PDA

View Full Version : ProAc Future One

boputnam
05-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Anyone know these? I'm not into audiophile gear, but a good friend has them and thinks they're tops. As the maker sez, they are reassuringly expensive... :eek:

Anyway, we were using SmaartLIVE to EQ his room, and there was a pronounced notch at 315Hz (tailed-off toward 400Hz a bit, too). I suspect it is the crossover point, but of-course the brochures tell nothing. Correcting for that 6-8dB notch, improved the realness, measureably. In one instance, we were using a violin concerto which sounded fine (EQ bypassed) - but then switching-in the curve, the rich wooden body of the instrument became so wonderfully present, it changed / improved the entire soundstage.

The entire fullness was deleteriously impacted by that pronounced notch in the Second Decade. As I say, it's shape suggested a crossover point, and perhaps a poorly chosen one at that.

Help?

johnaec
05-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Out of phase at the crossover point?

John

boputnam
05-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Hey, John...

Could be. But, if it is the crossover point, they intentionally engineered that notch, and I wonder "why"... :hmm: It's canyon-like. Real detraction from some interesting speakers, which otherwise lacked for nothing except any sub 100Hz response... ;)

johnaec
05-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Maybe in their "wisdom" they assumed that the average listening room has standing waves around that point so they decided to "compensate" for this, though that's pretty high. I really don't know...

John

Mr. Widget
06-01-2004, 01:30 PM
I doubt that the speakers have a deep notch at 315Hz inherently in their design. I would move them about the room and even try them in another room to see if the placement of them within the room is the problem.

Widget

Don McRitchie
06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, in this case four.

Bo - You want to know the background of ProAc. ProAc is a British company that made their name with very expensive speakers that used ATC drivers. Their product line has considerably broadened, but their top of the line speakers continue to use ATC components. ATC is a very highly regarded professional monitor company based in the UK. They make powered monitors, and more recently, home speakers that sell for as much as $40K. Their reputation is based on their drivers that were designed by their founder Bill Woodman. Bill has stated in print that the single greatest influence in his career was JBL's Ed May. How's that for making an off topic thread maginally and barely consequentially on topic?

Don

boputnam
06-01-2004, 10:21 PM
Hey, Don...

That's a great post - thanks. Very interesting to see how the universe is revolving around Project May, even when one may not be aware of it! :rotfl:

Well, I like the FutureOne model I heard - if you like that kind of thing. Very, very clear, but they don't move much air, if you know what I mean. I found them lacking bass - seriously - but couldn't tell if that was the room of by-design. I know they are horribly expensive, and beautiful craftsmanship. They certainly benefited from minimal EQ - particularly to correct that pronounced notch around 315Hz.

Anyway, no-one at ProAc has replied to my email re: the crossover specifics. Figures...