PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning crud from Ti fram

robertbartsch
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM

OK, so this is a picture of a working factory diaphragm that was recently removed from a 2425 compression driver.

The foam on the driver cover was badly deteriorated and it left some nasty residue on the fram.

How is this best removed?

Minerial spirits
Acetone
soapie H2O
Other?
Thx.

Earl K
04-28-2009, 08:40 AM
A bit of reading from the past (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=700&highlight=Diaphragm+Centering)that might help you .

>< cheers

Robh3606
04-28-2009, 09:04 AM
If it doesn't go near the gap, it's not metalic or some other hard material that can drum against the diaphram, you may want to leave well enough alone. You don't want to mess with the glue joint between the VC former and the diaphram. The diaphram is only a couple on mils thick. Easy to crease or damage if you are not real careful.

The alternative is a lightly dampened Q tip to control what ever solvent you use and a very light touch.

Why is the picture of the opposite side from the foam pad???? There shouldn't be any foam mess on the phase plug side.

Rob:)

robertbartsch
04-28-2009, 09:51 AM
...the crud is on both sides. It is a sticky goo-like substance. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the factory foam on the driver cover that has degenerated from heat or age, I suppose....

The driver has no signs of physical damage or abuse from flood, fire, etc. In fact, it sounds great with a factory fresh fram.

toddalin
04-28-2009, 09:52 AM
I have found that the gingerly use of a soft artist's brush can remove light crud from diaphrams without damage.

Robh3606
04-28-2009, 10:16 AM
...the crud is on both sides. It is a sticky goo-like substance. I'm fairly sure it has something to do with the factory foam on the driver cover that has degenerated from heat or age, I suppose....

I think your right. You might want to use a cardboard digger just to make sure the gap is clean. Toddalins suggestion of an artists brush is a good idea as well. Certainly are soft enough.

Rob:)

robertbartsch
04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
...I'm not sure what a cardboard digger is but I cleaned the gap using a business card and two-sided tape followed by a shot of compressed air.

I suppose Ti is fairly impervious to solvents so I'll probably use a Q-tip and some mineral spirits first.... I will avoid the VC tabs, plastic and other stuff that might be harmed by solvents.

subwoof
04-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Qtip and MEK ( standard reconer item ) works very good. Using a triple thick paper towel wipe that is soaked will clean any dia to new. Do NOT get it onto the former though..:o)

There is a gap in 3 places that the "dust" from a disintegrated foam piece can get under the dia and into the gap but there shouldn't be any on the phase plug - maybe that was from another source?

I suppose if it went down the former and was blown back up via the phase plug slits??

I bought some meyer horn boxes once that had a large foam piece behind the perf metal grill and it went EVERYWHERE inc the driver gap. Got them for 100 / pr because they didn't sound "good"

sub