PDA

View Full Version : How to tighten speaker posts

badman
04-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Hi crew:

How can I tighten the terminals on a speaker? They're mounted by a screw (these are spring-loaded JBL terms) but the only way I see to access it is when the cone's out or with a very specific driver, the only angled drivers I know being way too 'tall' at the angled section to fit in.

This is interfering with my connection to the voicecoil, which is, obviously, a bad thing.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

subwoof
04-24-2009, 09:22 PM
get a small #2 right angle ratchet screwdriver from home depot. You can tighten without removing the cone....

sub

badman
04-25-2009, 11:29 PM
I have an angled, ratcheting driver, but there's insufficient clearance. I've not seen a driver WITH sufficient clearance, sadly. My next step, if there's not a specialized, set-tip driver for this, is to run a jumper from the tinsel wire terminal to the spring clip and thus make the screwdown connection redundant....

04-29-2009, 09:53 PM
I have an angled, ratcheting driver, but there's insufficient clearance. I've not seen a driver WITH sufficient clearance, sadly. My next step, if there's not a specialized, set-tip driver for this, is to run a jumper from the tinsel wire terminal to the spring clip and thus make the screwdown connection redundant....

I would try a 1/4" screwdriver bit to see if it fits, and if so try turning it with a 1/4" wrench. If not, cut it down till it does...

Also, NON-ratcheting 90 degree drivers might fit.