PDA

View Full Version : JBL PRX or MRX series for LCR?

DavidL
04-28-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi everyone,

I am after an opinion as to how will the above suit a typical home hi-fi speaker set up. I heard a lot of good things about the PRX and MRX speakers in the PA business but what about its use for hi fi? The PRX would be a bonus because I wouldn't need an amplifier its all built in. Size is not a problem. Specifically looking at the PRX 535 or MRX 525. I heard stuff about PA speakers having high end roll off but these seem to be relatively flat to 20khz.

I am after a very high efficiency speaker that will play with ease and thought these might fit the bill. My current system has more bass than what the rest of my speakers can keep up with, which is the reason I am after something with more power.

Earl K
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi David,

- I haven't heard either of these series / but (IMO) ;

There's no reason that one couldn't make something pretty hifi sounding from either series / given the components that populate both .

The Mylar diaphragmed 2408 is an easy-listening / good performer with the 262 or 265 woofers being modern evolutions of the ( 12" ) 2206 and ( 15" 2226 ).

You'll want at least a couple of subs to matchup with / whatever top box you choose .

If it were me, I would be looking at the single 12" woofer type of box . I don't know if I would choose powered or not . I notice that the PRX512MI (http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=284&MId=3) has what seems to be an EQ switch that chooses between extended response & a curve more suitable for on stage monitors ( for musicians ) . If you go unpowered you gain the advantage of being able to choose better sounding electronics if you so desire ( to get into that much detail, effort & expense ) .

>< cheers :)

DavidL
05-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi Earl,

Thanks for the reply. I heard the MRX 525, PRX 525 and PRX 512 the other day and thought they all sounded good and can play extremely loud a lot louder than my paradigm studio 100's which is a good thing. Another note, any particular reason going with the 12 inch models over the 15 inch models? Is there an issue allowing a 15 inch woofer to handle frequencies up to 1.7khz as specified in the spec sheets? The price of the MRX 515 and MRX 512m is virtually the same.

Cheers, David

Earl K
05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Another note, any particular reason going with the 12 inch models over the 15 inch models? Is there an issue allowing a 15 inch woofer to handle frequencies up to 1.7khz as specified in the spec sheets? The price of the MRX 515 and MRX 512m is virtually the same.

- Twelves do go higher than Fifteens ( cleaner ).
- 1.7KHz is really too high for a 15" woofer to handle with any grace ( up there, 15s have more distortion & are more directional than a 12 / though some may like the distortion ) .
- You'll still need subs to get a full range listening experiece / which ones ( if any ) are you looking at ?

DavidL
05-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Hi Earl,

Thanks for the information, i'll be going with the 12's now. I already have plenty of bass power, an eighteen sound 21lw1400 sub tuned to 30hz powered by a behringer ep4000 amp and an SVS pb-13 ultra tuned to 15 hz both running together.

Cheers, David

- Twelves do go higher than Fifteens ( cleaner ).
- 1.7KHz is really too high for a 15" woofer to handle with any grace ( up here, 15s have more distortion & are more directional than a 12 / though some may like the distortion ) .
- You'll still need subs to get a full range listening experiece / which ones ( if any ) are you looking at ?

moparfan
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
it has the 6.5 inch driver from the cinema series, the 2408 from the powered vertex and a dual-differential 15 inch woofer.

With an electronic crossover and digital amps, I think this should work out well for HT work. It has massive output capability - certainly enough headroom to work in your home. Add a subwoofer and you should be set.

Can anyone find data on the 265F and 195H drivers?

Here's the general product info sheet for the PRX535:

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/support/getfile.aspx?docid=594&doctype=3

moparfan
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
very light

http://www.jacksmusicfactory.com/default.asp?productid=91609_JBL_265F-1_LF_Driver

Earl K
04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
JBL TS Parameters (http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Thiele%20Small%20Parameters/Theile%20Parameters.pdf) has the pertinent information for the 262 & 265 series of woofers .

The Mylar diaphragm-ed 2408 is an easy-listening / good performer with the 262 or 265 woofers being modern evolutions of the ( 12" ) 2206 and ( 15" 2226 ).

Um-mm, I misspoke within that post ( sorry :o: need to re-gap the spark plugs I guess :p ) ; the differential-drive equivalents to the 2206H & 2226H are the 2262H & the 2265H ( not the 262 & 265 ) .

Can anyone find data on the 265F and 195H drivers?
Contact Zilch, he's got a pretty good track record for digging up info on these more obscure JBLPro drivers .

<> cheers :)