PDA

View Full Version : Control One Speakers, ?opinions?

midlife
04-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Anyone using or have used Control One speakers? I have had a pair in my garage and for their size I was pretty impressed. Anyone else with some comments?

04-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Anyone using or have used Control One speakers? I have had a pair in my garage and for their size I was pretty impressed. Anyone else with some comments?

Use 'em on the music computer for editing and general playback duties with a small sub, they work great for near field. My garage has charge-coupled Control-5's with an SB-5... (Along with a big SR stack!)

JBL 4645
04-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Use x10 for surrounds that surround the room over a 8 feet 5 inch distance out of a 15 long room. Placed at 6 feet 7 inches to where the fixing bracket is attached and aimed downwards to give full surround encompassment as well as full uniform surround envelopment without the need of spending hundreds for silly pair of dipolar/bipolar surrounds. The JBL control 1 is wicked deal at £49,98 a pair and it sounds just like it looks as if I was in small cinema auditorium like EMPIRE 3 at Leicester Square, now then.

Each sidewall consists of x3 JBL control 1 spaced out to give that defused cinema surround effect!

x4 JBL control 1 for centre back placed in tighter array to give a solid centre back since of presence that works good even with non-standard EX Dolby encoding.

Each JBL control 1 is wired in series.

Fronts are JBL control 5 LCR
Sub bass is diy JBL 4645 for LFE.1 or sub bass extension pending on film type or stereo/music
Sub bass extension is ran by Eltax A-12R for LCRS

The JBL control package is versatile compact speaker design that I’ve been pleased with for almost 20 years which will be around next year.
:applaud:

Zilch
04-30-2009, 11:46 PM
Here's six brand new ones:

duaneage
05-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I've made wood boxes for the control 1s and I think the woofers are pretty good for what they are. Volume of the control 1 is around 124 cu inches, I build 235 and tuned them a little lower. Original tuning was about 65 I went with 60.

The C1003 driver used in the control1 shares similar characteristics with the 115 driver used in the L20T. The two differences are Vas is smaller (smaller driver) and the efficiency is lower (again, smaller cone) but in WinISD both drivers have similar curves. Probably a coincidence but interesting neverless.

The crossover has a fuse that when it opens resistance is placed in series with the woofer. I guess this is meant as a safety valve, I have not seen this on other JBL crossovers.

JBL 4645
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
The crossover has a fuse that when it opens resistance is placed in series with the woofer. I guess this is meant as a safety valve, I have not seen this on other JBL crossovers.

I always thought it was George Lucas lighting-effect :D when watching Return of the Jedi 19 years ago on Hi-Fi VHS Dolby pro-logic. Friends whould get excited when the control 5 lighted-up on all three LCR.

Doctor_Electron
05-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I had a pair and used them for rear powered "Dynaquad" speakers. They were powered with an Advent 300 receiver, with a 10 Ohm resistor connected between the receiver's speaker "ground" connection and the two Control 1's "ground" leads, which were tied together.
They worked very well this way with my 4410 front monitors.
They were eventually stolen, or I would still have a use for them somewhere.
BTW they also sounded quite nice hooked to a Blaupunkt New York car stereo, as front speakers.
KEEP THEM!:D

KCCT82
05-01-2009, 11:34 PM
A few years ago my dad hooked up a pair of Control 1's to my playstation 2 and I was amazed at the sound quality (comparing to TV sound). Now I'm very much into audio like my father.

Did I mention ATC speakers and Boulder amps make very good video game systems? :rotfl: