PDA

View Full Version : Looky What I Just Got - JBL L100T - One owner!

hjames
04-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Already started the thread elsewhere - pair of L100T speakers in very nice shape, veneer is dry, but nearly perfect (minor chip on the back corner).
2214H woofers have blown their foam, but nearly everything else looks quite nice!
Bought the surround kit from Rick Monday, arrived today, just finished aligning everything with the test tone - I'll let them sit overnight before reassembling the speakers ...

Couple pictures show the dramatic difference when oiling an old dry cabinet.
I'm just wiping them down with Howard's Orange oil just to refurb them a bit.
The last picture show the mess of the living room - Aquaplas 2425Hs for the 4341s, H92 longhorns for the L200s, and the 2214 just pulled from the L100T ... too many projects!

hjames
04-29-2009, 07:15 PM
Because there was a question about it - This pair has the PC Board crossover networks ... (not point to point ones)

Based on comments from G and the gang, it sounds like upgrading them to L100 T3 specs is a very worthwhile project,
see this thread - http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7812

I've hooked them up to the Yamaha CR-1020 in the living room (instead of the L-200 3ways) - so I can give them a fair listen over the next few days and see what I think. I wanted to let the refoams dry for overnight and a day before I hit them with any serious sound.
But a tentative playing of "She's already Made up her Mind" (Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth (http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Judges-Ruth-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B000002OIY/)) late last night
showed me these speakers have a very fine bass quality!
If you don't know the album, its quite an audiophile recording (thanks to Fred Sanford for turning me on to it!!

Mike Ronesia
04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Nice, they look like a quick fix to all but new condition.

wu6fiend
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I love the L100Ts...I scored a pair locally for $500 Canadian, almost in mint condition, just a small nick in one corner of one cabinet. Sound terrific. I think they are the most underrated speaker JBL made in the last 25 years. Sad thing is, many of them are being parted out, due to the size/weight of the cabinets; makes them too expensive to ship.

I think Heather and I have this in common: a love of the L-series! I have all of the models (L20T, L60T, L80T & L100T); I think she has most of them too.

BMWCCA
04-30-2009, 10:37 AM
. . . a tentative playing of "She's already Made up her Mind" (Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth (http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Judges-Ruth-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B000002OIY/)) late last night
showed me these speakers have a very fine bass quality! Yep, I don't think the rear port will bother you on these like it did on the L60Ts. ;)

Nice job on the re-surround! Just curious; did the 2214s have a paper gasket where they mounted to the cabinet? On my L80Ts only one did, oddly enough, with no sign of anyone entering them until my re-surround. Not that I can honestly say I hear any difference between the two now, one with gasket and one without. Did yours have the spring-loaded woofer terminals or the spade connectors?

Fred Sanford
04-30-2009, 10:41 AM
But a tentative playing of "She's already Made up her Mind" (Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth (http://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Judges-Ruth-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B000002OIY/)) late last night
showed me these speakers have a very fine bass quality!
If you don't know the album, its quite an audiophile recording (thanks to Fred Sanford for turning me on to it!!

Listen to the opening of "North Dakota" as well - those tweets should give you a very detailed reverb trail off of the conga drums.

Great album, great recording.

je

Fred Sanford
04-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep, I don't think the rear port will bother you on these like it did on the L60Ts. ;)

Nice job on the re-surround! Just curious; did the 2214s have a paper gasket where they mounted to the cabinet? On my L80Ts only one did, oddly enough, with no sign of anyone entering them until my re-surround. Not that I can honestly say I hear any difference between the two now, one with gasket and one without. Did yours have the spring-loaded woofer terminals or the spade connectors?

My L20T3s also lacked a woofer gasket, but they'd obviously been opened & stripped in the past.

When's the next comparo? We've all accumulated a bunch of new 'stuff'. Memorial Day?

je

hjames
04-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Yep, I don't think the rear port will bother you on these like it did on the L60Ts. ;)

As near as I could tell, no one had been in the cabinets before (except spiders!!) - but no gaskets visible, no signs of any on the dry wood either.

2214H both have spade lug terminals ... but the L60T woofers had the plastic spring terminals - price point thing???

4 of the rubber grommets that the grills push into had been shoved back into the cabinet. I initially thought they were gone, and JBL says NLA but I found they'd slid WAAY back in the hole once I pulled the woofers. I pushed them through, dabbed a bit of gorilla glue in the hole, then pushed them in again from the front. Hopefully that will lock them in place for another 20+ years.

Meeting details?? Lets take them to email!

BMWCCA
04-30-2009, 12:22 PM
2214H both have spade lug terminals ... but the L60T woofers had the plastic spring terminals - price point thing???

4 of the rubber grommets that the grills push into had been shoved back into the cabinet. I initially thought they were gone, and JBL says NLA but I found they'd slid WAAY back in the hole once I pulled the woofers. I pushed them through, dabbed a bit of gorilla glue in the hole, then pushed them in again from the front. Hopefully that will lock them in place for another 20+ years.Yeah, only one gasket on one of mine but the serial numbers are not consecutive. Way to scrimp on a 25¢ part! The tech sheets show the gasket on the entire L-series. The spring-loaded connections get this note on the L100T technical sheet: "Early 2214's w/o Faston Connectors Use Red & Black Push Terminals". So yours must be a later pair.

I had to pull all of my grommets out to palm-sand the boxes. One was pushed in and I thought it was missing. Thin needle-nosed pliers did the trick but I didn't use any glue since I figured I'd not mishandle them like the previous owner. Who pushes on a grille hard enough to shove the grommet in the hole? That means they never had it lined up right to start. And they seem surprised when the post breaks on the grilles! :blink:

Too much going on on the holiday here, too. I'm a single parent the next weekend with my wife taking one daughter to Paris for ten days. The weekend of 6/6 looks okay so far but my living room is still a 4345/030 disaster area, and not big enough anyway. I don't think the 4345s will be traveling anywhere anytime soon! I'll plan on a big event in my new home I hope to build before I die. ;) This comparo may have to be restricted to small stuff with 12" woofer maximum: L80T, L100T, L96, L5, 4412A, and all the other "little" stuff we've got out there. And there's always that spare pair of L7s. :D

hjames
04-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Got home and playing through some CDs - John is right, Lyle's "North Dakota" is a great sounding piece of music. Ran through parts of Disc 1 - of Santana Moonflower - "Let the Children Play" and "Dance Sister Dance" - a bit harsher. Then "Famous Blue Raincoat 20th Anniv Renmaster" - in some places the sibilance in her voice is piercing .. dang - can these 035TIs be aquaplassed?

Now granted, the CR-1020 is an older vintage receiver - maybe 90w/channel and these L100Ts can probably live with 400w/ch amps if you don't peak them all the time, but when I run the Yam a bit louder so the bass sounds good, the tweeters get a bit shrill.

Or maybe I'm just spoiled by the L200/L300 clones and the 4341s -
the big 15s/CD combo systems are all I know.

But Emma's gonna run some errands in a bit, so I'll pull out Concrete Blonde, X and The Who (Leeds, of course) to bang them a bit more ...
and confirm what I'm already hearing ...

BMWCCA
04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
- in some places the sibilance in her voice is piercing .. dang - can these 035TIs be aquaplassed?I'd swap CD players before I blamed the amp or the speakers. Even the interconnects (shudder to think I said that), but I've been-there-done-that with a fine old Sony TOTL single-play I've had since new. Swapped in a $36 DVD player from the H-K tent sales and never looked back. You can do Burr-Brown these days brand new for under $200.

I've got too many 035Ti's and TiA's to count and don't have that same problem, even on the same CD!

hjames
04-30-2009, 03:23 PM
I'd swap CD players before I blamed the amp or the speakers. Even the interconnects (shudder to think I said that), but I've been-there-done-that with a fine old Sony TOTL single-play I've had since new. Swapped in a $36 DVD player from the H-K tent sales and never looked back. You can do Burr-Brown these days brand new for under $200.

I've got too many 035Ti's and TiA's to count and don't have that same problem, even on the same CD!
Yeah - currently got a Denon CD Changer with HDCD capabilities in that slot -
I've got an HK Changer I can swap into its place later -
gotta lift the Yamaha to do so (heavy!)

But I had the same system including the speaker cables and interconnects
feeding the L200-3ways just a day before and didn't have that shrillness ...
just powered down and popped the banana jacks from one pair to the other ...

BMWCCA
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Hmmm. I've been listening to the softer 044's of the L96 a lot recently so any sibilance from the titanium tweets should jump right out at me. I'll play Raincoat on the L80Ts later this evening. It's a tough job but someone has to do it! :applaud:

Maybe if you had a spare pair of 035Ti's you could swap in there . . . :duck:

hjames
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Hmmm. I've been listening to the softer 044's of the L96 a lot recently so any sibilance from the titanium tweets should jump right out at me. I'll play Raincoat on the L80Ts later this evening. It's a tough job but someone has to do it! :applaud:

Maybe if you had a spare pair of 035Ti's you could swap in there . . . :duck:

Yeah, I can gut my L20Ts - they actually have 035TIAs in them ...:bouncy:

Fred Sanford
05-01-2009, 04:28 AM
June might work, keep talking about it (or we can take it to e-mail). I was thinking the 8" & under crowd for ease of transport/setup/comparo.

JBL HP420/4401 (modded)/L46/L20T3 here, that lineup currently has 026Ti/033/034/035TiA tweets, a nice cross-section of domes.

There's also some wee Cantons here: Karat 20/Patio 160/Plus S/Quinto 510 if desired. Some Sonance Mariner outdoor speakers NIB, too, if I feel like climbing into one of the storage closets.

je

BMWCCA
05-01-2009, 06:46 AM
I was thinking the 8" & under crowd for ease of transport/setup/comparo. That still includes the L5. Cool. Heather and I can always do the "Fifty-Dollar-JBL" L80T/L100T comparo at another time, unless she gets bored with them before that happens. :D

I can contribute: L1, L20T, LX22, and L5s. Go to 10" and my recent L96 and L80T can play. A lot depends on whose hospitality we're abusing. ;)

I also have two pairs of Crown PS-200 and PS-400 amps that are easily accessible to transport without disassembling my main bi-amp system if that would help. Or the Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four which actually has speaker switching for two pairs built-in off dual-banana plugs and might make two-pair-at-a-time comparisons very simple.

hjames
05-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Well, I've got the L100Ts and L200-3ways on the A/B speaker switch of the Yamaha receiver - interesting comparison! If I move the Poang chairs out we can audition in the living room - with the bookshelves and the cathedral ceiling its a nice music room ... :D

And John - my cost is up to $80 now - I bought the Rick Cobb kit for the 2214Hs ... and I may spend EVEN MORE if I get the crossovers upgraded to T3 spec (apparently HIGHLY recommended) - unless I can work out a barter/swap thingee ...

Plus I have the Carver C-1 preamp not yet mounted anywhere

That still includes the L5. Cool. Heather and I can always do the "Fifty-Dollar-JBL" L80T/L100T comparo at another time, unless she gets bored with them before that happens. :D

I can contribute: L1, L20T, LX22, and L5s. Go to 10" and my recent L96 and L80T can play. A lot depends on whose hospitality we're abusing. ;)

I also have two pairs of Crown PS-200 and PS-400 amps that are easily accessible to transport without disassembling my main bi-amp system if that would help. Or the Soundcraftsmen Pro-Power-Four which actually has speaker switching for two pairs built-in off dual-banana plugs and might make two-pair-at-a-time comparisons very simple.

opimax
05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I have 18ti, 20t3, 20t (dup from above), 120 are small enough, dahlquist 28 have 8" in them for woofers, an adcom gfa 555 not hookd up,adcom something 400 pre, also not hooked up but most of all can't forget Minimus 7s !! and a set of dahlquist somethings Minimus 7 clones, 3 way!

Pick and choose from list and a few weeks warning and i am there or I am willing to have the group over

Fred Sanford
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
I have 18ti, 20t3, 20t (dup from above), 120 are small enough, dahlquist 28 have 8" in them for woofers, an adcom gfa 555 not hookd up,adcom something 400 pre, also not hooked up but most of all can't forget Minimus 7s !! and a set of dahlquist somethings Minimus 7 clones, 3 way!

Pick and choose from list and a few weeks warning and i am there or I am willing to have the group over

On the amp side I've got two of the 4-ch Adcoms, two integrated amps with A/B outputs on bananas (the Nakamichi even switches from the remote!), plus some 12-channel amps (6 pair) that can bus one input to all outputs. Hmmm...

Very curious to hear L96 and 18Ti and L5s, too.

If you go up to $75 per pair, that would cover every one of my JBLs, actually (actual purchase price, not repair/refurb price). If you stay at $50/pair, that knocks out one of my sets of L46s and one set of L100s.

je

BMWCCA
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Very curious to hear L96 and 18Ti and L5s, too. L5s qualify as "Eight-inch-and-under". You'd have to expand that to 10" to get the L96 to play, and then it'd probably bring along its little brother, L80T. All fine with me. I have to clean out the van anyway to bring daughter #2 home from college. Sounds like fun.

I'm sure this is providing scintillating reading for most of the LH family. :)

Fred Sanford
05-01-2009, 06:37 PM
L5s qualify as "Eight-inch-and-under". You'd have to expand that to 10" to get the L96 to play, and then it'd probably bring along its little brother, L80T. All fine with me. I have to clean out the van anyway to bring daughter #2 home from college. Sounds like fun.

We had plenty of positive feedback after our last one, no? Maybe this time we'll take better notes on the beer-tasting and garlic dips for higher scintitillation factor.

je

hjames
05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Heckamundo!! They better be takin' notes!
These are honest-to-by-gawd JBL speaker testin' and beer festin' come-together meetings! Its not some virtual speaker test fest with pie charts and stuff - its the real deal, and we have an official listening party CD!
Heck, I think we're split between 15 inch owners and 18 inch owners!

L5s qualify as "Eight-inch-and-under". You'd have to expand that to 10" to get the L96 to play, and then it'd probably bring along its little brother, L80T. All fine with me. I have to clean out the van anyway to bring daughter #2 home from college. Sounds like fun.

MikeBrewster77
05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Or just making us wish we had "cool" friends who lived local and had lots of JBL gear to do shoot outs with. :o:

Fred Sanford
05-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Or just making us wish we had "cool" friends who lived local and had lots of JBL gear to do shoot outs with. :o:

Heather's about 125 miles from me, but it's been "local" enough for us to visit each other a few times.

Phil's just over the mountains, but I've only gotten him to meet me when there's been bagels involved! :applaud:

je

opimax
05-03-2009, 06:06 AM
and where am I (feeling left out!) I am even a little further than Heather.

I will be happy to have anyone here stop be and listen to my systems when they are in the DC area. And when I make make next trip to KC in MO I hope I can get some invites on the way, ST Louis has some members w/interesting stuff off the top of my head and others. I also sometime head towards Charlotte NC if anybody along the way or in NC wants to speak up please do :)

Going to listening parties I expect to enjoy the sounds and hope to enjoy the company, so far so good!

Mark

hjames
05-03-2009, 07:01 AM
and where am I (feeling left out!) I am even a little further than Heather.

Going to listening parties I expect to enjoy the sounds and hope to enjoy the company, so far so good!

Mark

Yeah, Mark has a nice place - its not at all the inner city like some have said - its delightfully close and yet wooded! Plus he has a nicely diverse collection of speakers to compare, included a B460 and another sub with that legendary 18" JBL Woofer! Plus he just a fun guy ...:bouncy:

And if its not rush hour, he's only maybe 35 minutes from us ... just off the Beltway once you hit MD!

hjames
05-06-2009, 06:44 PM
laid the speakers out tonight so I could pull the crossovers and ship them off to be upgraded to t3 specs ...
and, of course, the inspector came around when I went for paper to take notes on the wiring ...:blink:

Seems Teddy was too tired so Dolly pitched in for him!

hjames
05-07-2009, 09:57 AM
A pity I didn't have the L100Ts when I was doing the L20T L60T comparisons ...
Sold the L60Ts, as well as the S-38s sideways on the L200s,
but I still have the L20Ts (and the L200s) ...

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=36671&stc=1&d=1232491804

hjames
05-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Other info: I found in the Library and I took a tape measure to my L100Ts

L100T3 specs 35 3/8" tall x 14 1/2" wide x 13" deepl.
My L100T size - 35 1/2" tall x 16" wide x 13 1/4" deep (base adds 1" height)
(L100TBQ sized the same according to the brochure in the Library)

I wonder if gluing stiff pink formboard to the inside would help?
Its firm, doesn't really give much and wouldn't add much extra weight ...
(plus, its easier to get in the woofer hole than wood boards would be!)

Also, see - Duaneage's L100T vs L100T3 comparison and DIY Thread (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7812) ...

BMWCCA
05-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Same "shrinkage" between the L80t and the L80T3. I suppose that's why Gordon suggests stuffing the top of the cabinet with more insulation on the T-model.

L80T: 33.5 x 14 x 11.75D
L80T3: 32 x 12.75 x 12.12D

pierce
05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Same "shrinkage" between the L80t and the L80T3. I suppose that's why Gordon suggests stuffing the top of the cabinet with more insulation on the T-model.

L80T: 33.5 x 14 x 11.75D
L80T3: 32 x 12.75 x 12.12D

what sort of glue would you attach that insulation to whats already there? speaking of, I noted some of the side insulation on my L100T's is hanging partially detached... presumably the same answer, but, what sort of glue would be best?

hjames
05-13-2009, 02:58 PM
what sort of glue would you attach that insulation to whats already there? speaking of, I noted some of the side insulation on my L100T's is hanging partially detached... presumably the same answer, but, what sort of glue would be best?

Home Depot sells the 3M 45 Spray Adhesive ... I've got some of that from redoing grills for my 4320s couple years back ... should work fine for the fiberglass/polyfiber type insulation ...

If I was to add the thick pink foam type insulation to reduce the interior space, I'd do a shot of spray adhesive
AND a sheetrock screw and fender washer to hold it to the inside. Measure carefull so you don't punch through the cabinet!

Titanium Dome
05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
Heather's having fun. :applaud:

hjames
09-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Well, all good fun must end ...

Heather's having fun. :applaud:

SO - I had them all summer, couldn't sell them in the DC market, so - its time to box them up and ship them off!

Just came home with $80 worth of tape, foam, and boxes!
the pink foam comes in 2 x 8 foot sheets (can't fit the 4 x 8 footers in my CRV!) - so tape two pieces for a full size sheet, and start cutting out 16" wide strips

BMWCCA
09-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I hope you've got something solid underneath that foam and your knife! Or are you just scoring and snapping?

So, who's the lucky new owner?

JSF13
09-02-2009, 08:26 PM
So, who's the lucky new owner?

That would be me! :D:applaud::bouncy:

BMWCCA
09-02-2009, 08:52 PM
That would be me! :D:applaud::bouncy:Lucky you! Great speakers. I don't know why someone hadn't scooped them up already.

I think the L100T/3 is a better choice than others you seemed to be considering. What are you listening to now?

JSF13
09-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Lucky you! Great speakers. I don't know why someone hadn't scooped them up already.

I think the L100T/3 is a better choice than others you seemed to be considering. What are you listening to now?

Agreed! Up here in Canada we don't always have the variety to choose from so I was looking at what was available. However fortune smiled on me and Heather agreed to send these my way. :)

I have been listening to 4410's.

Don Mascali
09-03-2009, 05:48 AM
I had been watching those for awhile.

I have a habit of buying Heathers old stuff but I have 2 sets in the house and one on semi-permanent loan to a pal. I think the L100T and especially the L100T3 were some of the best non pro oriented JBL ever sold.

I think the new owner will be pleased.

hjames
09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Agreed! Up here in Canada we don't always have the variety to choose from so I was looking at what was available. However fortune smiled on me and Heather agreed to send these my way. :)

I have been listening to 4410's.

Now if Customs will be kind, and not remove all the foam packing I am carefully building for these, we will both be happy with the outcome!

Anyway, with luck I'll get this done over the holidays and have it ready to ship after work Tuesday. I'm going to try this UPS White Glove treatment I read about on AKarma recently - for an extra fee its basically handled better than the usual box tossing chimps approach ... Anyway, I'll see if its even available for US -> Canada shipping.

Edit - after 5PM
Had a chance to cut some more stiff foam after work, and start wrapping one of the speakers - 1 inch foam all around, with a 2 inch layer over the drivers - a small hole cut out of the first layer over the TI screen, so it doesn't get mashed.
Next I need to do the same for the other speaker, then get them (each) into a doublewall cardboard box - but this seems pretty rugged to start with.

jcrobso
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
A fiend of mine that had his own business, would insure things for double what they were worth. UPS would take extra care so they didn't have to pay insurance claims.

BMWCCA
09-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Now if Customs will be kind, and not remove all the foam packing I am carefully building for these, we will both be happy with the outcome!I bought a bunch of hi-fi stuff from Canada. It was packed nicely in foam, and sent through the Canadian Post. It arrived untouched, unopened, and was delivered to my door in fine shape by my local post office. Weird. Hope it works as well in reverse!

rdgrimes
09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
A pair of T3 just sold here for $100 off CL. I was really tempted but too many speakers. They needed foam and little else from what I could tell. :banghead:

JSF13
09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Now if Customs will be kind, and not remove all the foam packing I am carefully building for these, we will both be happy with the outcome!

Anyway, with luck I'll get this done over the holidays and have it ready to ship after work Tuesday. I'm going to try this UPS White Glove treatment I read about on AKarma recently - for an extra fee its basically handled better than the usual box tossing chimps approach ... Anyway, I'll see if its even available for US -> Canada shipping.

Edit - after 5PM
Had a chance to cut some more stiff foam after work, and start wrapping one of the speakers - 1 inch foam all around, with a 2 inch layer over the drivers - a small hole cut out of the first layer over the TI screen, so it doesn't get mashed.
Next I need to do the same for the other speaker, then get them (each) into a doublewall cardboard box - but this seems pretty rugged to start with.

Awesome job Heather! ;)

AmericanPie
09-03-2009, 10:08 PM
...for an extra fee its basically handled better than the usual box tossing chimps approach ...

That was a pretty funny line, Heather...and so true. I got a good belly laugh out of it. :applaud:

hjames
09-04-2009, 02:37 AM
That was a pretty funny line, Heather...and so true. I got a good belly laugh out of it. :applaud:

Thanks - I just had the visual stuck in my head from those old American Tourister TV ads ...
with the chimps tossing suitcases ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ZeIoLz8FE&NR=1

opimax
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM
If you haven't experieced some of their best work you would be amazed.I sent a 14-1 woofer to Arizona in a metal box in anohter box to a fellow forum member, so mangled the frame was trashed, nothing useable.

this white glove service, needed as it is, seems to be like strong arm money for the mob! Same w/th Accident forgiveness from the insurance companies...but I am going OT.

Hope for the best , certainly she is doing her part (as always)

Mark

hjames
09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
If you haven't experieced some of their best work you would be amazed.I sent a 14-1 woofer to Arizona in a metal box in anohter box to a fellow forum member, so mangled the frame was trashed, nothing useable.

this white glove service, needed as it is, seems to be like strong arm money for the mob! Same w/th Accident forgiveness from the insurance companies...but I am going OT.

Hope for the best , certainly she is doing her part (as always)

Mark

Yeah, but we missed a bet - insuring speakers for $5,000 ($50 cost) just to be sure they get there is one thing, but, with a Canadian shipment, if I place the value that high, the buyer gets hammered with import duties!

ARRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Chas
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM

Yeah, good luck with that! As a minimum, they will likely open one up.:(

SEAWOLF97
09-04-2009, 12:15 PM
As a minimum, they will likely open one up.:(

yup..I sent 2 pallets of assorted gear to Australia ...after customs got through...all boxes from 1 pallet were opened and scattered...the 2nd pallet was untouched. :blink:

really glad the boxes were numbered and manifested.

JSF13
09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I've never really had a problem with the few shipments I have received cross-border via UPS. My last shipment was a pair of 4410's from Atlanta and I don't think they opened either of the boxes. If they did you couldn't tell. Both speakers arrived in excellent condition.

Same experience with various amps,preamps,tuners,etc. before that. Guess I've been lucky.

JSF13
09-04-2009, 07:10 PM

Here is an example of what I mean.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/138649-jbl_l100t/

BMWCCA
09-05-2009, 06:48 AM
Here is an example of what I mean.And you didn't jump all over those, why?

:barf:

hjames
09-05-2009, 07:32 AM
And you didn't jump all over those, why?

:barf:
Jealous??
How many professionally carpeted speakers do YOU own?:D

BMWCCA
09-05-2009, 08:10 AM
How many professionally carpeted speakers do YOU own?:DNONE! But I spent way too much time repairing, modifying, and doing maintenance on a few last week. They're probably up right now at the American Music Festival at Virginia Beach on 17th St. providing SR for Bill Deal's Rhondels last night, Pure Prairie League and Firefall tonight, Lonestar tomorrow, and others even as I type.

hjames
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Dang - spent a good part of today doing the boxing - When the heck IS Boxing Day, anyway?

Okay, boxed the second L100T up just like the first one I did, then its time to box up the grills -
there's no way I'd leave them on the cabinets to get crushed en route - so -
I used some of the spare foam sheet cut offs to make a board and pushed the grill pins through to locate them -
off set them a bit in height so the pins are away from each other. Kind of a grilled foam sandwich!
Then take some other foam and make a case around them.

For what its worth - with double layer of foam across the speaker faces, and those extra grill packing,
I pretty well used up 4 complete sheets of 2ft x 8 ft 1 inch foamboard, plus pretty near 3 rolls of wide packing tape!
I bought 2 of the heavy duty boxes with the aluminum bar for hanging clothes (didn't use the bars),
just to have the beefier cardboard boxes for the speakers themselves. Bought two smaller boxes for the grills,
but only needed one - materials were a bit shy of $80, my labour - maybe 6 hours total .
But L100Ts are fairly large speakers - and probably the largest speakers I'd attempt to ship this way.

With any luck I can get them by UPS to ship on Tuesday
(closed today and they're off Monday due to the US Labour Day Holiday ...)
Then its up to the border and to Customs

BMWCCA
09-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Hopefully you won't have to wait until Heaven to receive your reward!

Nice, careful, thoughtful, devoted work. :applaud:

JSF13
09-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Hopefully you won't have to wait until Heaven to receive your reward!

Nice, careful, thoughtful, devoted work. :applaud:

Yes, you are an Angel! :):):)

JSF13
09-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Well they're on the way.:applaud:Thanks again Heather!!!

UPS is quoting a delivery date of Sept. 14 which I find highly optimistic.

Keep you posted.

Joe :)

Edit. I just checked the tracking no's and it looks like they are in Canada already. :blink:

BMWCCA
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I just checked the tracking no's and it looks like they are in Canada already. :blink:If I can drive there in a day, UPS can, too! I order car tires on line at three in the afternoon and they show up from Delaware via UPS the next morning before 10am. Some things actually work as they're supposed to. Luckily UPS can bounce tires around all they want and not hurt them. :)

hjames
09-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Just looked it up ... Not Sept 14, but Sept 11!
they are in Transit - out on the truck for Delivery today- WoW!

You may get to enjoy them THIS WEEKEND - very cool!

Well they're on the way.:applaud:Thanks again Heather!!!

UPS is quoting a delivery date of Sept. 14 which I find highly optimistic.

Keep you posted.

Edit. I just checked the tracking no's and it looks like they are in Canada already. :blink:

JSF13
09-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Just looked it up ... Not Sept 14, but Sept 11!
they are in Transit - out on the truck for Delivery today- WoW!

You may get to enjoy them THIS WEEKEND - very cool!

They arrived this afternoon! :applaud: Had them set up by three o'clock and have been listening ever since' Just couldn't tear myself away to let anyone know. They arrived in perfect condition.No problems at all. They sound wonderful,just kind of disappear and let the music take over.Couldn't be happier. Thanks again Heather for all your hard work and agreeing to send them to me.

Regards,

hjames
09-11-2009, 07:30 PM
They arrived this afternoon! :applaud: Had them set up by three o'clock and have been listening ever since' Just couldn't tear myself away to let anyone know. They arrived in perfect condition.No problems at all. They sound wonderful,just kind of disappear and let the music take over.Couldn't be happier. Thanks again Heather for all your hard work and agreeing to send them to me.

Regards,

Just glad to hear everything went so well (and so quickly!)
Enjoy them, and ... try to get outside a little bit this weekend (grin) ...
Worked out great for both of us - thanks for all your help as well!

JBL 4645
03-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Well, all good fun must end ...

SO - I had them all summer, couldn't sell them in the DC market, so - its time to box them up and ship them off!

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=41574&stc=1&d=1251971089

Just came home with $80 worth of tape, foam, and boxes!
the pink foam comes in 2 x 8 foot sheets (can't fit the 4 x 8 footers in my CRV!) - so tape two pieces for a full size sheet, and start cutting out 16" wide strips

Heather

Here’s a tip for next time!

Ask any good shop for cardboard they have planet of it at the back in small and large sheets!

Just fold the cardboard over several times to make the same thickness as the (pink foam stuff).

Tape well that’s not going to cost much now is it.

Cardboard! Lots of it! And lots of it they don’t mind giving it away as long as they can get rid of it.;)

This will reduce the cost of you’re shipping by many dollars$$$! Remember cardboard! Then tape it up strong as houses!

Use gaffer tape to make it tight and secure, that will keep the cardboard it its place! The new buyer is going have to use a Stanley Knife to open it up

hjames
03-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Heather

Here’s a tip for next time!

Ask any good shop for cardboard they have planet of it at the back in small and large sheets!

Frankly, The only big speaker you have is the 4645 sub - the rest are Control somethings, right?
My impression is you have NEVER even owned, nor shipped large speakers,
so you have no FIRST HAND experience with shipping big heavy speakers.

Have you EVER shipped LARGE speakers like JBL 4310, L100, L100T ??
I shipped 4310s to California - coast to coast, all the way across the USA, with no problems.
I shipped L100 speakers from here to Florida with no problem.
I shipped the L100T buyer in the thread here, and the buyer in the thread below
said the speakers I shipped him were fine when he unpacked them.

I have SUCCESSFULLY shipped all 3 systems using the method I showed and
gotten praise and compliments from the folks at the receiving end.
Its effective, it works, and its not that hard - just a bit time consuming.
Other people on the Lansing list have used the same kind of method and also had good luck.

Why in the WORLD would we use shoddy techniques like layered CARDBOARD and risk damage to speakers like that?? ...
Just to save a couple bucks on packing materials?? Absurd!

These are Valuable speakers - certainly worth 2 inches of stiff foam all around to protect them!

kingpin11
03-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Reminds me of when I shipped my speakers that I built all the way across Canada. They weighed in at 350lbs each. I put them on a pallet.
I agree about using the foam. I have always shipped any electronics in a box lined with 2" builders styrofoam and a sealed plastic bag. Also it is very easy to make indendations for drivers and such in the foam. I also make sure that there is absolutely no room for the product to move around in the box.

When i shipped my speakers I put them in sealed plastic bags. Used tuct tape to seal the bag and then put foam around them and inbetween. I then framed the bottom with 2x4's so they dont move around. Then Built a plywood box around them.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/kingpin111/dual%20ixls/1209080849.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/kingpin111/dual%20ixls/1209081745a.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/kingpin111/dual%20ixls/1209081747a.jpg
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n130/kingpin111/dual%20ixls/1210081640a.jpg

JBL 4645
03-13-2010, 01:58 PM
^^What the heck is that a refrigerator.:D

hjames
02-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Regards,

Yeah, and crazy me, I just bought another pair of them last weekend!
Got them as side surrounds in the TV room, but wow - such great bass and sound ...
Cabinets are really clean on them too!
I haven't had the crossovers tweaked on this pair,
but the previous owner did have them refoamed.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=49882&d=1297548128

mech986
02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, and crazy me, I just bought another pair of them last weekend!
Got them as side surrounds in the TV room, but wow - such great bass and sound ...
Cabinets are really clean on them too!
I haven't had the crossovers tweaked on this pair,
but the previous owner did have them refoamed.

And so, it begins again...Nice score! Looking good and very JBL in there!

Bart

opimax
02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
why did you get a 2nd set? you weren't over the top about the 1st pair

Mark

hjames
02-13-2011, 12:02 PM
why did you get a 2nd set? you weren't over the top about the 1st pair

Mark

Well, the price was very good, and - I'm using this pair differently than I did the first set.

The previous set I got I tried to use as the primary speakers on the upstairs system -
but when I tried the last set, I had been spoiled by the bigger 3 way L200-plus system,
and for me, the 100Ts don't compare to the big 3ways. But the L100Ts DO make very nice side surround speakers
(certainly better bass that the L20T or L20T3s!) - plus, they have pretty reasonable resale value ...
If I had the room on the back wall, I'd consider another set or rear surrounds - but - no room!
Rears in that room pretty much have to be wall or ceiling mounted!

And, if the truth be told, money was a lot tighter when I sold the last set!

Other than the 250s, Why do you have the sets you have??

opimax
02-13-2011, 12:21 PM
I originially was going to collect the whole TI series hoping I could use tem in a HT setup w/similar voiceing.

I was surprised that you bought a set of any speakers, didn't like and then bought them again.

Mark

BMWCCA
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
I was surprised that you bought a set of any speakers, didn't like and then bought them again.I've kept many speakers I didn't like . . . as much as others I own! It's all relative.

I don't like the L5s . . . as much as the L7s but I still love their sound and in certain applications they're even better suited than the big guys.

I suppose I don't really like the L80Ts . . . as much as my L96, even though I've done the T3 conversions to all four of them. I still like the sound and will probably pass them on to my kids when they have their own places big enough for a "real" stereo.

I know I don't like my 030s . . . as much as my 4345s, but then we've lived together nearly all our lives and they can still kick. And the memories . . . ! :D

hjames
02-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Yep, I had great pair of S38 IIs, and a miserable pair!
... what was different? Darned if I know, but I won't try again.

L60Ts - nope, no need for them again, yuck!

At some point I'll probably sell off 1 pair of the L20T3 -
I prefer their woodgrain better than the L1 finish, they play quite nice,
both pairs are perfect, but I don't need a spare pair of them anymore!