PDA

View Full Version : Help

leif
06-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I am planning to build a pair of speakers. Never done it beofre, and are not too sure how to start.
Here is what I have:

JBL 077 tweeters
Altec Lansing 806-8a
Altec Lansing 511b (horn)
And there is a pair of JBL K145 that I may buy (or do someone have better to recommend)?

How to calculate enclosures?
How to calculate crossover networks?
Should I have a passive or active crossover network?

Hope for help

Leif Arild

boputnam
06-01-2004, 01:16 PM
Hey Leif...

First thing, you're gonna need the Thiele-Small parameters on that Altec woofer. I'm not at home (where I could check BassBoxPro...), but WinISD does not have them. I searched the Forum, and didn't find any out there. :hmm:

Anybody got 'em?

johnaec
06-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
Hey Leif...

First thing, you're gonna need the Thiele-Small parameters on that Altec woofer. I'm not at home (where I could check BassBoxPro...), but WinISD does not have them. I searched the Forum, and didn't find any out there. :hmm:

Anybody got 'em? Altec woofer? I though he mentioned K145s...

John

boputnam
06-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by leif
...a pair of JBL K145 that I may buy ;)

Hell, the options are nearly endless!

Alex Lancaster
06-01-2004, 03:05 PM
Here is what I would do:

Check the 806 diaphrafgms, if they are "symbiotik" (plastic surround) or in bad shape, get replacement Ti diaphragms, or adapt JBL 2425´s, 16 ohm.

Check Your 077 diaphs also, I recently took some apart, and got a lot of aluminum metal-flake.

Get some JBL 2235H´s.

If You want to make Your X-overs, You will find help here; If You want to save time, money and aggravation, get 3110 x-overs, and run wires from the 806 in line with a 1 microF 100V cap to the 077's.

I realize You have "500 Hz" horns, but they will sound great with the 800 Hz x-overs, and save Your 806´s.

It will not be perfect, but very good.

Absolutely forget about the K145´s, unless You are into Disco or similar crap.

After You determine Your cabinet dimensions, (Be sure to put the woofer at the bottom, the 511 in the middle, and the 077 at ear level), post them, and You will get the port dimensions here.

Alex.

Hofmannhp
06-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
;)

Hell, the options are nearly endless!

Hey Bo,

you surely are near the pole in the meantime :cool:

the 806-8 is his mid driver...and a very fine driver.

Leif:

with the written parts I can imagine a nice system.
For my opinion the K 145 is very well for a deep bass, when tuned in the right enclosure. This woofer is very "fast" and precise and allows you to couple the 806-8/511 a little higher than possible (I think about 700 to 800Hz) with more security against cooking the diaphragma.
What you loose with the higher fres of the K 145 (against the soft edged woofers), you win with his high efficiency.

HP

boputnam
06-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Hofmannhp
the 806-8 is his mid driver...and a very fine driver. Doh!! :banghead: Shows you what I know about Altec! :eek:

Well, the K145 is in WinISD, so if that's the route, he can model them for free!