PDA

View Full Version : Ti diaphragm in a vintage HF driver

robertbartsch
04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
OK - so I saw some ads saying that you could install a new factory Ti diaphragm in a vintage HF driver like the 2420.

Is this possible and what is the impact?

Beowulf57
04-23-2009, 08:32 AM
I have come across a few threads with comments on aluminum versus titanium diaphragms in the LE85/2420...aluminum has been rated as smoother and titanium has been called brighter/possibly harsher. The diamond pattern aluminum and titanium may also have a bit more extended HF response. Will the most recent Ti diaphragms fit? Sorry, that I do not know.

hjames
04-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Another comment is that aluminium gets fatigued after repeated flexing, but titanium is stronger (takes abuse better) and doesn't fail as quickly.

The general gist has been that titanium is better for commercial use (tougher) and that aluminium is better in home use - but various folks have argued over that before.

Also, if you get a titanium driver treated (coated) with Aquaplas, thats supposed to take some of the harshness out.

I have some aquaplas treated 2425H drivers on the way, but I can't speak about their sound directly as they haven't arrived yet.