PDA

View Full Version : L65A xo question..

JANDG
04-11-2009, 05:27 AM
I went through my pair of L65A a year ago or so replacieng all resistors with Mills, but left the caps alone as they did test o.k. & did not know what type they were as never seen them before. Are they a type of Lytic..? They have a paper/cardboard type surround with long leadouts & white filled top. I would like to replace all of the caps except for any film caps allready in there. I had the 122a'a refoamed & tested @ Morgan sound near Seattle. They sound good thru large tube amps, but the caps most likely should go I suspect. I run them on 120lbs steel sand fill stands which is night & day on clean bass for this speaker.If you got em don't run em on the floor... Also has anyone ran these active in bi-& or tri amp configuration & maybe what were your settings..? Thanks for any help. I have a diagram of all L-65 type XO's.
Joe

4313B
04-11-2009, 05:47 AM
JBL used mylar and electrolytic capacitors back then.

They now use polypropylene and electrolytic capacitors.

JANDG
04-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the info.
I just finished the re-cap. The 13.5uf caps are now a stacked PP affair w/ the use of 3-PP caps for 13.5 exactly & a single PP 4 uf . I went ahead & left in the 1.5uf Mylar caps for the HF CD as they were spot on. The 13.5uf had drifted on both speakers & not the same drift. Anyway they are all goners & everything sounds very good. I suspect they are slightly smoother, but need more time then 10 min. The 100+ sand filled steel stands do more for this speaker than anything else. Glad to get that over with & now to the music.
Joe