PDA

View Full Version : Good JBL/Altec Utility Cab. Gray Paint?

farleybob
04-24-2009, 06:37 PM
After unsuccesfully trying to give away an ugly but solid Altec A-7 cabinet, I've decided to go ahead and fix it up. I stripped off some cruddy veneer and sanded everything down and am getting ready to paint. Any opinions on particularly good or bad gray spray paints for a utility cabinet?

Goodwill_HiFi
04-24-2009, 07:08 PM
After unsuccesfully trying to give away an ugly but solid Altec A-7 cabinet, I've decided to go ahead and fix it up. I stripped off some cruddy veneer and sanded everything down and am getting ready to paint. Any opinions on particularly good or bad gray spray paints for a utility cabinet?

I'd skip the spray paint, and by some good old fashioned oil based primer and paint, if you get can it in your area. I think, it's still available in quarts in most states. Apply it with a foam roller.

SMKSoundPro
04-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Ditto.

3dbdown
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Try Zolatone...It was the original gray used on JBL...textured, not cheap, but worth it. Check online.

Steve Schell
05-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Medium to dark gray paint finishes appeared on Altec and other theatre gear around the end of WWII. I think it is no coincidence, as the world was awash in military surplus gray paint at the time.

For many years I have painted horns of various types with flat to semi-gloss water based interior latex paint. It is forgiving, rolls on easy, dries fast and looks good.

UreiCollector
05-07-2009, 07:11 AM
I've used and have had great success with DuraTex paint. It's available in a whole bunch of colors, and is quite durable.....

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119