PDA

View Full Version : Referbishing My 846B'S

Marvin
04-29-2009, 12:05 PM
I bought my Altec 846 B's NEW back in 1975. Of course the foam fronts are long gone. I have replaced them with cloth. Looks good. My question is, since they have lost some of the sound quality over the years, how do I go about restoring the drivers? I have tried to contact Altec, but so far no response. I know some of the members have discussed changes to the crossovers as well as driver updates. I really love the sound and don't want to try to improve what I consider great sound. One of the horns has been repaired, but other than that they are as I bought them in '75.
Any suggestions...
Thanks,
Marvin

hjames
04-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I bought my Altec 846 B's NEW back in 1975. Of course the foam fronts are long gone. I have replaced them with cloth. Looks good. My question is, since they have lost some of the sound quality over the years, how do I go about restoring the drivers? I have tried to contact Altec, but so far no response. I know some of the members have discussed changes to the crossovers as well as driver updates. I really love the sound and don't want to try to improve what I consider great sound. One of the horns has been repaired, but other than that they are as I bought them in '75.
Any suggestions...
Thanks,
Marvin

Altec Owners here have spoken well of Great Plains Audio - who picked up a lot of the machinery when the original Altec closed down. Do a search on this site for Great Plains Audio and you'll find out more.
Can't help more, I'm not an Altec owner, but they have a lot of fans and support here.

robertbartsch
04-29-2009, 01:25 PM
I recently had some 15" Altec 411s reconed by Bill at Great Plains. - Very nice work.