PDA

View Full Version : Screw the recession

MikeBrewster77
04-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I decided it was time to get a new CD player, so I headed to my single source of high[er] end audio, the great folks at Overture Ultimate Audio in Wilmington, DE. I highly recommend them (they have a website if you care to google it) and they do custom work up and down the east coast. My intent was simple - buy a new CD player to replace my adequate, but not "reference" quality Denon.

So, how is it that I wound up making a substantial contribution to fighting the recession? How did I wind up spending more in audio gear in the span of two hours than I spent on my first 4 cars COMBINED? I don't know, exactly, but I'm still trying to get my heart rate down to an acceptable level.

Anyway, Mikey has a new main system:

- CD player: Rotel RCD 1070
- Amplifier: McIntosh MC 7150
- Pre-amplifier: Luxman CX 100 (unrelated to today's purchase, bought earlier in the week on the web)
- Speakers: *gulp* this one's a heresy here, so I'm not going to reveal the brand or model :o:.

The speakers are on order, so the reference system is now being pumped through my Control 5's. The best way to summarize is quite simply holy shit, what a difference!!! :applaud:

On a side note, without any available products in my budget (which wasn't exactly small, but not Everest-level) that are available to audition, I really felt like I was backed into a corner on choosing a non-JBL loudspeaker, and I have to say, that really saddens me.

Nonetheless, there will still be plenty of JBL throughout the house (office, bedroom, etc.) ;)

P.S., yeah, I know the set-up looks like crap right now with wires everywhere, improper speaker positioning, etc. I just haven't had a chance to clean it up yet...been kinda busy listening.

MikeBrewster77
04-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Great suggestion - that does look much better :D!

Thanks,
- Mike

Mike

A friendly suggestion .....if you resize your pics to 700 pixels wide, the pics and text will not require constant horiz scrolling to read it. :D

TOM

Mr. Widget
04-18-2009, 04:37 PM
- Speakers: *gulp* this one's a heresy here, so I'm not going to reveal the brand or model :o:. Bose huh?

Goes to show you... a good salesman can sell you almost anything. ;)

Widget

neanderthal
04-18-2009, 05:03 PM
- Speakers: *gulp* this one's a heresy here, so I'm not going to reveal the brand or model :o:.

Bose? YIKES!!!!

http://www.topix.com/forum/who/bose

MikeBrewster77
04-18-2009, 05:46 PM
LMFAO -Bose!!!!! That was a good one. :barf:

Not in this lifetime...

Bose huh?

Goes to show you... a good salesman can sell you almost anything. ;)

Widget

Krunchy
04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey Mike, congrats! Like that Rotel & the Luxman, they look sweet! :applaud:
How's everything sounding & what JBL's are you going to hook up to this system :D ;)
(how much juice does that Mac have?)

Seawolf! Ditto on the tip about picture resizing :thmbsup:

MikeBrewster77
04-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks - I'm pretty damned excited myself! :D

Everything works really well together, which obviously makes me very happy! I had a lot of reservations about pulling everything together, since pairing components can work out beautifully, or be a true disaster. I have to say that from my perspective, working with knowledgeable folks at a retailer that really caters to audio is well worth the effort to track one down. The staff at the place I worked with spent about two hours with me, and asked about what I already had, what my sound preferences were, what kind of music I listened to, etc. In short, they cared about making a good match for me (and trust me, I'm at the LOW end of their clientele demographic's price point) and the results have been stunning thus far.

The Mac is a 150X2 @ 8 Ohms amp...and it's a beast at 58lbs unboxed! :blink:

I have Contol 5's hooked up to it at the moment, soon to be supplanted by the speakers on order. In time, I hope to have the chance to actually audition some more JBL to figure out what to pair it with. Nothing I have in the stable today really matches the system, but all in due time ;).

Best,
- Mike

Hey Mike, congrats! Like that Rotel & the Luxman, they look sweet! :applaud:
How's everything sounding & what JBL's are you going to hook up to this system :D ;)
(how much juice does that Mac have?)

Krunchy
04-19-2009, 02:31 PM
All in due time is right, but in the mean time you got a nice system to play/expand & experiment with & that equals fun. I gotta say, you are very fortunate to have access to those folks at the retail shop, those kinds of places are fairly rare these days. Take full advantege of it and them (in a positive way of course) ;)

Enjoy!