PDA

View Full Version : Did i pay to much?????

tube_glow_audio
05-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I replied to an ad on the KIJIJI website for a pair of altec 604-8g speakers for $750.00. I emailed the person right away and he replied back with his phone number. I called several times before returning my call. So i my friend and i went to his million dollar home and my friend and i were truly amazed. The guy said he was a D.J. in Detroit (hope i spelt that right?) anyways he told me that his sound engineer ordered the 604-8g drivers and he was the original owner and then he bought the cabinets tell me there original altec cabinets (i am not sure of that?) but anyways i agreed to pay the amount he wanted for the $750.00 because they were so mint! So i paid the cash got a receipt but could not take them since they would not fit on my car. I told him i would be back the next day with a van. So the next day i got a call from him and he told me he had a change of heart and now wanted to keep them. I was so pissed off!!!!!!:banghead: he told me to come pick up my money back. Well i drove up they thinking how can someone do this to someone else?? Well i arrived to pick up my doe and now he said he was so sorry and he felt badly ect!ect! and then he told me to sit down for a minute as he tried to explain to me that he had them so long and now having seller remorse and it wasn`t about the money ect!! Well by this time i just wanted my money back and leave but something in me said maybe i should offer alittle more money? so i offered him $300 more (not sure if i over paid?) So now i have $1050.00 in them. i got them home and i must say they sound better then anything i ever owned or have listened to in my life. I just want someone to tell me i did not over pay so i can get that bad taste out of my mouth for paying $300 more then we agreed to in the first place. Lastly if anyone says it`s not the money trust me that means it is all about the money.

farleybob
05-03-2009, 08:35 AM
That's still a pretty reasonable deal. Enjoy!

3dbdown
05-03-2009, 09:59 AM
Value is all relative.

BMWCCA
05-03-2009, 11:00 AM
The difference is chump change, if not now, in the future! :)

The lesson learned? Invaluable. ;)

Always show up with cash and a vehicle big enough to beat a hasty retreat with your quarry!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36999&d=1233707737

UreiCollector
05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
a set of 604-8g's in 820 cabs in mint condtion......for $1000.....good score in my opinion! rest assured, you have a great set of speakers on your hands....i grew up listening to these same speakers....great memories!

John
05-03-2009, 11:16 PM
I am not sure why all you guys are willing to roll over on this, the guy had a bill of sale paid in full. Why would anyone want to pay a penny more. You had the law on your side.:banghead:

hjames
05-04-2009, 02:46 AM
He pulled a dirty trick on you, and you learned the lesson of a lifetime!
Pay cash and take it away at the moment of purchase.

That said, you've already gone through all of that, nothing now will change what you did - accept it, and move on -

Plus - if you really like the sound - just enjoy them.

tube_glow_audio
05-04-2009, 06:35 AM
I am repling to the person that said i had the law on my side. I called the police and told them the whole story even thoe i had a reciept saying paid in full they told me that if a person changes there mind about selling and is willing to give you your money back in full they have the right to do so. I did not realize this and maybe some people here can learn something. Yes i do not think it was right once you make a deal with someone you should keep your word.I am sure we all sold something that we wish we didn`t or didn`t have to at the time? anyways i love the speakers and thanks for everyones input. I believe these sound better then anything i ever owned. I also love my A7`S also. always looking to buy old altecs.

BMWCCA
05-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Never heard the old saw, "Possession is nine-tenths of the law"?

Next time at least remove the drivers or take something with you. ;)

I'm sure the original intent was not to defraud you but during the interim period you allowed by not taking the items, the seller's phone must have rung off the hook with at least one offer to beat the asking price. Seller's remorse doesn't always have to do with wishing he'd not sold the product. It can often mean he wished he'd gotten more for it than he did. Just like your buyer's remorse at the new price! Sure, an ethical seller would not have done this to you but ethical behavior is becoming a dying principle these days. And yet car salesmen get a bum rap.

Krunchy
05-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Always show up with cash and a vehicle big enough to beat a hasty retreat with your quarry!
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Now that is all very good advise :applaud:

(somedays you're the bug, somedays you're the windshield)
Enjoy them is right, they seem to be in very nice shape, Good Deal!

(plus for him to honor the bill of sale you probably would have had to threaten legal action :blah::blah::blah: & that is a BPITA) .

duaneage
05-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Nice story he had to tell, more likely three people offered him a grand for them.

I had a chance to buy a new Colnago Master bicycle frame made with Columbus OS tubing back in 91 for only 300 dollars. This was a 1200 dollar frame that did not fit the owner. I dilly dallied around and went over 20 minutes late. If I had bought it and taken it that minute it would have been mine. I learned a lesson that day, cash out and carry out.

robertbartsch
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
$1,000 is probably a steel - look on e-bay and you will see these going for more dough without cabs or crossovers.

...anyway, I would not rely on the police to give you legal advice; their job is to prevent confrontations.

Although I'm not a lawyer, I would have to assume from a legal point of view the goods belonged to you and title did pass to the buyer when you paid the full asking price. You could probably pay a lawyer $300 for this advice but you may be overpaying.

John
05-04-2009, 11:35 PM
$1,000 is probably a steel - look on e-bay and you will see these going for more dough without cabs or crossovers.

...anyway, I would not rely on the police to give you legal advice; their job is to prevent confrontations.

Although I'm not a lawyer, I would have to assume from a legal point of view the goods belonged to you and title did pass to the buyer when you paid the full asking price. You could probably pay a lawyer $300 for this advice but you may be overpaying.

Exactly ,Police are peace officers not the law. There the last one's you want to ask for legal advice.:biting:

John
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
I called the police and told them the whole story even thoe i had a reciept saying paid in full they told me that if a person changes there mind about selling and is willing to give you your money back in full they have the right to do so. I did not realize this and maybe some people here can learn something. Yes i do not think it was right once you make a deal with someone you should keep your word.

Yes and you have the right to disagree. Should of stood your ground.
But like Heather said too late now, get on with it and enjoy.

rgwalker
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM

This is a fantastic score even with the extra $300.00. I paid $1,600.00 for mine with intact grilles and I had to drive 1,200 miles roundtrip to pick them up. They were my main speakers for almost two years and were well worth the expense and the effort.

Bob Walker

John
05-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Never heard the old saw, "Possession is nine-tenths of the law"?

That old saying is a urban legend and only heard in old movies or cartoons.:o:

If you have a dated bill of sale with the sellers john doe and money has been exchanged it's a contract. Were not talking ebay contract but real contract.

But good advice about taking something like a few drivers:applaud:

Infact there were only 2 drivers and 2 xovers. Seller would of had empty cabinets;)

JBL Dog
05-05-2009, 05:32 AM

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36999&d=1233707737

In addition to being able to haul off the goodies on your first trip, it's always been my policy to bring a little extra cash. You never know what the seller my wants to get rid of on the spot. I went to pick up some Phase Linear gear from a guy and he mentioned he had some JBL horns if I was interested. Those horns consisted of 2310 lenses, 2309 horns, 2327 adaptors, Celestion drivers and an MA25 mounting kit. Everything was mint. I asked him what he wanted for everything.... "how 'bout $100?"

I'm off on another treasure hunt this morning. A local church has installed a new sound system and wants to get rid of the old. I know he has some JBL pro series stuff and at least one Crown PS-400 amp.

Anyway, my cargo van is empty at the time.....

:D