PDA

View Full Version : New L100 Foam Grill Inserts

Ralphh
04-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Some time ago, I purchased a pair of L100 foam grill inserts from forum member "sonofagun", which I love. Recently, I have noticed two other sellers of new L100 foam grill reproductions on that big auction site - "Foam trends" and "sculpted-foam-inovations". Does anyone know if these are two new companies, or does one of them have any connection to "sonofagun"?

Has anyone purchase the L100 grills from either of these companies and how do thier products rate?

hjames
04-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Some time ago, I purchased a pair of L100 foam grill inserts from forum member "sonofagun", which I love. Recently, I have noticed two other sellers of new L100 foam grill reproductions on that big auction site - "Foam trends" and "sculpted-foam-inovations". Does anyone know if these are two new companies, or does one of them have any connection to "sonofagun"?

Has anyone purchase the L100 grills from either of these companies and how do thier products rate?

I got a pair of the L100 grills from Lansing member "Indycraft" (ebay ID Foam-trends" - homepage - http://www.foamtrends.com/) and was quite pleased with them - he does the classic colors, and other members here have said good things about them. I opted for a new color of charcoal grey instead of the original Blue/orange/brown colors ...

See -
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=209367&postcount=35
as well as
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=211810&postcount=38

subwoof
04-19-2009, 05:56 AM
the seller on ebay has changed his name a few times for whatever reason(s)...

The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay. http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
User ID
Effective Date
End Date

sculpted-foam-innovations
Dec-06-08
Present

foam-trends
Aug-17-08
Dec-06-08

jbl-s8r
Jun-28-08
Aug-17-08

americanwoodconcepts
Dec-03-06
Jun-28-08

Punch
06-02-2009, 08:47 AM
I need a pair of inserts for my L100s, and I was not sure if I should buy the "Lite" or the "Collector's" series. It is a $75 difference which seems steep for just spraying more paint on them....which they said is the difference. I was not sure how labor intensive it was or if the paint is real $$. Anyone have any experience with the difference between the two?

They had orange foam on there originally, so I would like to return them to their former glory. The speakers are absolutely beautiful.....I just bought them on Saturday, but I am not sure if I am going to keep them or sell them.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd37/nguisto22/jbl_l100_a.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd37/nguisto22/NPG_2026.jpg

Mr. Widget
06-02-2009, 08:58 AM
If you want them to be as close to original as possible I would go with the "collector series"... I did. If you plan on using them as loudspeakers, i.e. want to really listen to them, I'd take the grilles off.

As for the cost differential? Who knows? I do know from my own experience, this foam sucks up the paint like you wouldn't believe... high quality paint is damned expensive. As for the labor, I don't know how these guys can make them and sell them painted for as inexpensively as they do.

Widget

Punch
06-02-2009, 09:03 AM
I think you are right. I have no idea how you can fabricate an OEM product so accurately and sell it for that price...I think it is great, but I was not sure what the real difference was and if it was worth the $75. It sounds like it is.

I did not think about how much paint the foam would soak up...good point.

I just need to know where to find that orange paint so I can paint my L166 grills....hmm

clh1997
09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
In August ’09 I ordered three pairs of L100 inserts from “Sculpted-foam-innovations”
(via Ebay) – one pair in each colour: Brown, Blue and Orange (of course!).

They arrived very well packed: Each pair in its own box and each insert in its own bag inside the box. Boxes safely closed and with USPS track-&-confirm# by mail.

The quality of the inserts is very good: Precisely cut, size fits nicely, well-matched colours, painted evenly etc.

It's clear to see that the Orange ones needed much more paint: Orange being the brightest colour of the three - the foam is dark charcoal-gray.
One can - very slightly – glimpse (or rather sense) the dark foam colour underneath – but they look great and very much as I remember the ones I had back in 1976 (didn’t have the Blue or Brown ones – until now ;)).

I paid USD 80,-/pair for the Brown and Blue ones and USD 120 for the Orange ones.
That is a very fair price, I think.

The guy selling them – Scott – has been fine communicating & dealing with. I think he paints them himself.

All & all I can recommend “Sculpted-foam-innovations” (no affiliation).

PS: They also sell LE-25 foam rings and JBL badges (for the inserts) I got some of both – also OK.

clh1997
09-16-2009, 05:19 AM
In addition to my previous posting about communication with “Sculpted-foam-innovations”:

After I received the inserts, I’ve written to them with my positive feed back – and also asked some questions about possible future business/orders with them.

A couple of weeks (and reminders) have passed – and I’ve heard nothing.

:hmm:

The inserts are still OK – but I advise you to secure good and frequent communication, if attempting to do business with Sculpted-foam-innovations.

rww1951
09-20-2009, 07:13 AM
Check out our website www.foamtrends.com (http://www.foamtrends.com/) , we would be happy to work with you. We have a lot of very satisfied International customers and we are both Lansing Heritage members. Bart (Indycraft) and Roger (RWW1951).

sperkerchef
08-16-2010, 08:02 PM
What makes sculpted foam innovations superior to foamtrends is that the grilles are made to the exact specifications of the originals. Furthermore the foamtrends collectors version use a paint that slightly dampens the sound. I've bought grilles from both companies and have to say I prefer sculpted innovations.

hjames
08-17-2010, 02:58 AM
What makes sculpted foam innovations superior to foamtrends is that the grilles are made to the exact specifications of the originals. Furthermore the foamtrends collectors version use a paint that slightly dampens the sound. I've bought grilles from both companies and have to say I prefer sculpted innovations.

Well - I have bought a couple pairs of foams from Foamtrends and they have been professional all the way, have shipped quickly, and their products have been an ace fit on both the L100s I fixed up and sold, and the L200s I still enjoy.

LRBacon
08-19-2010, 08:09 PM

I too have also purchased L100 grilles from Foamtrends and have not noticed any dampening of the sound. If they did it would be a good thing, since the L100 is overly bright and forward with the brilliance and presence controls in the flat position anyway.

Larry B.

CountD
08-29-2010, 05:25 PM
I can personally say that Sculpted Foam Innovations offers a superior product - he is a total JBL enthusiast. He has been out and about lately because of a massive move to Washington state and is a serious JBL guy, enthusiast, listener and collector. He is back up on eBay right now and his products cannot be beat - most of his business is to Japan where they are really serious about their L100s - so much so he sells the grills to a guy who makes them from the ground up.

Mr. Widget
08-29-2010, 05:36 PM
I can personally say that Sculpted Foam Innovations offers a superior product - he is a total JBL enthusiast.I was part of the team that helped the guys at Foamtrends develope theirs... they seem to be an exact replica of the original samples we managed to find... I can imagine both being equally excellent, but one clearly superior to the other?

...he is a total JBL enthusiast.Who here isn't? :D

Widget

brutal
08-29-2010, 10:48 PM
I can personally say that Sculpted Foam Innovations offers a superior product - he is a total JBL enthusiast. He has been out and about lately because of a massive move to Washington state and is a serious JBL guy, enthusiast, listener and collector. He is back up on eBay right now and his products cannot be beat - most of his business is to Japan where they are really serious about their L100s - so much so he sells the grills to a guy who makes them from the ground up.

Superior? Based on what measurement?

I can tell you firsthand that he was a complete flake when he wanted to buy my L100A's a few years ago and jerked me around on an already agreed to price, shipping cost and was also slow to communicate. I finally nixed the deal because I didn't feel comfortable dealing with him after all the games.

^ all true and matter of fact ^

-- potential feelings hurt comment deleted --

Duffinator
08-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Does anyone know if Foamtrends has the wood stands back in stock? I contacted them earlier in the year and they said they were out of stock and would need to make another production run. I haven't heard back from them. I'll use them with my 4425's.

saeman
08-30-2010, 12:47 PM
Little Known Facts About Sculpted Foam Innovations !!

This guy started into the L100 foam grille market by contacting forum member INDYCRAFT with the claim that he wanted to place a very large order for the foams being offered by Foam Trends. He claimed to have near 100 pairs of L100's and wanted to cut a deal for large numbers. After receiving a small number of pairs at a very discounted price, the guy dissappeared and could not be contacted.

He then copied the Foam Trends product and started selling on ebay. He made repeated claims to INDYCRAFT that he would put Foam Trends out of business. This guy was obviously skipping school during the time lessons were given for common decency, integrity and honesty.

One of his ebay names was Foam-Trends, as noted earlier in this thread. This was an attempt to improve his sales; by stealing a name that many were already familiar with. Foam Trends is a legal corporation registered with this name. It took many weeks and threats of legal action before ebay finally forced him to abandon this name.

I've seen his product and claims that it is superior to all others are false; likely being made by persons who are related to this clown or have not seen others for comparison. I own foams made by all 3 of the guys previously mentioned. I personally feel that the base foam is inferior (with smaller pours) and that he is using cheap paint - my opinion after making direct A/B comparisons.

His claims about hugh sales to the hugh L100 market in Japan are false. There is no big L100 market in Japan and nobody mass producing L100 clones. The L100 is not a big seller there. I have forwarded a few pairs of Foam Trends replacement foams to a friend in Japan but they have been a real slow sell.

As usual - my 2 cents on a subject for free.

Rick

rtrimman
08-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Little Known Facts About Sculpted Foam Innovations !!

This guy started into the L100 foam grille market by contacting forum member INDYCRAFT with the claim that he wanted to place a very large order for the foams being offered by Foam Trends. He claimed to have near 100 pairs of L100's and wanted to cut a deal for large numbers. After receiving a small number of pairs at a very discounted price, the guy dissappeared and could not be contacted.

He then copied the Foam Trends product and started selling on ebay. He made repeated claims to INDYCRAFT that he would put Foam Trends out of business. This guy was obviously skipping school during the time lessons were given for common decency, integrity and honesty.

One of his ebay names was Foam-Trends, as noted earlier in this thread. This was an attempt to improve his sales; by stealing a name that many were already familiar with. Foam Trends is a legal corporation registered with this name. It took many weeks and threats of legal action before ebay finally forced him to abandon this name.

I've seen his product and claims that it is superior to all others are false; likely being made by persons who are related to this clown or have not seen others for comparison. I own foams made by all 3 of the guys previously mentioned. I personally feel that the base foam is inferior (with smaller pours) and that he is using cheap paint - my opinion after making direct A/B comparisons.

His claims about hugh sales to the hugh L100 market in Japan are false. There is no big L100 market in Japan and nobody mass producing L100 clones. The L100 is not a big seller there. I have forwarded a few pairs of Foam Trends replacement foams to a friend in Japan but they have been a real slow sell.

As usual - my 2 cents on a subject for free.

Rick

Double Ditto! I tried his as well after buying my first pair from Bart at Foam Trends, there is a huge difference in quality and attitude. I own 4 pairs of Foam Trends grilles and am about to order 3 more!

rtrimman
08-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know if Foamtrends has the wood stands back in stock? I contacted them earlier in the year and they said they were out of stock and would need to make another production run. I haven't heard back from them. I'll use them with my 4425's.

I have a message in to Bart, I'll ask and post up the info when I hear from him.

brutal
08-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Am I the only one that caught this?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29299-Foam-Grilles-Available

hjames
08-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Am I the only one that caught this?

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?29299-Foam-Grilles-Available

Bit more melody might help ...
What are you almost saying?

brutal
08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Bit more melody might help ...
What are you almost saying?

Did you look at the link?

I always thought you were a little quicker on the uptake than most, need more coffee? :D

hjames
08-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Did you look at the link?

I always thought you were a little quicker on the uptake than most, need more coffee? :D

What's the point?

He tries to steal another vendor's name,
claims to be miles beyond another vendors product -
it still sounds like another wanna be fast buck ebay seller.

why waste any more time on him ...?

brutal
08-31-2010, 05:31 PM
What's the point?

He tries to steal another vendor's name,
claims to be miles beyond another vendors product -
it still sounds like another wanna be fast buck ebay seller.

why waste any more time on him ...?

Please help me understand why you bothered to comment then.

hjames
08-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Please help me understand why you bothered to comment then.
Again, as I asked this morning - your original comment didn't provide enough melody ...
I asked you to show us what the wisdom was you were trying to impart that didn't quite come through ...
Seemed like a simple enough request, but you went smarmy in the process -
your passive-aggressive comebacks are unwelcome ...

sperkerchef
08-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm calling you out brutal your 100% wrong about sculpted foam innovations. I've ordered numerous pairs of grilles from this guy and they have been nothing less than excellent every time. I'm not sure why you have a problem with this guy but I don't see why you feel the need to wrongly attack. Take your negativity and bs to another forum.

brutal
09-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Again, as I asked this morning - your original comment didn't provide enough melody ...
I asked you to show us what the wisdom was you were trying to impart that didn't quite come through ...
Seemed like a simple enough request, but you went smarmy in the process -
your passive-aggressive comebacks are unwelcome ...

lolz, the PA queen calling the kettle black.

'nuf said.

brutal
09-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm calling you out brutal your 100% wrong about sculpted foam innovations. I've ordered numerous pairs of grilles from this guy and they have been nothing less than excellent every time. I'm not sure why you have a problem with this guy but I don't see why you feel the need to wrongly attack. Take your negativity and bs to another forum.

I'm not attacking him on the product, I made no such assertion and have no direct experience with said product. I simply asked for proof by measure of the product "superiority" claimed by another poster. However, I do take issue with his methods and believe I made that perfectly clear.

You need to go back and reread my post if you have any doubt. And then you need to take your sock puppet BS elsewhere.

"Superior? Based on what measurement?

I can tell you firsthand that he was a complete flake when he wanted to buy my L100A's a few years ago and jerked me around on an already agreed to price, shipping cost and was also slow to communicate. I finally nixed the deal because I didn't feel comfortable dealing with him after all the games.

^ all true and matter of fact ^

-- potential feelings hurt comment deleted --"