PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha PC2602M power amp

pangea
06-02-2004, 02:07 AM
Hi!

Does anyone by any chance know anything about the Yamaha PC2602M power amp. I'm offered one being seven years old, for what seems to be a very good price at around 500$.

Should I buy it or leave it alone.

Please help me.

BR
Roland

jblnut
06-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I've got the "small" PC2002M and love it. I think the 2602M is the one with two power cords, weighing about 180lbs and putting out 500wpc into 8 ohms ? I've seen a few 2602's on ebay but they never meet their owner's reserves.

The price is fair if the amp is in good shape. They're built like tanks and will probably last forever. They're used in a lot of studios as well as concert halls.

I don't think you'll regret it....

jblnut

pangea
06-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by jblnut
I've got the "small" PC2002M and love it. I think the 2602M is the one with two power cords, weighing about 180lbs and putting out 500wpc into 8 ohms ? I've seen a few 2602's on ebay but they never meet their owner's reserves.

The price is fair if the amp is in good shape. They're built like tanks and will probably last forever. They're used in a lot of studios as well as concert halls.

I don't think you'll regret it....

jblnut

Hi jblnut!

The amp weighs 57 lbs, has one power cord and puts out 260W + 260W at 8 Ohm.

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/amp/PC2602E.pdf

It has been seated in a Theater in Stocholm for seven years and is said to be in excelent condition.

So, you still think I should go for it?

BR
Roland

jblnut
06-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Oh...I think I had it confused with an earlier version (higher up) of my PC2002M. The one you have is fan-cooled with LED meters vertically on the front, right ? I bought one of those on ebay for a friend's home theater setup. He still uses it to power his mains.
I had it at my house for a few weeks and couldn't really hear any difference between it and my older 2002M.

Now that I know which one it is, the price is a little high. I paid $250 US for the one I bought.

Still a great amp though...

jblnut

pangea
06-02-2004, 02:20 PM
Oh...I think I had it confused with an earlier version (higher up) of my PC2002M. The one you have is fan-cooled with LED meters vertically on the front, right ? I bought one of those on ebay for a friend's home theater setup. He still uses it to power his mains.
I had it at my house for a few weeks and couldn't really hear any difference between it and my older 2002M.

Now that I know which one it is, the price is a little high. I paid $250 US for the one I bought.

Still a great amp though...

jblnut

Do you know if this one is built like a tank as well?
Do you know if it's got toroid transformers?
What does it compare to, sonically?

BR
Roland

jblnut
06-02-2004, 05:14 PM
Although lighter than the previous amps, this amp is still built to last. They took some of the metal out in terms of the huge heat sinks of the 2002M and instead used a fan to move more air through the case. I don't think the transformer is torroidal but it's huge - about the size of a loaf of bread the the two main output caps are the size of beer cans. It's a very rugged amp that's overbuilt just like a lot of good pro gear is.

Sonically, the are very neutral, accurate and revealing. The bass is very powerful and the highs crystal clear. The amp really has no "sound" of its own, which is what I think they intended for its purpose (studio and stage). I've had my 2002M for many years and have really grown to like its neutral character. It has seemlingly limitless reserves of power and never gets terribly hot even when driven hard. I'm not sure what I would compare it to since I've not had the chance to compare it to much other than some Carver amps and some older tube gear.

They show up on US ebay several times a year when a studio or concert hall gets newer gear. As I said you could probably snag one for $250-300 if you are patient.

Good luck - don't hesitate if you can get one for a good price. They were well over $1000 new and built to last...

jblnut

pangea
06-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Although lighter than the previous amps, this amp is still built to last. They took some of the metal out in terms of the huge heat sinks of the 2002M and instead used a fan to move more air through the case. I don't think the transformer is torroidal but it's huge - about the size of a loaf of bread the the two main output caps are the size of beer cans. It's a very rugged amp that's overbuilt just like a lot of good pro gear is.

Sonically, the are very neutral, accurate and revealing. The bass is very powerful and the highs crystal clear. The amp really has no "sound" of its own, which is what I think they intended for its purpose (studio and stage). I've had my 2002M for many years and have really grown to like its neutral character. It has seemlingly limitless reserves of power and never gets terribly hot even when driven hard. I'm not sure what I would compare it to since I've not had the chance to compare it to much other than some Carver amps and some older tube gear.

They show up on US ebay several times a year when a studio or concert hall gets newer gear. As I said you could probably snag one for $250-300 if you are patient.

Good luck - don't hesitate if you can get one for a good price. They were well over $1000 new and built to last...

jblnut

So it seems the 260W + 260W 8 Ohm, is on the very very conservative side and would you say that chances are good that the fan could stay silent when playing at normal listening levels?

It also seems, swedish customers have been taken for a ride, since the price new, (I've read somewhere) was about 2000$ here in Sweden. :mad:

BR
Roland

jblnut
06-03-2004, 06:38 AM
I was not able to get the fan to come on during any of my listning sessions and I don't think it comes on much when my friend is using it. The only time it would come on would be during extended high-volume use and you'd never hear the fan over the music :-). The power ratings are probably on the conservative side, but it's a 260w amp, not a 500w amp. If you require more power, then you might want to buy a larger amp.

The older amp I was thinking of is the PC4002M. That's the 500w/c beast with two power cords that weighs 200lbs. I keep an eye out of them on ebay but they are very rare.

jblnut

pangea
06-03-2004, 01:25 PM
I was not able to get the fan to come on during any of my listning sessions and I don't think it comes on much when my friend is using it. The only time it would come on would be during extended high-volume use and you'd never hear the fan over the music :-). The power ratings are probably on the conservative side, but it's a 260w amp, not a 500w amp. If you require more power, then you might want to buy a larger amp.

The older amp I was thinking of is the PC4002M. That's the 500w/c beast with two power cords that weighs 200lbs. I keep an eye out of them on ebay but they are very rare.

jblnut

I really don't think my nabors would appreciate the PC4002 the way I would, so I think I'll have to settle with the PC2602M for the mid-bass (JBL 2225H's, from 60Hz - 350Hz). :D

BR
Roland

boudewijn
05-29-2007, 02:32 PM
I come from Holland im sorry if i use the wrong words my english is not
verry well;)
sinds the last weekend i have two YAMAHA PC2602M's in the bridge mode
conected to my JBL XPL200's i was suprised about the sound of these
amp's in the brige mode, the sound is much warmer en more bass response
then one of this amp in the stereo mode.
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/3055/dscf0800nz8.jpg
i come from Holland were everything is small but i have a real bic american
stereo equipment;)

pangea
05-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Interesting... that was my impression too, when I was using them in bridged mode.
This made me think that one can never get enough headroom and it became quite clear that transients really need at least 100 times the average power to present the music realistically.

BTW, don't worry about your english, just write it as it comes to you. On this great forum every one is welcome from all corners around the world, regardless their english. All that matters, is that we love JBL!!!

Best Regards
Roland

boudewijn
05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Thank you for your reaction
when i can find a good active crossover i go bi amping
i use than the 2 pcm2602m's for the low section en the Yamaha M-80 for
the mid-high section of the xpl200's

Best Regards
Boudewijn