PDA

View Full Version : Sloppy refoam?

AmericanPie
05-09-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm looking at a pair of speakers that had a refoam; the job looks OK in the pics except there appears to be some excess glue that had oozed out from around the cone. Does this necessarily mean that the job was probably done by someone without too much experience, or does this sometimes happen even when performed by a pro? Are there any downsides to this other than purely cosmetic?

I've never attempted refoaming a woofer myself, but it does seem like it would be difficult to avoid some excess glue seepage unless you've performed the job enough times to judge exactly how much glue to use.

badman
05-09-2009, 06:45 PM
A little bit isn't a big deal, but if it looks sloppy, then it probably was done poorly. A little (1mm) showing around the edge is pretty normal, even for pros. If it looks good, it's just that enough glue was used so as to ensure a good bond.

And, unless it's REALLY bad (or, more importantly, there isn't glue where there should be), it won't cause any audible problems.

AmericanPie
05-12-2009, 04:34 PM
How about these, for example? Seller says these were refoamed by the PO. Would this be considered a "sloppy" job or is it acceptable? Just trying to get a feel for what to look for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220411306956

4313B
05-12-2009, 05:08 PM
Just trying to get a feel for what to look for.They should look all brand new again.

Well, that's how we roll anyway...

MikeBrewster77
05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Would this be considered a "sloppy" job :yes:

or is it acceptable? :no: :scold:

- Mike

JeffW
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
There are pics from 2 different re-coners in This Thread (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23717). If yours look any different, then they aren't right. If mine were any different, I'd be mad as hell.

KT88Lover
05-12-2009, 05:57 PM
How about these, for example? Seller says these were refoamed by the PO. Would this be considered a "sloppy" job or is it acceptable? Just trying to get a feel for what to look for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220411306956

Love all the on angle shots. Not one head on. Maybe so you won't notice the trim ring that appears to be missing in action? Sure looks like paint or something there now?

Jim

AmericanPie
05-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Got it. Moral of story: Better to buy speakers needing a refoam and have it done somewhere professionally :bouncy:, than to buy speakers with new foam done poorly :barf:.

AmericanPie
05-13-2009, 02:19 PM
One more question on this subject. Once a woofer has been refoamed with excess glue oozing out all over it like in the pic of the L15s, is the speaker itself basically ruined or can the job redone correctly and the excess glue be removed to make it look "like new" again?

grumpy
05-13-2009, 02:27 PM
It's -possible-, perhaps even likely in this case (assuming no other damage). One
would have to be careful to not pull of bits of Aquaplas (white coating), but in this particular
case it -appears- doable... one opinion... having re-refoamed a few.