that this thread should be closed or deleted, but one of the Moderators seems to have agreed with Seawolf97 and hjames so it has been closed.

I get to post my thoughts here because as an Administrator of the Discussion Forum I can post in a closed thread. Don't get me wrong, I don't think this thread is as important as a newbie asking how to repair his speaker or as someone showing us their finished restoration or DIY project, but to damn it because a few people had fun at Bose's expense? That is just plain silly.

Widget