PDA

View Full Version : 16ohms and 8 ohms comp/drivers

hifiapart
04-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Hello,
Well this is my 1st question here and please excuse me if the answer is too obvious!:o:

If I have say a pair of altec 288-16's is it possible to convert it to 8ohms by changing the diaphragm? Any other solution like resistance?

I have 8ohms output impedance on my amps (SET) and I guess that it would be better to use 8ohms impedance drivers?

Thanks
TG

spkrman57
04-11-2009, 08:52 AM
You could change the diaphrams to 8 ohms, but adding a parallel 16 ohm resistor across the 16 ohm driver will also give you a 8 ohm end result.

Since you have to (I'm guessing that is) attenuate the horns this should not hinder you with loss of effeciency.

Regards, Ron

Mr. Widget
04-11-2009, 09:28 AM
If you don't need to change the diaphragms, I wouldn't do it to simply change the impedance... lots of people use the "wrong" tap because they find it sounds better... how do they sound on your amp with the 8 ohm tap? If you like the sound then they work, if not, changing diaphragms is one option, but there are many others...

Widget

hifiapart
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Ron,

Thanks, so use resistors would be best solution I guess.

Widget,

The speakers have yet to be built!

My SET has 8ohms output TX's, and maybe 16ohms will be okay after all.

My intention is to construct altec a8 cabinets, source the compression drivers & bass units and DIY the xover.

Based on the "availability" issue I may have to get 16ohms, find that 8ohms are less available.

This will be my 1st project. Any comments will be obviously welcomed!

Tim