PDA

View Full Version : Earlist known D130 ? Serial NO. 949

osita anienwelu
05-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Hello all
just got a set of spare drivers and a replacement tweeter and so decided to open up my c40 harkenss (030) system to try and match the drivers as best i could.

i was completely suprised to find that one of the d130's was very early.

The guy i bought them from told me he had had them since 1949. by them i mean the first set and he then added another when stereo came about.

i have attached pictures if anyone wants to see these

cheers
Osita

oldsoundz
05-01-2009, 11:14 AM
:applaud:

noice!

Steve Schell
05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Hello Osita,

The D-130 you have pictured is a fairly early one, probably built in 1949. These are pretty rare in such nice condition. The earliest D-130s were built by Jim Lansing at his farm near San Diego, and the labels say "San Marcos, Calif." Then Lansing obtained space in a factory in Venice by mid 1947 and the labels say "Venice, Calif." Then the company he rented space from moved up to the San Fernando valley and the labels, like yours, say "Van Nuys, Calif." Lansing's company was only there for a few months before moving to a location on Fletcher Drive in Los Angeles. It is possible that there was some inaccuracy in labeling since the operation was moved several times in a short period of time. Your serial number may indicate a manufacturing date of September 1949, which was the month that Jim Lansing died. Glen, can you add anything?