PDA

View Full Version : 4350 Heaven Downunder

Audionutz
05-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Hello to all from Australia.
I have been a lurker here for some time and have always read with envy the posts concerning the JBL 4350. The opinions seemed almost universally positive from those lucky enough to own them. Imagine my surprise when I read of a pair for sale locally here in Australia, listed right here on the Lansing forum!
Having lusted after them for so long, I was sure that this was a scam, a mistake in model number or something similar … Well, nothing could be further from the truth. The seller, Lindsay, turned out to be one of the most pleasant and honest individuals I have come across in 30 years in this hobby. Not only was his description accurate to the ‘nth degree, but he did everything possible to make this a painless purchase. While others had looked at the speakers, none had made a firm decision, which was my good fortune. Based on the information from the actual owner, Matt, along with Lindsay’s obvious honesty and integrity, I was able to get a good "read" on both their characters. I had no hesitation in placing a deposit immediately without feeling the need for inspection, or negotiation for that matter. Some 2 weeks later, cash in hand I made the journey about 2 hours South of where I live in Sydney to collect the system and see what I had let myself in for.
Having made many, many audio purchases over the years, I have found that my expectations are almost always higher than the reality when I come to view the item. Not so this time. These speakers are genuine one owner, with all books, manuals, brochures, warranty cards, grill care cards etc. Their physical condition is stunning, to say the least and they have obviously been cherished by their previous owner. Included in the sale was a matching, custom-made cabinet (with its own JBL Logo!). Housed in this are the JBL 5234a Crossover, the Crown IC-50 Preamplifier and a pair of Crown D-150 Power Amps. Also included was a Thorens "Phantasie" Turntable – again as immaculate as the other items.
Getting these monsters home unmarked and then installing them was a mission in itself. These are seriously heavy and awkward units to shift.
However, I had them up and running without issue within a few hours of them arriving. As for the sound…well, I have heard many high-end speakers and the 4350’s are up there with the absolute best in my opinion. One of the Crown D150’s was soon decommissioned, leaving one on bass duty exclusively. The mids and highs are now taken care of with a pair of Marantz MA-24 Monoblocks running 30 wpc pure Class A. This has cleaned up the top end considerably, allowing listening at higher volumes without fatigue setting in along with a the usual purity of tone I have come to expect with good Class A designs.
I also installed my favorite preamplifier in place of the old Crown IC-150. I use the Lightspeed Attenuator almost exclusively in most of my systems and have done for about 4 years. Those interested in this unit would be well advised to research it further over at DIYaudio. I have found very few things to touch it and+ certainly none at its price point of about $500.
The sound is now very much to my liking, although I’m sure there’s further to go. Best description I can come up with is the sound now has physical "weight" to it and just flows throughout the house. When I go to a live show, I now feel I can almost replicate it when I get home. My wife commented that it sounded like "Warm Rum"! She has great ears and has always commented that most of my other speakers have sounded excellent whilst in the "sweet spot", but less so from other parts of the house. Bass is simply astounding, but does not seem to energize the room as much as some other floorstanders I have had. Maybe due to the increased weight and footprint? I have them situated approx. 3m apart and sit about 3.5m from them. Room size is approx. 6.6m x 4.4m with ceiling at 2.8m. Probably way too small for these, but they’re not going anywhere.
Anyway, I could wax lyrical for many more pages here. Being my first lengthy post, I guess my enthusiasm has gotten the better of me. Suffice to say I feel very fortunate to have become the custodian of Serial Numbers 10137 and 10128. Although they have only been here for a brief time, they are very much part of the family and will be treasured.
I look forward to discussions on these with those far more knowledgeable than I !
Thanks again to Lindsay, Matt, Bavin, George and Paul, without whom none of this would have been possible.
Scott

Woofer
05-07-2009, 02:51 AM
A very nice 'entry level' system you have there now, but you'll soon outgrow it. :o:
Enjoy the 4350's while you can....
Eventually you'll be looking for something bigger, and no doubt these speakers will be relegated to surround speakers in the end. :blink:

You mentioned your "wife has great ears". Can we have pics of those ears please? :D
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that, I like ears. :p

Seriously tho', welcome to the club.

:bouncy:

Audionutz
05-07-2009, 03:06 AM
A very nice 'entry level' system you have there now, but you'll soon outgrow it. :o:
Enjoy the 4350's while you can....
Eventually you'll be looking for something bigger, and no doubt these speakers will be relegated to surround speakers in the end. :blink:

You mentioned your "wife has great ears". Can we have pics of those ears please? :D
It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that, I like ears. :p

Seriously tho', welcome to the club.

:bouncy:

Why thanks Woofer - as usual your verbosity is only exceeded by your dashing good looks and exceptional choice in friends :D

I guess I'll just have to make do with these 'ol things until something better comes along ... I can always dream of an upgrade to Bose I 'spose? ;)

david yost
05-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Did these not come with the mid-horn lenses? Or, do you prefer not to use them?

Audionutz
05-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Did these not come with the mid-horn lenses? Or, do you prefer not to use them?

Yes, they came with the lenses, but Im still experimenting with the differences using them. I'll wait until I change the input impedance on the Marantz's to match the bass level before I decide whether to use them or not. They do seem to smooth out the mids on some tracks, but muffle it too much on others ? For example, Ricky Lee Jones sounds better with them on, but Norah Jones doesn't ....

Akira
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
This is exactly the type of experience we here at LH want to hear.
Another great legacy system to be appreciated and preserved.
:)

Andyoz
05-07-2009, 03:07 PM
For example, Ricky Lee Jones sounds better with them on, but Norah Jones doesn't ....

Sorry, but nothing would make Norah sound great. Only kidding...enjoy mate. There must be only a couple of operational 4350's in Aust - not many made it out there in the first place I would think.

Audionutz
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Sorry, but nothing would make Norah sound great. Only kidding...enjoy mate. There must be only a couple of operational 4350's in Aust - not many made it out there in the first place I would think.

I hear ya Andy ! I have only heard of one other pair here and that was many years ago. I'm sure they're around, but they sure keep a low profile. If any other Oz members here have a pair, I'd love to hear from you ?

Audionutz
05-07-2009, 03:21 PM
This is exactly the type of experience we here at LH want to hear.
Another great legacy system to be appreciated and preserved.
:)

Thanks for the kind words - my thoughts exactly :applaud:

John
05-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Do you mind posting the cabinet serial # on the foilcals ?

Those are first year early production by the way.:applaud:

Your going to have a lot of fun, but you already knew that:bouncy:

Audionutz
05-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Do you mind posting the cabinet serial # on the foilcals ?

Those are first year early production by the way.:applaud:

Your going to have a lot of fun, but you already knew that:bouncy:

Thanks John, serial #'s are 10137 and 10128 but will check for serial numbers in other places shortly.

Considering their condtion, I am even more amazed to find they are first year models. I did know about the registry here, but have just been so darn busy enjoying them that have not gotten around to it yet !

Fun is a definite understatement ... :D

Woofer
05-08-2009, 04:29 AM
There must be only a couple of operational 4350's in Aust - not many made it out there in the first place I would think.

I've come across only 4 pairs here in Australia in the last (almost) 30 years.
2 black ones, and 2 blue ones.
There's a pair of blue ones in Adelaide, a pair of black ones here in Melbourne, and there used to be another pair of blue ones here in Mel., but I think they're in Sydney now.
So counting the subject of this thread, that makes it 4 pairs.
That's not many...

So for those lucky enough to own them, hang on to them no matter what.
They're irreplaceable.

(...oh, before I forget, to my good friend Scott, who shall remain nameless, that applies to you!!!)

Cheers all. :D

Ian Mackenzie
05-08-2009, 11:29 PM
I think there are a number of 4350s here and most are in possession of studios and clubs or people who have better things to do than talk about them here.

I recall Channel 9 had them in master control for the Don Lane Show.

Both Instrol and Encel (Melbourne) stocked them in the mid-late 70s and they were on the floor for demo. They were a regular event at the Audio Show at that time.

Audionutz
05-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I think there are a number of 4350s here and most are in possession of studios and clubs or people who have better things to do than talk about them here.

I recall Channel 9 had them in master control for the Don Lane Show.

Both Instrol and Encel (Melbourne) stocked them in the mid-late 70s and they were on the floor for demo. They were a regular event at the Audio Show at that time.

Meaning what ? That we are wasting time talking about them here ? I'm sure there are plenty around, but I imagine many of them would have been well used by now and not many one owner in private hands. Then again what would I know anyway ......:blink:

Doc Mark
05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi, Scott,

I can well understand your excitement and enthusiasm, and am very, very happy for you, Sir! When I found my L300's, after having lusted for them for more than 40 years, it was like heaven on earth, as far as I was concerned!! And, like you, my own wife loves them, too, which is a real blessing!! I'm really tickled that all this worked out for you, Mate, and that you've scored such a fine and wonderful set of JBL's!! Add to that the fact that you got to meet some good folks, and that your entire experience, from beginning to end, was happy, satisfying, and enjoyable, I'd say, "Good on Ya', Mate"!! And, well done!!! Have fun with your treasures, and thanks so much for sharing them with us! I don't think the Bose upgrade will be necessary, however, and that you can limp along with your new JBL's, "making do" with them, for the rest of your life!! ;);):D:bouncy: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who's very happy for your good fortune!)

Andyoz
05-10-2009, 12:45 PM

I remember Encel but am too young to remember them in the 70's Ian you old bugger :p.

The one thing I do remember is a pair of DD5500 Everests in the window of Intersound in Melb. during the mid eighties....

Audionutz
05-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi, Scott,

I can well understand your excitement and enthusiasm, and am very, very happy for you, Sir! When I found my L300's, after having lusted for them for more than 40 years, it was like heaven on earth, as far as I was concerned!! And, like you, my own wife loves them, too, which is a real blessing!! I'm really tickled that all this worked out for you, Mate, and that you've scored such a fine and wonderful set of JBL's!! Add to that the fact that you got to meet some good folks, and that your entire experience, from beginning to end, was happy, satisfying, and enjoyable, I'd say, "Good on Ya', Mate"!! And, well done!!! Have fun with your treasures, and thanks so much for sharing them with us! I don't think the Bose upgrade will be necessary, however, and that you can limp along with your new JBL's, "making do" with them, for the rest of your life!! ;);):D:bouncy: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who's very happy for your good fortune!)

Thanks Doc !

Your kind words are much appreciated and I am indeed enjoying both the experience of the JBL's, along with the new friends I made during their discovery. I can see why owners become emotionally attached to them now .... there's just "something" about them :bouncy:

Woofer
05-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm just wondering, of those here that are fortunate enough to own some, what is the most favoured position?
On the floor, off the floor (on stands of sorts), or high up suspended from the ceiling?
Also, now about those Lenses, On or Off?

Cheers all.... :)

Doc Mark
05-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Greetings,

I've told this story here before, but in this thread, it bears repeating. In the old days, I friend of mine cobbled together his own 4350's, and used them in his home-built recording studio. He made his mixers, amps, and just about everything else, except microphones! His 4350' were very nice, indeed, and he loved them so much that he built permanent brick bases for them, which raised them off the floor about four feet. They looked absolutely wonderful, and he decided to leave the grills off of them, so that he could enjoy looking at them as he mixed down his recordings.

One day, when he was out, his five year old son, remembering that Dad was a drummer, and that Dad let him bang away on the studio drum set, decided that the four 15" woofers in those 4350's must be drums of some sort, took a pair of drum sticks in hand, and beat the cones out of all four woofers!!! :blink::blink::(:(:banghead::banghead:

When my friend came home, and saw what his little guy had done, he was crushed! Telling his wife, "Just take him and get out of here for a while", he sat and mourned his lost JBL's, and tried to figure out how to afford new cones in the 15's!! I bought my 2420's from him, soon after that, as he winnowed through the stuff that he wasn't using, to try and raise cash for repairing his poor woofers! I really felt sorry for him, and he was very, very depressed about it, as would anyone who not only loved their JBL's, but had also put so much of himself into creating them!!

Thought you might "enjoy" that story, and it is 100% true, too! Take care of those JBL's, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Woofer
05-10-2009, 06:15 PM
When my friend came home, and saw what his little guy had done, he was crushed!

Yeh, I would've crushed the little fella too..... :blink:

Audionutz
05-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Good story indeed Doc and raises a question I often get asked. With two children aged 5 and 3, I frequently get the question "but what about the stereo with the kids ?". They have always had music around and have been alowed to participate in listening sessions from a very early age. Speakers have ranged from delicate book shelves, all the way up to massive floorstanders. Plus all the associated elctronics within easy reach of small fingers (but never any valves or high voltage obviously). Never once have they expressed any desire or shown any indication in poking, scratching or interfering with any of it. It's not the result of frequent beatings either :D, rather explanation of the fact that these things are delicate and dont touch. In fact our son Jack age 5 frequently gets up early on his own to watch TV or play and has never once got into any mischief with the audio gear. I guess Im very fortunate in that regard, but I thinks it's as much about involving them in the whole experience as anything else.

Touch wood, I hope that attitude continues with both of them .....;)

Ian Mackenzie
05-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Meaning what ? That we are wasting time talking about them here ? I'm sure there are plenty around, but I imagine many of them would have been well used by now and not many one owner in private hands. Then again what would I know anyway ......:blink:

What I meant was a head count is a head count of only what you are aware of and many JBL users still are not aware of these forums even in Oz. A lot aren't really interested.

In my own experience a lot of JBL Pro Series Monitors went into Broadcast and when they got tired of it the techs were given first option.

But the smaller 43Xwere and still are in use because they hated the 4430s.

The thing was the 4350 was an early system and if any moved it was in the early to mid 70's. Clubs like Silvers and The Love Machine had the larger JBL's. Originally David Gronow at Zepher Products was the JBL Pro Agent for Victoria as that is where we bought 2231A's in the mid 70's. They also imported Pereaux from the beginning.

Those guys are now retired and most likely not internet savy. Therefore its is difficult to gauge the population of a particular model.

Incidentally the largest population of end use JBL consumers do not post or visit here (Japanese).

Audionutz
05-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Apologies Ian - Thought you were having a "dig" at my new babies ....:o:

In fact there seems to be a degree of "snobishness", for want of a better word, in regard to the bigger JBL's. I have noticed this with so called Audiophiles that I have mentioned the 4350's to. Consensus among them seems to be that the only thing JBL's are good for nowadays is small studio monitors and ultra hi-end models. Usual comment is "why have you gone to old speakers ?"

Considering my past few floorstanders consisted of Yamaha NS2000, Usher AC-20, Duntech Marquis etc, I guess my choice seems strange to them.

However, a brief glance through a site such as HIFi-do quickly changes those perceptions !!

The Japanese obviously prize them highly. Considering the choice they have, and have had in years gone by, I take that as high praise indeed ....

I also suspect as you say, that many JBL's owners are not the type to either share their enjoyment online, or even be aware of forums like these. Their sad loss imho.

caladois
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice set up !!

Take care of the Marantz amps on the cabinets

Audionutz
05-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Nice set up !!

Take care of the Marantz amps on the cabinets

Thanks Stephane !

The good thing is the speakers and console came with heavy glass tops cut to size. Otherwise I would NEVER have anything stting on top of them ....;)