PDA

View Full Version : Bo The Dang Car Installer

Ian Mackenzie
05-29-2004, 08:06 PM
In my travels across the USA I saw some funny things but this tops it.

The story goes like this........Bo the kind heart dude that he is offers to help out a young lad with the installationof his Alpine subwoofers.

The boy bought one of those 10 inch driver sets and retro fitable boxes that can take either a 10 or a 12 inch driver using a large plastic adapter.

So there we are, the three of us in Bo's garage, musing over the driver installation specs, glass of red in hand.

Bo was quick off the mark with the T/L specs, "Yep 33 herts FS it is " from a chart that has the port tuning. The lad was very quiet and maybe gave the impression he was a bit thick or one of those slow country types.

"Okay boy" Bo hollers ..."I got this sus'd out. We don't need to cut the port, this won't talk a jiffy".

So Bo grabs the port and attempts to mount it in the box. he was struggling for a minute or two while I was talking to the Boy about his pickup truck.

Anyways, I said Bo, "give me a look at this thing it don't look right."

So here we are, Bo was trying to fit the round port tube in an oval hole adapter, you know one of those adapters that will only go one way.

"I mean hello, of course it won't fit Dude", me and the Boy just pee'd laughing. I grabbed the right adapter out of the carton and we were in like flynn. I mean Jesus how how long does it take for the penny the drop.

Bo's reaction was shall we say embarrasing, "you Dang Aussie Blah Blah".

Talk about taking the piss, right in front of the Lad too.

Lucky I was there, it might have been a long night otherwise..

I never heard the end of it all night.....blah blah muhahahahah

This could turn into an interesting thread....

Ian:rotfl:

Hofmannhp
05-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
In my travels across the USA I saw some funny things but this tops it.
......Bo the kind heart dude that he is offers to help .........

This could turn into an interesting thread....

Ian:rotfl:

Hi Ian,

I'd (we'd) like to read more of your US experiances.....:cool:

HP

Ian Mackenzie
05-30-2004, 09:58 AM
HP,

Thats a very broad question,

At the moment I can't decide whether I prefer northern Californian woman or the New Yorkers, they both HIT on me equaly HARD.

Now let me see, there was my opening line at the pub in San Francisco when we met the Widget, I was just warming up.

Then there as the Girl at the La Honda pub..she was dripping wet, the lovely Karen up in the Sierra's.yummy..to die for, the female pilot on the Grand Canyon tour...go a photo of her and me..wow, the promo Bab at the Stereophile show in NY...very sexy...Rob will recall that, the young lady at Jones Beach...so sweet, the chick I met in the National Art Gallery in DC..very seductive, the list goes on...muhahah.

But I think arriving at SFO was amusing (Bo is a practical joker) and deciding with Rob sacking everyone was the only sensible thing we could do (on the project) while touring the micro brewery's of Midtown NY.

But seriously,

Put the USA down for your next overseas vacation.

Its a wonderful country, the degree of cultural diversity is quite surprising, scenic beauty and great people.

When I have the jet lag out of the way I will post pictures and detail some of the more amusing moments.

But in the mean time I am sure Bo will come back with a boomer of a joke he played on me when I arrived at SFO...the bugger caught me off guard.

Ian

Ian

boputnam
05-30-2004, 10:41 AM
one of those adapters that will only go one way.
:banghead:

And where were you, when I solved the Phenomenally Farting Woofer syndrome, :hmm: ?

I think the lad was afraid of us both. He understood nothing of what we were trying to accomplish with all the graphs and specs provided by the disparate makers of auto stereo parts he brought over.

'matter of fact, I'm dead certain the look in his eye told me he was from the "Plug-and-Play" end of the gene pool... ;)

Ian Mackenzie
05-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Okay SIR,

I was admiring Pebble Beach like you told me to.

I understand " you" were testing your hypothesis at work naughty boy.

I think he the Lad was "Unplugged" as it were.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
05-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Actually,

Better you let every one know about the silly farting plastic ring adapter, then archive it ..just in case a teenager brings one home.

Call it Bo's Phenomenally Farting Woofer syndrome, ?

Ian

boputnam
05-30-2004, 03:59 PM
...let every one know about the silly farting plastic ring adapter, then archive it Good point - regretably, we are without pics... :(

The lad in question - er, not the damned Aussie - bought a pair of nicely constructed ~1.0ft3 sub cabinets, and a pair of 10-in subs (Alpine). The cabinets were clever in that they included a port-length tuning chart (related to the Fs of whatever sub the victim had bought). But, the cabinets were unclever in that the baffle-cut was oversized to fit "whatever sub the vicitim had bought" - and tried to achieve airtight with an expanding plastic collar.

This did not work, AT ALL. :no: There was no way to sufficiently tighten the sub to the cabinet and make it airtight. As well, the sub was only attached with self-threading wood screws - as we all know, it should have had T nuts for proper tightness and to distribute the stress.

What we did do, but only in the protection of our shop, was to use a few laps of closed-cell insulation foam strips on both the baffle cut (between the baffle and the collar), and again on the collar (between the collar and the sub). This worked real good.

But the short story is, DO NOT BUY PRE-CUT BAFFLES unless they are sized for the exact subs you are planning to use.

'nuff said...