PDA

View Full Version : L96 woofer problem

infinityQ2
04-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Just picked up a beautiful pair of L96s off craigslist for $25. The only problem is one of the woofers is not working. When I press on the cone it does not move at all, Frozen. I hooked it up and did get some, very little, transistor radio type sound. Does this sound like a recone could be a fix?? any idea of the cost?? it's an LE10-H woofer. All other drivers are correct and in working order, dentless I'm so happy to say..:applaud::applaud::applaud:

rdgrimes
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Is the cone distorted? Re-cone is the only sure fix, but you could take the surround and dust cap off and have a look.

infinityQ2
04-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Is the cone distorted? Re-cone is the only sure fix, but you could take the surround and dust cap off and have a look.

The cone and dust cap are in perfect condition, the surround has been completely removed, no dents or nicks on the frame.

BMWCCA
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Just picked up a beautiful pair of L96s off craigslist for $25. The only problem is one of the woofers is not working. Was it this pair? Date and location seems to match. Note the description: "One of the round speakers on one of them fell out - we have it, though."

boston craigslist > north shore > free stuff

JBL Speakers (Rowley)
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-04-20, 10:33PM EDT

2 rectangular speakers. One of the round speakers on one of them fell out - we have it, though.

Otherwise, I guess they work. I can get measurements if you need them, but my guess is somewhere around 24" high x 12" wide.

infinityQ2
04-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Was it this pair? Date and location seems to match. Note the description: "One of the round speakers on one of them fell out - we have it, though."

Yes it was, One of the woofers needs a complete recone, got an estimate of $240. I am in the process of purchasing an LE10H-1 for $75 Hope it shows up in good condition.

BMWCCA
04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes it was . . .
So you paid $25 for a pair of L96s that was listed "for free" on CL? Did you get involved in a bidding war? ;)

Must be a story in there somewhere.

I wonder how hard the LE10H-1 hit the floor when it "fell out"? :blink:

Good luck with the replacement.

infinityQ2
05-01-2009, 07:30 PM
So you paid $25 for a pair of L96s that was listed "for free" on CL? Did you get involved in a bidding war? ;)

Must be a story in there somewhere.

I wonder how hard the LE10H-1 hit the floor when it "fell out"? :blink:

Good luck with the replacement.

Actually the wife thought it "fell" out. The screws were screwed back into the cabinet so the husband must have taken it out, brought it to a repair shop and found out how much a recone would cost. The estimate I got was $240 so I'm sure he said no thanks just get rid of them. They were advertised for "free" but I felt so guilty I gave her the $25. Least I could do...........;)