PDA

View Full Version : Is it good idea to stock up on suround kits?

jbl
05-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Anyone stock up on surrounds for their drivers?
I'm thinking of ordering some kits from Rick Cobb for my JBL 2235H for future use. My concern is that the foam will 'rot' in the package at the same rate as on the driver.
Is there a 'shelf life' on the surrounds?

robertbartsch
05-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I suppose that since the surround kits are not made by JBL that you will not need to worry about supply issues from JBL/Harmon in the future... so why would you want to hord a stock pile?

grumpy
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
If one were to do this, I would -suggest- separating them with plain tissue paper
(acid-free if you want to go crazy), putting them in a large zip-lock bag, inside
a box, and keeping the lot in a dry, dark, cool location. A not-particularly-rigorous
multi-year test gave the empirical results that were proof enough for me.

(hint: dry, dark, and cool are helpful, but not sufficient conditions by themselves... the control piece still deteriorated).

Maybe ask Rick Cobb how he stores his inventory (presuming it's not all JIT ordering).

evans224
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
The "new" surrounds are supposed to last, what, 20 years? 30? I'll let my kids worry about it....my hearing will be shot.

jbl
05-08-2009, 10:07 AM
I suppose that since the surround kits are not made by JBL that you will not need to worry about supply issues from JBL/Harmon in the future... so why would you want to hord a stock pile?
Not a stock pile, just a spare. Better to have one when (if ) needed.